WLAN Server between two computers and an iPhone

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: WLAN Server don't respond to requests from iOS/Android devices.

Comments

• ciaranj
    ciaranj
    Community Member
    Options

I am also seeing this issue. Syncing has worked perfectly for years, now all of a sudden has stopped working between my iPhone and Macbook. On the same network I can successfully sync between my iPhone and Windows PC so neither the network nor the phone are mis-configured.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ciaranj,

It sounds like your situation might be a little different than the one in the previous discussion, so I've moved your message to a new thread. I hope you don't mind!

If I understand, you've been using your iPhone as a "bridge" between your Mac and your Windows PC by syncing it via WLAN Server with one computer, and then switching it to sync with the other. Unfortunately, you're going to run into some trouble with that, as the WLAN Server sync option was designed to work between a single computer (Mac or Windows) and one or more iOS/Android devices.

The problem is that you need to disable the WLAN Server option on the iOS device in order to switch from syncing it with one computer to the other. Each time you do that, it removes information about the sync state with the previous computer/server. When you set it up again, there's no history of previous syncs, so it has to compare every field of every item in the vault on both devices to figure out what to keep and what changes need to be made, and that can lead to conflicts and various sync problems.

Now, that doesn't necessarily explain why you aren't able to sync between your Mac and iPhone, as you should still be able to do that. The problem would be with the results of the sync, and shouldn't prevent the sync from initiating in the first place. But I wanted to explain why you might end up running into problems even if you get WLAN Server to work again.

Your best option for syncing 1Password between Mac, Windows, and iOS is with a 1Password.com account. You wouldn't need to worry about sync settings or choosing which computer to sync your iPhone with - your account data would automatically sync between each device where you've signed into your account in the 1Password app. There are also many other advantages which you can read about here: What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

If you don't want to sign up for an account, your next best sync option would be Dropbox. We have more information about each sync option here: Sync your 1Password data

But if you would still prefer to use WLAN Server (even though it isn't designed for a setup with multiple computers), and it won't connect between your Mac and iPhone, you'll need to try the troubleshooting steps here: If you're having trouble using the WLAN server

Hopefully that helps, but please let us know if you have questions about any of that! :)

• ciaranj
    ciaranj
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hmm, ok well that does explain why syncing has occasionally been 'weird' historically (e.g. more items updating that I had in my vault!!) , however it did previously always go through the stages of 'started, run, synced' before (and the weirdness was always on the iOS -> Windows side)

I've run through the troubleshooter yes and nothing stood out. My current 'solution' is to use 'iCloud' to sync between OSX + iOS,and then switch over to WLAN Server between iOS + Windows (which works, bearing in mind the caveats you pointed out above that I was unaware of previously :/ )

I'm just puzzled as to why this has 'suddenly' stopped working!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ciaranj,

If you've tried all the applicable suggestions in the troubleshooting guide but nothing solved the problem, it's extremely difficult for us to figure out what's wrong, as it probably means there's something specific about the configuration of one of your devices or your network that's causing it not to work. Our WLAN Server troubleshooting guide collects all the solutions we know, but unfortunately there are a lot of things beyond our control that can interfere with the WLAN Server option.

I'm glad the combination of iCloud and WLAN Server is working for you to sync between Mac, Windows, and your iPhone, but that's a more complicated sync setup than necessary. Is there a reason you chose to do it that way instead of using Dropbox, or better yet, trying a 1Password.com account?

This discussion has been closed.