Firefox extension not multiprocess compatible.

I just updated to Firefox 54 which now support multiprocess: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/06/firefox-multiple-content-processes/

Sadly it seems the 1Password extension/add-on isn't compatible and prevents me from running Firefox in multiprocess mode :(

Will we see an updated extension soon?

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.7 (670008) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: MacOS
Sync Type: 1Password for families.

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hello @jramskov,

Great question! We are currently working on E10S support and making significant progress. This is a big change and will be released once it has been thoroughly tested. We don't have a definitive release date at this time, but I assure you we are getting super excited over here at AigleBits.

Cheers,
    Andrew

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Good to hear, thanks for the quick, as usual, response.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@jramskov: You're very welcome! :) :+1:

• niluje
    niluje
    Community Member

Just to say I'd love to have an updated plugin. I had to disable the 1password extension to have multiprocess enabled and... it sucks.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @niluje,

We're looking forward to having it released :chuffed: It'll be really nice to have this one put to rest.

If you ever need anything else, please don't hesitate to write again. We're always here to help.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• diegocambronero
    diegocambronero
    Community Member

Is there an update about this topic?

8-)

• jolg
    jolg
    Community Member

+1 I can't enable the multiprocess as the latest 1Password for Firefox beta (4.6.7.b3) is not compatible yet!

Please keep up posted when this release make it to the beta :+1:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

There is no update @diegocambronero. Moving to the WebExtensions approach requires a completely new method of communication between the extension and 1Password. With the Chrome and Chromium extension the new approach could live side by side with the old one while we tested but for WebExtensions it will be a case of making a clean transition. This means we have to have support for the new method of communication working well in 1Password on all supported platforms before we can release even a beta extension.

We're making progress but cannot release a multiprocess compatible version until everything is in place.

• mruszczyk
    mruszczyk
    Community Member

I noticed the latest update to the Windows app includes native messaging with Firefox, or claims to.

However reading the Mac App patch notes shows that their native messaging capabilities are still in beta.
    https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM4

Is that what we are waiting on is the Mac App to get native messaging support before the firefox extension can enter beta?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Essentially, yes.

• jolg
    jolg
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables I see! Thank you for the info :) -> Good luck and happy to test the new extension when ready!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

;) :+1:

• apraetor
    apraetor
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

My bet is the new extension will be released before November 28, 2017; in their announcement last year that extensions must move to WebExtensions due to multiprocess upgrades that's when Mozilla stated Firefox will drop support for the existing extension (FF 57). Sorry, that sentence got away from me. So we've got an upper bound, at least. :)

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Indeed we have @apraetor. :)

• Shaq2k
    Shaq2k
    Community Member

Nag, nag :P

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for all the passion, folks. We're very near a beta release but we're doing this with multiple platforms and there are a lot of things to coordinate. Please make sure you're using the beta of 1Password's extension and that'll make sure you're on the inside track to get the update and in the meantime, sit tight and we'll update these various threads when the update is available.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• Ryan Tate
    Ryan Tate
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

I had a much longer comment here, but I'll just cut it to: Hugely disappointing.

Also, installing 1Password should not make my web browsing less safe. That's what your add-on has (unbeknownst to me) been doing for months by blocking multiprocess. Why nor warn people?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Until all the clients support native messaging we cannot make the transition. To do so earlier would completely block all the users of that version from using the Firefox extension at all. We are getting close to being at a point where we can release a beta version of the Firefox extension that uses the new WebExtensions approach and once things are good it will will also release as a stable.

If you feel passionate about it you can force enable e10s. All you will currently lose is the open and fill functionality but other than that the current extension will work.

While people are keen to see e10s enabled I don't quite understand how it being disabled makes browsing less safe. If you have a link which will educate me I would be appreciative :smile:

• jolg
    jolg
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables Thank you for the tip, I'll do that :) I better prefer a faster Firefox than open and fill right now.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Just to clarify, because of reasons I won't go into, if you search for a Login item from inside the 1Password mini menu and select the entry rather than clicking on a website field open and fill will still work. It's when 1Password is passing a URL to the browser and the extension needs the ability to see the URL before it is loaded that will not work. This will return once we're able to move to using the WebExtensions approach.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• Charlie_s
    Charlie_s
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

Other than losing open and fill are there any possible security / stability implications with the 1password extension when force enabling e10?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Not that we're aware of. Mozilla implemented a number of measures to make extensions using the old API compatible with the new approach, the reason open and fill doesn't work is this is one of the areas that did not get what they called a shim and so there wasn't a way to keep it working in e10s.

• mikemccormick
    mikemccormick
    Community Member

Any sign of a beta?

I'd be totally up for beta testing :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mikemccormick: Haha nice. :lol: :+1:

Not yet, but we'll be sure to let you know when we have a beta for you. ;)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

In the meantime, be sure you've updated to the latest version of 1Password for your particular platform since native messaging will be required for the updated Firefox extension. :chuffed:

• mruszczyk
    mruszczyk
    Community Member

Is native messaging for Firefox included in the release version of the Mac app at the moment?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Yes. This is what we have been waiting for before we could ship the WebExtensions update. We're giving folks a bit of time to have the update get out into the wild so that users that are on the beta Firefox extension and the stable 1Password will not suddenly and inexplicably be unable to connect. (The stable channel of 1Password only checks for updates every few days, so we need to give a reasonable amount of time in order to avoid widespread breakage. [technical term :blush:])

• Charlie_s
    Charlie_s
    Community Member

Just to play devils advocate here...

Anyone who is interested enough to be on the beta firefox extension (which only happens if you actively seek it out) is:

• Up to date on their 1Password application
    • If they would for some reason be behind on updates (but honestly why would they be behind? - again this is self selecting. If they're using a password manager they by definition care about security) they are inquisitive and smart enough to figure out what the problem is if their Firefox extension breaks.

...so if you've got a web extension update ready to go - throw it out into the beta channel! ;) :p :)

This discussion has been closed.