To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

new user, password not working, can't figure out how to restart...need help!

Options
CarolS
CarolS
Community Member

Yesterday I downloaded 1password6 (individual subscriber), gave it my credit card to bill in 30 days (for 1 year), got the secret key and set up a master password. Next thing, the password did not work. I had not gotten to the point of setting up the account, entering any info, don't even know how that works. I only heard of 1password yesterday because another account is requesting TOTP authentication, and I can't use google authenticator as I do not have (or want) a smart phone.

Emailed support, got a generic reply, most of which did not apply to me. I tried to use the option of erasing the password by renaming the data file. It said " The next time you open 1Password, it will be as if you’re opening the app for the first time" But when I open 1password I get a screen asking for the 4 items from the emergency kit, including the master password. I am not sure what they mean by "as if you are opening the app for the first time" - It's unclear to me what that means, but that does not seem to be what I get.

I don't know all the lingo and the instructions are very abbreviated, for me at least. It has said "Right-click the 1Password icon in the notification area and choose Exit 1Password." and I had to google "notification area" - what the heck is that? Then there was NO icon there, and I finally figured out how to add one. I think they just mean that the app should be closed before changing the data file name. In the end, I had to delete some duplicate data files, and backup data files. I don't know if that screwed it up?

Do I need to uninstall 1password and reinstall???
1. Would that set up a new account, or just change my existing account?
2. If new account, how do I get the old one deleted so my credit card will not be charged?
3. Does it set up a new secret key?

Or is there something about erasing the password and starting over that I am not doing right??

I just can't find answers to such basic questions and am afraid to do anything now. Yesterday it required installing NET 4.6, and that deleted my anti-virus and corrupted my Office programs which took me hours to fix!

HELP!
THANKS so much in advance -

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: ???

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @CarolS,

Thanks for taking the time to write in with a detailed description of the problem. I'm really sorry to hear you're having so much trouble getting set up.

Before we go any further: can you please try logging in at https://my.1Password.com using the information from your Emergency Kit? Please let me know if you are able to log in there.

Thanks.

Ben

• CarolS
    CarolS
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your help Ben!
    I just tried that and it did not work. I then tried entering my master password with the caps lock key ON, in case I could have set up the password that way by mistake, and that did not work either. It seemed to me that after I set up the password (I think I had to enter it twice?) that I DID enter it successfully. That was before the .NET download and restarting the laptop, and that download messed up my antivirus and also my Office programs, so I wondered if it could have messed up the 1password in some way.
    Maybe it would be easier to have my account deleted, uninstall the 1password, and just start over again? But I would need office help for that, and I don't know how long that takes.
    Carol

• Frank
    Options

Hi CarolS - Thank you for sending over the additional details. I was able to locate the email you sent over to us. I asked Laura to reach out to you and she will be able to assist you via email. You're in great hands :smile: We'll continue the conversation over there. Talk to you soon. :+1:

ref: FVK-19234-137

This discussion has been closed.