App no longer showing Touch ID option to login (didn't change setting), Master Password not working

Options
charlene_chiu
charlene_chiu
Community Member

I was attempting to log into my 1password app on my iPhone today through Touch ID like I always do and a message came up saying my fingerprint wasn't recognized. I think I accidentally continued pressed something that said to continue with my Master Password. Problem is the password I remembered isn't working. And the Touch ID is no longer showing up as an option on the login screen. I tried turning my phone on and off and still no Touch ID. Please help! Thank you so much!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:App no longer showing Touch ID option to login (didn't change setting), Master Password not working

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @charlene_chiu

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

Once you've tried to authenticate with a fingerprint that Touch ID doesn't recognize more than 3 times Touch ID is disabled for 1Password. The only way to re-enable it and decrypt your 1Password data is by entering the correct Master Password. If you cannot remember your Master Password, please see this guide:

If you forgot your Master Password or you can't unlock 1Password - 1Password Support

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• earlymarket
    earlymarket
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. Fingerprint was disabled at the apple store when they replaced the screen. I can no longer login by fingerprint or master password. I can login to the desktop app no problem. I've tried several times to make absolutely sure. How do I login to the app now?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @earlymarket,

Just to clarify: you can unlock 1Password on your computer? Is there any data on the iPhone that isn't available on the computer?

Ben

• knightfall
    knightfall
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I have the same problem. I can login at the computer again and agin, no problem, so I obviously remember the master password. The iPhone doesn't accept it. So I deleted the app and reinstalled it. It finds my 1password.com account fine but when I try to log in it says Master password incorrect. What can I do??
    [UPDATE] I deleted the app, reinstalled it again and scanned the QR code from the web browser. This time the master password (still one and the same) is accepted. But when I select "deauthorize device" on the web browser (Which says I have to log in on my iPhone again), the master password doesn't work anymore on the iPhone.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @knightfall,

When you authorize a device by logging into your 1Password membership with it a unique device identifier (UUID) is generated. When you deauthorize the device it is that UUID that you are deauthorizing. After you've deauthorized the device, even though you are entering the correct Master Password, it sees that the UUID has been deauthorized and will not allow you to unlock from that device. By uninstalling/reinstalling and re-adding your membership you generate a new UUID. You don't have to uninstall/reinstall to reauthorize the device, but you do need to re-enter your Secret Key.

I hope that helps explain what you're seeing. :)

Ben

• Kherman
    Kherman
    Community Member
    Options

I attempted to log into my 1password app on my iPhone today through Touch ID like I always do and the Touch ID option has disappeared. It has been many months since I manually entered my password and I do not recall what it is. I saved my 1password password to another password manager as a safety net, and that password manager is no longer supported by ios 11! Is there a way to reactive the Touch id option so I can log in??

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kherman: No. You cannot "reactivate" Touch ID (or change your password) without knowing your Master Password. If you don't enter your correct Master Password, 1Password cannot decrypt your data. There's juts no way around that. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• graemeblake
    graemeblake
    Community Member
    Options

I simply don't see a touch ID option on the lock screen of 1password. I know my master password and can login, and I have touchid enabled in the settings. But I'm never given the option to use it. Any idea why? There used to be a fingerprint circle I could press to bring up touch ID, but this has disappeared.

• Riptide360
    Riptide360
    Community Member
    Options

The problem is the iOS app 1Password doesn’t give the option for Touch ID if it isn’t turned on at the iOS system level. This can happen when your run an iOS system update (like to iOS11).

You can fix this by pressing your iPhone or iPad home button. Choose Settings > General > Touch ID & Password.

Agile Bits really should keep the option in the app rather than hiding it and just pop up a message saying that you need to turn it on at the iOS system level first (for devices that support it).

It will be curious to see how Agile works with FaceID. Lets hope Apple’s security is up to snuff!

• Ben
    Options

Agile Bits really should keep the option in the app rather than hiding it and just pop up a message saying that you need to turn it on at the iOS system level first (for devices that support it).

I’m not sure I understand what it is that you’re suggesting here?

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The problem is the iOS app 1Password doesn’t give the option for Touch ID if it isn’t turned on at the iOS system level. This can happen when your run an iOS system update (like to iOS11).

@Riptide360: If Touch ID is disabled in iOS Settings, 1Password (or any app) is not told by iOS that this is available on the device — because it isn't until you enable it and set it up.

You can fix this by pressing your iPhone or iPad home button. Choose Settings > General > Touch ID & Password.

Yep! :)

We don't have control over iOS Settings, and not everyone wants to use Touch ID for 1Password; but you can enable Touch ID in 1Password Settings > Security if you want to use it (provided it's enabled on the device).

It will be curious to see how Agile works with FaceID. Lets hope Apple’s security is up to snuff!

I've seen and heard good things:

Face ID Security (Apple)

1Password now looking — and unlocking — iPhone X style (iMore)

Cheers! ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I simply don't see a touch ID option on the lock screen of 1password. I know my master password and can login, and I have touchid enabled in the settings. But I'm never given the option to use it. Any idea why? There used to be a fingerprint circle I could press to bring up touch ID, but this has disappeared.

@graemeblake: It's hard to say without more information, but I've had issues where Touch ID did not work for me at all on a device until I disabled it completely in iOS Settings and set it up again from scratch. However, it sounds like you just haven't unlocked with your Master Password yet. Until you do, Touch ID will not be available. Also, make sure you have the latest version of iOS and 1Password, and check what you have set in 1Password Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password. Cheers! :)

• hilarity
    hilarity
    Community Member
    Options

I’m having the same problem as above. Apple store just replaced my screen and now 1Password doesn’t offer me the option to use my finger to login even tho it’s activated in settings. I️ followed the instructions to disable in Settings, then power cycle the device and re-enable but that didn’t work. Please help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

@hilarity: If all they replaced was the screen, that will not affect 1Password. You might want to follow up with Apple if you're having other problems since your service.

1Password has no control over Touch ID, so the only thing I can suggest is that you remove your fingerprints from System Preferences > Security and setup Touch ID again from scratch. Provided there's nothing wrong with the hardware, that should help as it has others.

• graemeblake
    graemeblake
    Community Member
    Options

TouchID usually works for me, it just sometimes doesn’t show up. It’s not as consistent as it used to be.

• barbarapaese
    barbarapaese
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, when typing my incorrect master password, the option to insert the digital one no longer appears, and I can not remember the master password, how do I recover the main password? Please I need a lot to access the application and I do not know the main password. I have rebooted my Iphone and as I typed the wrong primary password no longer appears the option to read the touch ID

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

TouchID usually works for me, it just sometimes doesn’t show up. It’s not as consistent as it used to be.

@graemeblake: Touch ID's availability depends on how you have things setup on your device. Can you be more specific about what you're seeing and how that doesn't match your settings?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, when typing my incorrect master password, the option to insert the digital one no longer appears, and I can not remember the master password, how do I recover the main password? Please I need a lot to access the application and I do not know the main password. I have rebooted my Iphone and as I typed the wrong primary password no longer appears the option to read the touch ID

@barbarapaese: You will need to enter the correct Master Password for the first account/vault you have setup in 1Password to unlock the app. Until you do that, Touch ID will not be available — just like when you update/restart your device and your passcode is needed before you can unlock it with Touch ID.

(Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Please let me know how it turns out.

• graemeblake
    graemeblake
    Community Member
    Options

I have touchid active on my iphone, and I have it enabled in my 1password settings. Usually, this works. Occasionally, when i open 1password it has no option for touchid. This doesn’t happen after a device reset, and it will happen after I’ve already been using touchid on 1password in the same session.

However, I should note that this has become much less frequent over the past month. I suspect either a 1password update or an ios update largely solve the issue.

What specific setting did you want to know about?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@graemeblake: What do you have in 1Password Settings > Security and 1Password Settings > Advanced > Security? From your comments it really isn't clear the circumstances when Touch ID "sometimes doesn’t show up", but I wonder if you're just expecting to be prompted each time, even if you've missed it previously. Dismissing the Touch ID prompt in 1Password will not disable Touch ID, but it will prevent it from being offered automatically the next time you open 1Password. That's just how Touch ID works. But if Touch ID is still available, you can tap the "fingerprint" icon below the Master Password field to use it. That may help, and if you can provide some details about where you're running into trouble I may be able to offer additional insight. Cheers! :)

ref: VBM-81223-726

• graemeblake
    graemeblake
    Community Member
    Options

I have require master passcode as never in advanced, and touch ID as on in general.

Not referring to dismissal. What happens is I open it, I am prompted for the master password, and there is no thumbprint.

Again, this happens almost never now. Was extremely common a month ago.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@graemeblake I'm glad to hear this isn't happening to you as frequently as it used to. The "Never" setting can sometimes be a bit problematic, because while we do everything we can to make that the case, there are times when Touch ID itself (part of iOS, not 1Password) crashes, and the way in which it crashes can sometimes require that you re-authenticate by your Master Password. If it happens frequently to you, I'd look into why Touch ID is crashing on your device. I'd also - to solve the issue of it crashing - restart your iOS device by powering it off with the slider, then turning it back on. This can often resolve issues that are causing processes like Touch ID to crash.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@graemeblake: Ah, thank you for clarifying! That makes sense. I thought you were still having this issue. It seems like an eternity ago now, but late last year there were some issues with this on iOS 11. Some updates from both us and Apple helped with that, so I'm glad to hear it's working as expected for you now too. Sorry for any confusion that caused. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.