How do I use SAML in conjunction with 1Password?

Options

There are some sites that use SAML but it appears that I can't use SAML from with 1Password? The site in question is a government site:

There are two stages: 1) National ID and Password 2) OTP code from the provided phone number.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hey @wkleem,

Just to clarify that we're talking about the same thing, I take when you mentioned SAML you were referring to Security Assertion Markup Language? If that's correct then 1Password doesn't have any understanding of SAML or what it is. It sounds like you were wondering if 1Password could be used as the "Identity Provider" party of the SAML interactions? Unfortunately it can't. Let me give a quick run down of what 1Password can do though.

1Password on the desktop can log you into websites using a browser if that browser has a 1Password extension. It does this by reading the HTML code of the web page and then modifying the page so that it then contains the credentials or other data that the user wished to fill into the page.

So in the case of SAML, 1Password can be used to log you into a service that uses SAML if the Identity Provider that the service redirects you to displays its log in web form within a browser that has a 1Password extension.

I hope this answered your question - let me know if anything was unclear.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the explanation.

So in the case of SAML, 1Password can be used to log you into a service that uses SAML if the Identity Provider that the service redirects you to displays its log in web form within a browser that has a 1Password extension.

In the case of Duo, there is a secret key and a link or email need for app protection. I was hoping to be able to generate OTP from within 1Password but it appears that it isn't possible in this instance.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey again @wkleem,

The one-time passwords generated by Duo require client server communication whereas the TOTP codes generated by 1Password is based on a shared secret key and the current time. The Duo approach isn't something 1Password can provide for you unfortunately.

I hope that helps. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Matthew, Thank you for your input.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem @wkleem, if you ever need anything else, please don't hesitate to write again.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.