Windows 10 Installation - 1 x Admin and 2 x Standard Account Types

I have a Windows 10 64bit Professional operating system and I am using 1Password Families. I installed 1Password on the Admin account and can use 1Password with no problems. However, when I log into the other Standard Accounts I cannot find the 1Password app. Can someone tell me how to install 1Password with 1 x Admin and 2 x Standard account types?

Thank you in advance!

1Password Version: 6.5.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 64bit
Sync Type: 1Password Families

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@whatever_x: It sounds like you just haven't installed it there then. 1Password 6 is installed per-user, not for "all users", so you'll need to install it in each user account where you'd like to use the app. While it will request admin rights during installation, this is only needed for advanced diagnostics, and you can simply say "no" to proceed and complete the installation anyway. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• mschmitz
    mschmitz
    Community Member

Are there any plans to provide a allusers installation for better deployment with sccm or do i have to repackage your app myself in order to achive a feature older versions of 1password had?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mschmitz,

I just want to chip in and ask you to check out this guide on how to create an .exe with sccm. Please let us know if it works for you. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• mschmitz
    mschmitz
    Community Member

I am aware that I can distribute an exe with SCCM. In principle, distribution in user context would also be possible. However, this is not what I want. In order to increase the maintainability, I want to install each application in the system context and therefore for all users not for each user individually. This was still possible with the previous versions, but not for some versions.

If this is not planned for future releases, I have to repackage your app or switch to another product.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mschmitz: 1Password just isn't designed with this in mind I'm afraid. It's certainly something we'll continue to consider and may be able to do down the road, but it's not to be taken lightly. Ultimately 1Password users need to be getting their updates from us, AgileBits, and receive them in a timely fashion. Whether we're talking soda or software, inserting a middle man into the equation has costs. For soda, that means higher prices. Whatever, there's a convenience factor, and I don't complain when I just want a cold drink. I hit the corner store. ;)

But in all seriousness, with software, especially involving security, that means there's a delay when it comes to the people actually using it getting updates. That can be a mild inconvenience in the form of feature lag, or a real problem when it comes to missing out on important security improvements. And with 1Password.com, everyone not being updated means we have to support older versions on the server side; and that doesn't just affect those users for whom you've assumed control of which versions they get and when they get them, but potentially everyone else as well, since we can't flip the switch to require newer protocols or any other changes we make, even sync improvements. The alternative in that scenario is that we flip the switch anyway since that benefits the vast majority of our customers, but those under your control would be locked out in that scenario. :unamused:

And that's just getting them the app. There's a lot more (especially with regard to browser integration) that is handled by the setup process which you'd then have to do yourself for each users on each machine. I'm not saying any of this is off the table period, only that supporting anything like that is something that has to be carefully considered, as once we open that door it can't easily be closed again. Something like a "business distro" is not totally impossible, but it's extra work for us and you since you'll still need to vet and run updates when we publish them in a timely fashion. And given that we haven't seen much interest in something like that, we're going to continue to prioritize things that will benefit the greatest number of 1Password users. But we'd love to hear from anyone with more information on their specific requirements at support@1password.com to get a sense of what we'd need to target if and when we tackle something like this in the future. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.