Putting my trial on an existing license....

Hi!

Recently, I restarted my office's 1Password account from scratch, after we lost the Secret Key. My boss first bought a 1Password4 Family License in 2014 ("1Password Mac + Windows Bundle") for a flat fee and has since been using subsequent versions of 1Password on that license.

I assumed that once we restarted our account, the license would carry over.

However: once we got everything back up and running, I realized that our license had been converted to a 1Password6 Standard Trial, which expires in 20 days. To be totally transparent, I also restarted the account using my boss's business email - when he purchased the original license, he used a personal email.

Is it possible to get our restarted account - which is a trial - back onto our original license that we were grandfathered into?

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @IamMattFried,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! It sounds like you and your office are using 1Password Teams, so I've moved your message to our Teams forum. I hope you don't mind!

If I understand the situation, you recently needed to stop using the old Teams account and create a new one for your office. You said your boss purchased a license for 1Password from our web store a few years ago, but if he has a 1Password Teams account now, he won't need to worry about using his license. 'Licenses' and 'Accounts' are two different ways to purchase and use 1Password. Your boss's license is still valid and hasn't been converted to anything, but he no longer needs to use that license to activate the 1Password apps - he just needs to be signed into the apps with his own Teams account credentials.

The "Standard Trial" message you're seeing is referring to the new Teams account you recently signed up for. "Standard" is the type of Teams plan you signed up for. If you're curious, those plans are explained here: https://1password.com/teams/pricing/

When you signed up for the new Teams account, that started a 30 day free trial (which is what "Trial" is referring to). It sounds like you signed up 10 days ago and have 20 days remaining on the free trial. To keep using 1Password Teams past the trial period, a credit card will need to be added to the account at any time during those first 30 days. Just follow the steps here: How to manage your 1Password subscription

I'm sorry for any confusion about that, but I hope this helps to clear things up. If you need more help of have questions about that, please let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• IamMattFried
    IamMattFried
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG:

Thanks for taking my reply! I don't mind you moving it to the Teams forum.

Your summation of our case is mostly correct, but it missed a few details and doesn't quite answer my question.
    1) Our original license was a Family license purchased under an old fee model that 1Password has since switched to a subscription model. Because of when we purchased the license, we have maintained use of 1Password with no additional costs. This was part of an agreement between our boss and 1Password when 1PW switched to the subscription model.

2) When I reset our account, I set it up as a Team account. So switching it from Family to Team was a user error on my end. I should've clarified that.

3) We - ideally - would like to maintain our restarted account with 1Password without incurring any additional cost. Is that possible? When I reached out to 1PW about restarting our account, there was no mention of being put on the current subscription model. I assumed when I sent out my original inquiry, our license and payment method was reviewed before you guys replied to us. Of course, as I said: since I restarted our 1PW account with the wrong email address that wasn't on the license, that might've been the source of our problem.

So, in summation: with the additional details above, is it possible to keep using 1Password with the flat fee we paid three years ago - which was an agreement between him and the company - or do we need to make room in our budget to fit the monthly subscription in?

If you want, I can forward you the invoice for the original as well. Thank you for any and all help!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2017

Hi @IamMattFried

Family licenses of 1Password are only valid for people who live under the same roof. If we had a conversation with your boss about different arrangements I'd like to see that conversation. Could you please forward us that email, along with the original invoice, to support+forum@agilebits.com and include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/79473/
    • Your forum username: IamMattFried

Once you've sent the email you should get an automated reply from BitBot with a Support ID. Please post that Support ID here so we can 'connect the dots.'

We'll be happy to help you figure out the best path forward.

Thanks.

Ben

• IamMattFried
    IamMattFried
    Community Member

Hi @Ben:

Will do. Thank you!

My boss has designated me his proxy for 1Password matters, but I will loop him in. Please expect an email in the next half-hour.

Thank you again for your team's help.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2017

Great, thanks @IamMattFried. Also just to clarify I'm not questioning your claim -- I just want to make sure if we have an existing agreement that we do our best to honor that.

Thanks!

Ben

ref: BPQ-87586-537

• IamMattFried
    IamMattFried
    Community Member

Absolutely. No worries!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.