Mac App Store version [now a free download with in-app purchase like 1Password for iOS]

edited June 2017 in Purchasing

I've used this product for over 5 years now and having rebuilt my laptop am on the verge of being done with the shady practices to get people to spend money.

The recent move to In App purchasing is the last straw. I'm happy to pay for software through the App Store. I am happy to acknowledge that when major update happen a new release comes out and I have to pay again.

What I am fed up with are the myriad of different ways AgileBits have changed the pricing, creating pro features on the iOS versions, adding unwanted subscription services and at every time making it more opaque.

I have just reinstalled 1Password on rebuilding my laptop. The new gimmick is now that the app is free in the App Store. And it is free because In App purchases are not part of family sharing, so to actually use it you now have to go through an In App purchase of AUD99.

I like your app, I despise your shady pricing games. Not cool and this is the last time I re-download this app

1Password Version: 6.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.12
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@WonderPassword: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! We haven't changed the pricing for existing customers, but we have changed pricing a number of times over the years, depending on the version. You can continue using the version you purchased for as long as you have a device to run it.

For example, anyone who purchased the app itself originally (rather than doing an in-app purchase) can install it on any devices using the same Apple ID used for the purchase originally. This can also be shared using Apple's Family Sharing. But this does not work with newer purchases which were done with an in-app purchase. I purchased 1Password from the App Store years ago myself, and this works the same for me now as it did then.

You probably think I'm talking about 1Password for Mac, but I'm actually referring to 1Password for iOS, which went through a similar transition years ago when Apple introduced in-app purchases. Since this allows people to try the app first without paying anything, and that's worked well on iOS for years, we've made the Mac version to be consistent in this regard as well.

Again, I'm sorry if our changing this a few months ago threw you for a loop, but if you're having trouble installing the app from your purchase history let me know. I can't fix an issue with the App Store or your Apple ID, but I can offer a few tips that might help. And I'll also be happy to generate an AgileBits Store license for you instead if you send your receipt to [email protected] — just post the Support ID you receive here and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Cheers! :)

• edited June 2017

I noted with disappointment that you have censored my original title with an anodyne and bland misrepresentation of my frustration and anger with agileBits.

As a marketer I would advise you that this is poor practice on AgileBits part. Shady is as shady does.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited June 2017

It seems you've already made up your mind in this regard, seemingly completely ignoring Brenty's response. If you decide you'd like to have an actual conversation please feel free to write back. But keep in mind these are family friendly forums and will be moderated as such.

Have a great day!

Ben

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited June 2017

@WonderPassword: Indeed, you'll notice that I didn't "censor" the actual content of your post. You're entitled to your feelings and your opinion, but I don't see how giving your post a "shady" title helps anyone. I renamed it so it would be more informative and less clickbaity. This is a support forum. We're here if you need support. Take care.

This discussion has been closed.