Mac OS spaces / 1password foreground app issue

Options
ju2009
ju2009
Community Member

When I switch spaces, the 1password app moves to the background (or at least underneath any other app that's in the foreground).

I often refer to encrypted notes on one space, while working in my vmware fusion windows VM on another space. This behavior makes that difficult because I have to switch spaces, then click on 1password to bring it to the foreground.

I've tested with other applications (mail, safari, preview) and whatever app is left in the foreground is still there when I return to the space, so I'm assuming this is 1password behavior?

I'd love a fix or workaround for this issue.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: 10.12.5
Sync Type: wifi
Referrer: forum-search:Mac OS spaces

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ju2009,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! I'm not quite sure why that's happening on your Mac, as I haven't been able to reproduce the same thing on mine. So I don't know if something is configured differently on your Mac, or if I'm not following the same steps that you are in order to cause that to happen.

Can you please let us know a few more details that might help us figure out what's going on:

• When you mention "encrypted notes", are you referring to notes in the 1Password app, or a different app?
    • Does this happen exclusively when switching between 1Password and the VMware Fusion window in another space? Or does it also happen when switching between 1Password and any other app in another space?
    • Are both spaces on the same display, or does this issue involve a second monitor?
    • Is the VMware Fusion window in full screen mode?
    • If you right-click on the 1Password icon in the Dock and go to Options, which option is selected under "Assign To"?
    • How do you switch between spaces? (For example, bringing up Mission Control to see all windows/spaces and clicking the one you want, clicking the app icons in the Dock, using the ⌘+Tab keyboard shortcut, using a mouse or trackpad gesture, etc.)

Thanks in advance! :)

• ju2009
    ju2009
    Community Member
    Options

On further review & testing, this may not be a 1Password issue but some interaction between spaces and my external monitor configuration. I think I've fixed the issue. Your questions lead me to do some more investigating.

I think it has to do with the fact that a full screen app (vmware fusion) isn't technically a space though it behaves like one and some leftover spaces configuration stuff that I removed when testing on Friday.

Thanks for the quick followup and I'll be back if the problem returns and I can pin it down as a 1password specific issue.

When you mention "encrypted notes", are you referring to notes in the 1Password app, or a different app?

1Password Secure Notes

Does this happen exclusively when switching between 1Password and the VMware Fusion window in another space? Or does it also >happen when switching between 1Password and any other app in another space?

I thought it was only happening with 1password, when switching back from my vmware fusion full screen, but I shut down fusion, and created a 2nd space and saw the same behavior with the contacts app and a few others.

Are both spaces on the same display, or does this issue involve a second monitor?

Same display and it happened both on the macbook display or my external monitor (when it's connected)

Is the VMware Fusion window in full screen mode?

Yes

If you right-click on the 1Password icon in the Dock and go to Options, which option is selected under "Assign To"?

It was assigned to all spaces

How do you switch between spaces? (For example, bringing up Mission Control to see all windows/spaces and clicking the one you >want, clicking the app icons in the Dock, using the ⌘+Tab keyboard shortcut, using a mouse or trackpad gesture, etc.)

Ctrl + left/right arrows

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the additional details, @ju2009! Indeed, it sounds like this might not be specific to 1Password, especially if you're able to recreate it with other apps. But like you said, if you're able to reproduce a problem with only the 1Password app, please let us know the exact steps, settings, etc so we can try to reproduce it here as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.