Removing 1Password data temporarily from a device.

Options
Fairgame
Fairgame
Community Member

Question for Brent:
What exactly do you do? Do you delete the app from your devices and re-download it later? Does it work for both new subscription app and stand alone sync via Dropbox app?
Thanks

The text below is from another recent 2FA discussion. I started new thread since my question is not related to 2FA:

=======================================
"Traveling to the US is all you need to do: they can, and will, require you to provide your passwords along with your social network credentials (e.g. Facebook)).

If you are concerned with this, perhaps removing 1Password from your phone and/or laptop before you arrive at the airport is a good idea.

@jyavenard, @kevlar: This is what I do. Hasn't mattered yet, but I'd rather not take any chances. And it wasn't nearly as much of an inconvenience as I thought it would be."

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Do you delete the app from your devices and re-download it later? Does it work for both new subscription app and stand alone sync via Dropbox app?

@Fairgame: Sorry for the delay. I didn't see your post until just now. My answer has two parts: what I used to do, and what I do now.

In the distant past, I would indeed have to delete the app from some devices before traveling. But multiple vaults (and, eventually, 1Password.com accounts) meant I could compartmentalize things though; so I "only" needed to remove certain vaults from my devices in recent years, then re-add them each later. This works with both secondary local vaults sync'd via Dropbox and 1Password.com accounts. But it isn't possible to remove the Primary vault in the same way (which also means iCloud sync'd vaults).

But nowadays, with the introduction of Travel Mode last month, this is much easier for me with my 1Password.com accounts: I just flip a switch in the 1Password.com web interface on my computer before I leave home, and that removes its vaults and keys from all of my devices (except those marked as "Safe for Travel"). That saves me a bunch of steps I frankly used to dread at the end of my travel checklist.

In either case though, keep in mind that these are just options you can use to help you manage what you bring with you through customs. Ultimately that has to be at your discretion. Hope this helps! :)

• Lemimouth
    Lemimouth
    Community Member
    Options

Can you elaborate the fact that US customs "will" ask you your social networks credentials ? I'm from europe and didn't experience this the last time I went to the US (2 years ago).

Basically, can they force you to unlock 1Password ? What will they do then ? Scroll though your list of passwords and note the ones for social networks ? It seems totally insane to me !

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Can you elaborate the fact that US customs "will" ask you your social networks credentials ? I'm from europe and didn't experience this the last time I went to the US (2 years ago).

@Lemimouth: A lot can change in two years. Neither @Fairgame nor I said that though; @jyavenard did.

But it's been widely reported that people from many countries are being asked for this information as part of their application to enter the US. I don't think this is done in every case, but I'm not sure I would be comfortable taking for granted that it 1) wouldn't be asked of me or 2) that I wouldn't be rejected for noncompliance. And again, it may depend on your country's relationship with the US. Or it may not. The point is it's out of our control.

Basically, can they force you to unlock 1Password ? What will they do then ? Scroll though your list of passwords and note the ones for social networks ? It seems totally insane to me !

They can't force you to do anything. When we're talking about applying for a visa beforehand or crossing a border, you do have a choice. You could get a lawyer involved. But I doubt that will get you into the country. it's entirely at their discretion. There just isn't a publicly known official policy on any of this, so you have access to the same information we do: anecdotes from people who've been through this. Plenty of info out there.

• Lemimouth
    Lemimouth
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty thanks, yes I already heard that in the news and did some research in the meantime, but it seems more like a grey zone at the moment. I couldn't find precise or official statement about this, except, as you said, anecdotes.

Anyway I find this totally crazy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Lemimouth: Yeah... It's definitely a grey zone, so the best any of us can do is to pay attention and take any precautions we feel are appropriate for ourselves. I really hope that we all all just get along eventually so no one has to deal with any of this stuff. How's that for a pipe dream? :lol:

This discussion has been closed.