Can't wait to try this!

This discussion was created from comments split from: A Present for Linux and Chrome OS Users.

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I will keep my excitement to myself :)

Thanks!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I spent years avoiding Chrome :lol:
    Can't wait to try this!

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member

Wow, beautiful app!

I clearly need to raise my standards before publishing what I call alpha software.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Welcome! Sorry, I needed to move your comments from our announcements. We've been moving so fast, we forgot to close them earlier.

@Fooligan: Thank you!

We look forward to hearing your feedback! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@beyer no problem! Sadly I won't be able to try this until probably tomorrow.

So is the reasons for this only in the Chrome browser is because it's for Chrome OS also?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad someone else got the party started, because I prefer to crash them. :tongue:

@prime: What? What are you waiting for? :lol:

But in all seriousness, I'm really excited about this myself, and to hear everyone's feedback once they're able to give it a spin. :chuffed:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty apparently this thing called work is in the way :lol: . And I guess we're low on food and need to go grocery shopping.

• @prime: The main reason we're Chrome-only is time. In theory we should be able to roll this out to the other browsers but that will take a significant amount of time as every browser does things their own way. Thankfully most companies have started to standardize around Chrome's approach to extensions and so it won't be as hard as it was in years gone by, but there's still enough differences that it will be an incredibly large time suck.

Focusing on Chrome first allowed us to help both Linux and Chrome OS users with a single release, so it seemed like the best place to start.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about thing once you're up and running!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@dteare thanks for it info! For you guys, I'll happily download Chrome and give you guys feedback :)

7:00 can't come quick enough!!!!

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Don't make us hold you to that. ;)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@beyer I'm excited for a lot of reasons. I just started playing with Ubuntu even more, even got a System 76 computer and I love it. So this was the last thing I wanted and I knew you guys had something up your sleeve. AgileBits is a great company and happy to support you guys. I even switched to the 1Password for Families this year too, and happy I did.

• rek2
    rek2
    Community Member

system76 are the BEST computers I have two, one I got at work I liked it so much I got one for myself personal.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@rek2 thanks for that, and so far I am happy with it. Still learning and I was using a very old Toshiba for a while... wanted to shot it.

I learned Mac the same way, just switched and learned.

• rek2
    rek2
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

yeah :) makes sense I been using linux solely at my main desktop since 2004 and before dual booting since 1995. :pirate: my tip is to learn the core, not the UI's that way you will never get lost no matter what distro you use.. since at the core they are all the same.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@rek2 I might be bugging you if you don't mind :)

• rek2
    rek2
    Community Member

hehe if you need help with linux I recommend you join our hacker collective mattermost chat rooms, and leave this forum for on-topic stuff.

• rek2
    rek2
    Community Member

https://chat.binaryfreedom.info/signup_user_complete/?id=ksdnq7dmribjfnnmsjewj7di1r here is an invite. note since we are worldwide, we speak Spanish and English. Anyone else that needs help with ethical hacking and linux feel free to join. @prime

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@rek2 Thanks! I'm going to sign up when I get home tonight. Much appreciated!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime, @rek2: Very cool! :sunglasses:

Looking forward to hearing what you both think of the alpha! :chuffed:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@beyer download the evilness that is Chrome :lol:

So far it's not bad, then again my computer has 16GB of RAM unlike my work computer that has 4 :(

I would take my laptop to work, but I won't get any work done, so I'll play some more when I get home. Friday I am off and I think I deserve some "me" time and really play with this.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

@prime Sounds like a pretty good plan. 8-)

• Hey @prime, I had an idea for you that you might like: this should work fine in Chromium. I personally refuse to install Chromium because the executable isn't signed, but depending on why you consider Chrome evil, you might prefer this route. If it's a matter of battery performance than I'm afraid I can't help you there.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

@dteare it's all good. I always felt Google was a little shady on their privacy policies with stuff (I know I know I'm over reacting). No worse or better then Facebook, but I just pick one or the other. I like Facebook because I can see what my family is doing without actually talking to them :lol:

I just prefer Firefox and Safari. Since I can't get Safari on Ubuntu, I use Firefox. I want this to be the best password manager for Linux, so I downloaded Chrome :)

I'm very happy with this, and extremely excited. Just getting use to not having a stand alone app like on Mac and Windows. I wasn't sure on things (is my data there when I don't have internet?) and it was when I shut off the wifi.

• I hear you, especially on the family and Facebook part! :)

I want to love Firefox but there's been some dark years there. I think they're getting close to turning the corner though, especially with their adoption of a Chrome-style extension architecture.

As having your data without the internet, in the current and foreseeable upcoming versions, we rely on an active internet connection. I'd like to have an offline cache and hope to make that a reality before the final public release.

• nixietube
    nixietube
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

I have to admit I was a little disappointed to find out the alpha extension only works in Chrome. I have, up until this time, refused to put Chrome on my machine because of its ties to Google.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@nixietube same here, but for this I'll use Chrome.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

Hey @nixietube,

Welcome to the Forum!

Google Chrome was a good starting place for us because it allows us to natively support most (if not all) Linux distributions and Chrome OS. Chrome OS has become very prevalent especially in the educational market. Although this extension is designed for Google Chrome, it will work with many Chromium based browsers. One option (that I've tested) is Vivaldi if you prefer to distance yourself from Alphabet, Inc.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@beyer I wish that browser was on iOS also. I'm using chrome for now because I want to keep all of my bookmarks synced.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Valid point, and one I don't think about often as I'm weird and rarely use bookmarks. I had to double-check but I have a total of 18 bookmarks in my browser on this computer. I just must not use the internet right. ;)

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@beyer it's funny, my digital live is organized... and that's about it :lol:
    Vivaldi looks amazing! I might try it anyways. The only reasons why I switched to Firefox was because I can sync across everything.

This discussion has been closed.