Secure Notes truncated on Windows if they contain a null character

tzs
tzs
Community Member

I somehow got a null in the middle of some text in a secure note on my Mac. That causes no apparent problems on Mac or iOS versions of 1Password, but when viewing the note or copying it on Windows it is truncated.

Here is a data.1pif file from an export of a note that exhibits the problem (with the uuid and the uuid-like-thing at the end redacted):

{"uuid":"<redacted>","updatedAt":1498121007,"securityLevel":"SL5","contentsHash":"3d7beb47","title":"misc 3","secureContents":{"notesPlain":"before\n\nfoo: \u0000123\n\nafter"},"txTimestamp":1498121065,"createdAt":1498121007,"typeName":"securenotes.SecureNote"}
***<redacted>***

On Mac and iOS the content displays as

before

foo: 123

after

and when editing it if the cursor is put after the "1" on the "foo: 123" line, it then takes 4 hits of left-arrow to move to just before the ":", showing that there are two characters where it appears to be a single space.

On Windows, everything after the space after "foo:" is cut off.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tzs: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! Can you tell us the OS and 1Password versions you're using? That may help us narrow down what's going wrong. Thanks in advance!

• tzs
    tzs
    Community Member

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1703, OS Build 15063.413 on one of my Windows machines, and Windows 10 Home, same version and build, on my other Windows machine.

1Password for Windows version 4.6.1.620 on both.

The secure note was created on a Mac running El Capitan (10.6.11) and 1Password 6.7.1.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tzs: Thanks! I've filed issues for this. 1Password 4 uses some pretty standard text frameworks (for example, pasting the same string into Notepad yields similar results), but we'll see if there's something we can do. Really odd that you ended up using that character in the first place, but that's a good find. Cheers! :)

ref: OPW-615, OPW6-1240

This discussion has been closed.