Day One also moves to subscriptions

XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited June 2017 in Lounge

Today another respected iOS App announced to move to subscriptions; Day One introduces their Premium tier:

https://medium.com/day-one/day-one-goes-premium-424492fd0a5b
http://help.dayoneapp.com/day-one-2-0/day-one-premium-faq

I think it makes sense for their product as they are (potentially) storing and syncing a lot of data (pictures); recurring revenue will increase the chance that this can be sustainable.

I do wonder whether the grandfathering for existing users will work for them (unlike AgileBits, Bloom Built Inc decided to create a special "free" Plus tier for existing users, allowing them to sync up to 10 journals, as was part of the one-time purchase).

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@XIII I saw this also. I actually like how they did it too for the existing users.

Not sure what you mean with AgileBits. Existing users before the subscription were/are able to continue as well.

• Hi folks,

My reply over here may be of some use:

Grandfathered lifetime products — AgileBits Support Forum

Thanks.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I saw this also. I actually like how they did it too for the existing users.

@prime: You are right; 1Password license users can continue using the App as long as the OS can run it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

I bought multiple versions of Day One across multiple platforms, but ended up abandoning it as it just doesn't fit my personality. Based on my experience I can definitely see where it makes sense for them to go in this direction though. Definitely interesting.

@XIII: I'm not seeing where they're grandfathering exiting users for free though. Maybe I'm missing it, or I just misunderstood your earlier comments. It looks like they're offering some initial deals with the launch, similar to what we did with 1Password.com, except we offered them to everyone instead of just existing users. I know some folks feel like it takes something away from them if someone else gets it too, but I just don't see it that way. Cheers! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty
    https://medium.com/day-one/day-one-goes-premium-424492fd0a5b

If you have already purchased Day One (version 2.0 and later), the features you currently have will always be yours to use without any additional cost. This includes encrypted sync, ten journals, multiple photos per entry, and all ongoing maintenance updates and improvements.

• That (the bold) sounds like the same situation we have? The features available to existing license holders haven't changed.

Ben

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Ben it does. I like it because for us existing users, we get the subscription 50% off for life if we decide we want it. If we don't, we continue with what we have.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That was the way I read it too, but I did miss the "for life" part in spite of seeing the discount. Thanks! :)

• Ah, I missed that as well. Thanks for clarifying!

Ben

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

I'll look for the link on Facebook. It was funny when Day One posted the article, you can tell who actually read the article and who read only the title. I'll do this when I get home... I'm "working" now :lol:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks Prime! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Here's the link to Day One's FAQ:
    help.dayoneapp.com/day-one-2-0/day-one-premium-faq

"Are you giving a discount for current users of Day One (2.0)?

Yes. Current users get 50% off ($24.99/year)."

I'm not seeing the "For life" part.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Either way, not a bad deal. Cheers! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

I found another one that says it before, but now there are over 300 comments (almost 400). I found these.

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.