Request for OpVault on Android [supported in 1Password 7]

uther
uther
Community Member
edited February 2019 in Android

I use local files on my desktop and Android and would like to see OpVault supported on Android. I do not use WLAN Sync and do not want to place my files in Dropbox.

I have purchased the Desktop version and Android version of 1Password. As AgileKeychain is no longer the default, I believe this request should be high on the feature request list.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @uther. I appreciate your getting in touch with us!

Right now our development resources are concentrated on our own service, and we don't have any immediate plans to add or expand support for other sync methods. We may revisit this in the future, though.

Let us know if you need anything else!

• uther
    uther
    Community Member

No disrespect intended, but I'm frustrated. I wish I had known how AgileBits would treat those who choose to hold their password files locally instead of rely on a cloud service (and no, I don't use WLAN Sync either). I would not have spent my hard earned money on AgileBits 1Password (which is not cheap) on multiple platforms if I'd known AgileBits wouldn't support a more secure format of their own files.

I've waited patiently for OpVault support on Android for local files. At one time it was "coming soon". While I understand the pivot (cloud is where it's at), telling those who invested in 1Password specifically for the best local file support to maintain control of our data "we're too busy developing for cloud" just doesn't sit well with me.

In closing, how do I request a refund of all my purchases?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@uther: I'm sorry for the frustration and confusion. We don't sell products based on hypothetical future features, only their current featureset. To be clear, you can continue to use the version of 1Password you purchased and all of its features indefinitely; you don't need to change your setup just because we've introduced something new — unless of course you want to. If you purchased from us within the past 30 days, we can absolutely refund you. If you're outside of that period, we can't offer a refund. But either way if you shoot us an email at [email protected] with your purchase details we'll see what we can do to help. Just post the Support ID you receive here so we can get back to you quickly.

• mkarnebeek
    mkarnebeek
    Community Member

I would opt for this feature as well. I'm happy to pay a monthly fee, but would like to have control over where my vaults reside. Currently the software (on all platforms) heavly pushes towards storing this data on you service.

I'm currently evaluating 1password. I managed to create a local vault on my computer, sync that to a folder (opvault format), which is synced across to my android device using Synology Cloud Drive, which 1password on android refuses to recognise.

The frustrating part is that, using Dropbox (which uses opvault also), does work. Please explain that.

• Hey @mkarnebeek. We added OPVault support last year which works with Dropbox and WLAN server sync. However we weren't able to add local OPVault support at the time. We have since introduced accounts, which you mentioned, and are prioritizing this, so we haven't added local OPVault support since.

That said, our hosted service is exceedingly secure. It's stood up against a $100K bug bounty in Bugcrowd, as well as other 3rd party audits. Also, our security model is well documented. Are there any particular concerns you have?

• mkarnebeek
    mkarnebeek
    Community Member

Just that, if you are using what everyone else is using, you are less secure, because that's where everyone will be looking for passwords, since that's the highest concentration of passwords.

By using just an alteration (running stuff on alternative ports, having competition in password management tools, etc. In this case, syncing using a supported path, but not the path the majority uses), you are just staying out of the impact zone when it does go wrong somehow.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Just that, if you are using what everyone else is using, you are less secure, because that's where everyone will be looking for passwords, since that's the highest concentration of passwords.

@mkarnebeek: Not really at all. Even if you happen to choose the same Master Password for your 1Password.com account as someone else, you will have a unique (128-bit, randomly-generated) Secret Key. Both are used to encrypt the data, and neither are ever transmitted to us — even when you sign into the website; so even an attacker who is able to steal everything we have will not have the means to decrypt your data.

By using just an alteration (running stuff on alternative ports, having competition in password management tools, etc. In this case, syncing using a supported path, but not the path the majority uses), you are just staying out of the impact zone when it does go wrong somehow.

That sounds a lot like "security through obscurity" (which may be the best option in other cases, but with information we have better options). We've built 1Password with on the principle that it should withstand attack even if someone captures the database, rather than hoping that no one ever case — whether that be from us or from one of your devices. Cheers! :)

• xannasavin
    xannasavin
    Community Member

Hey, I'm also waiting for OPVault support for Android. I want to have my files on my personal NAS system rather then on another cloud. That was always my main reason for 1PW (and also the nice integretaion and everything). I understand that a monthly plan is the better business for you, but still you should also be aware of your customers who have chosen you because of the options of independence.
    I would love to use 1PW6 instead of the 4 version since it features a lot of nice features, but since 6 can't edit and only display AgileKeychain, but Android can't use OPVault it's a pitty.
    Is there any plan to finally make OPVault available for Android?

• peri
    edited February 2018

Thanks for the feedback, @xannasavin. I can't say whether or not we'll be adding OPVault support for local storage syncing, but I'll pass your request on to our team.

That said, you should still be able to use 1Password 6 for Android as 1Password 4 has that functionality as well. You can sync an Agile Keychain vault using local storage on both versions. For the time being, you're welcome to use Dropbox or a WLAN server to sync your OPVault vault if you like. There's also 1Password memberships, which you mentioned. If you have any questions about it, we're more than happy to answer. :)

• xannasavin
    xannasavin
    Community Member

Hi! Thanks for your answer!
    Sure, I'm synching the Agile Keychain via Synology between all my devices. Works with Android and 1PW4.
    However, 1PW6 can't edit the Agile Keychain which makes it useless. But OPVault can't be used on Android, so it's also no option.
    Synching through a different service then the NAS that is standing in my living room is not an option.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@xannasavin: I don't know why you're doing that. 1Password for Windows version 6 does not support local vaults, and if you're not using a 1Password.com account, you don't need it anyway. 1Password 7 will support OPVault when it's complete. However, syncing to a network drive is neither recommended nor supported, as data loss may occur if that device is not available when 1Password tries to access it. Be sure to backup your data regularly (and redundantly) if you choose to do that anyway.

• fraenK
    fraenK
    Community Member

+1 for local OPVault support on Android!

Same work flow here: Switched from Dropbox to using Synology cloud drive/sync to sync a local keychain between laptop, NAS and mobile. Purchased 1Password 4 for windows as well as Pro for Android. With version 7 I would finally like to upgrade but the Android beta doesn't support local OPVault as the Windows beta does.

Are there already plans to fill this gap?

• Thanks @fraenK. We don't have set plans at the moment, but it's something we'll reconsider in the future. I'll pass your request on to the team!

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member

+1 Android needs local support for OPvault. I have just tried to use the 1Password 7 beta, which upgraded my keychain to OPvault and now I can't use it on Android anymore.

For clarity, I use my 1Password vault on 3 PC's and 2 phones all using a local vault that is synced to my home NAS. This has worked perfectly from day one and is the whole point of "local". The fact that the desktop app doesn't work with the mobile app is inconceivable.

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member

@brenty I can't speak for @xannasavin but from what they say, and what I do, 1Password is not using a network copy. It is using a local copy that is sync'd to the NAS. Claiming this isn't recommended or supported is a little like the Microsoft Word team saying they don't support emailed documents because they could get corrupted by the email.... naturally I don't expect you to debug our sync process, but accessing a local folder "just works" (TM) and I don't understand why you have multiple products that all support local folder, but don't support the same type of local folder.

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member

Essentially, it's zero difference to using Dropbox, but it's sync'd to a local NAS rather than a cloud one.

• Thanks @wraith. I'll pass your request on to our team.

• dplatonoff
    dplatonoff
    Community Member

Here's one more vote for local opvault support on Android. Otherwise the premise on which the 1P 7 beta is built is not fulfilled.

You have this fantastic modern new Windows application. But it forces you into the opvault format (not that it's a bad thing), which breaks Android sync for all the customers who prefer NAS or FolderSync. So the promise of using local vaults across platforms AND feeling like it's 2018 on Windows is sadly ruined :(.

Please please enable local opvault sync on Android.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty I can't speak for @xannasavin but from what they say, and what I do, 1Password is not using a network copy. It is using a local copy that is sync'd to the NAS. Claiming this isn't recommended or supported is a little like the Microsoft Word team saying they don't support emailed documents because they could get corrupted by the email.... naturally I don't expect you to debug our sync process, but accessing a local folder "just works" (TM) and I don't understand why you have multiple products that all support local folder, but don't support the same type of local folder.

@wraith: I don't know why you're arguing with me in absentia when I clearly wasn't talking about what you are. To be clear, we cannot reuse code for local vault support here, so it's something we need to add specifically to 1Password for Android.

And, this is what I said regarding network shares, and is just as true, and as good of advice, today as ever:

syncing to a network drive is neither recommended nor supported, as data loss may occur if that device is not available when 1Password tries to access it. Be sure to backup your data regularly (and redundantly) if you choose to do that anyway.

Some people actually try to do things like that. If you're not using a network share, then this doesn't apply to you. But it's still a good idea to backup the data in case there's any issue in whatever process you're using to sync the data from the local folder on your Android (or other) device to the NAS.

And, as I also mentioned already,

1Password 7 will support OPVault when it's complete.

I hope that clears up any confusion. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dplatonoff: This isn't a discussion about 1Password for Windows, but, as mentioned above,

1Password 7 will support OPVault when it's complete.

Referring, of course, to 1Password for Android, since this forum category is devoted to that. Cheers! :)

• dplatonoff
    dplatonoff
    Community Member

@brenty:

syncing to a network drive is neither recommended nor supported, as data loss may occur if that device is not available when 1Password tries to access it

This is debatable (and also offtopic in the Android forum), but consider leaving the sync to the operating system to worry about. While I agree that pointing 1P directly at a network share is a bad idea, enabling offline support for that same share magically makes everything better, since the actual network sync happens when it's deemed reliable and safe. Same applies to OneDrive and GoogleDrive shares.

1Password 7 will support OPVault when it's complete

And do I read you correctly than 1P 7 for Android is expected have local opvault support? That's great news.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dplatonoff: Yep.

Unfortunately for most people trying to roll their own sync setup for 1Password, it isn't being handled by the OS or any other software or services we support. So it's not off topic at all, as it comes up a lot. And most users aren't going to make the distinctions you are, so it bears mentioning.

• dplatonoff
    dplatonoff
    Community Member

Thanks!

I know, we're the sad paranoid minority who won't trust anyone with their sacred passwords (even you guys, sorry, but we still like you). I'm sure you can relate, this day and age. Some of us might even be almost qualified to get it right...

• dplatonoff
    dplatonoff
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

@wraith: I don't know why you're arguing with me in absentia when I clearly wasn't talking about what you are. To be clear, we cannot reuse code for local vault support here, so it's something we need to add specifically to 1Password for Android.

@brenty who's arguing? I was pointing out that in my opinion you'd misinterpreted what @xannasavin was saying about how they used 1Password and their NAS (and clarified that whether I was right or not about that interpretation, that's definitely how I use my NAS)

1Password 7 will support OPVault when it's complete

Great, I had no idea there was a 1Password 7 for Android. I've just tried beta 4 and discovered that it doesn't support OPvault yet, is there an ETA for this? (clearly I can't test 1Password 7 for Windows until OPvault is also supported on Android so I'm stuck with "all or nothing" at the moment.

• xannasavin
    xannasavin
    Community Member

yes I'm with @dplatonoff and @wraith - I'm using folder sync on all devices and let the Cloud Service of my NAS take care about syncing. So there is no data loss when the NAS is no available, since devices sync to their local folders first (and my 3 devices never have changes at the same time so they'd run into conflicts with each other). I had some problems with this setup in the beginning but your lovely support helped with them and since over 2 years the system is running smooth and perfect. So local folder sync is a charm and I'm keeping all files in my own ecosystem, being the only one to blame if they get exposed.
    As also the others said: as long as Android does not support OPVault, the newer 1Password applications do not work for my setup, but since 1PW 7 will add the support to all plattforms, I will be happy to pay for another 3 licenses to upgrad this! (I hope there is a chance to test if this works first ;) )

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I know, we're the sad paranoid minority who won't trust anyone with their sacred passwords (even you guys, sorry, but we still like you). I'm sure you can relate, this day and age. Some of us might even be almost qualified to get it right...

@dplatonoff: I just wanted to say I really enjoyed your comments here. Made me smile. Cheers! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty who's arguing?

@wraith: You are. :lol:

I was pointing out that in my opinion you'd misinterpreted what @xannasavin was saying about how they used 1Password and their NAS (and clarified that whether I was right or not about that interpretation, that's definitely how I use my NAS)

Okay. :)

Great, I had no idea there was a 1Password 7 for Android. I've just tried beta 4 and discovered that it doesn't support OPvault yet, is there an ETA for this? (clearly I can't test 1Password 7 for Windows until OPvault is also supported on Android so I'm stuck with "all or nothing" at the moment.

We don't discuss time frames for unreleased stuff, but I'm sure we'll have more to share in the future. Glad to hear you're on the beta! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

yes I'm with @dplatonoff and @wraith - I'm using folder sync on all devices and let the Cloud Service of my NAS take care about syncing. So there is no data loss when the NAS is no available, since devices sync to their local folders first (and my 3 devices never have changes at the same time so they'd run into conflicts with each other). I had some problems with this setup in the beginning but your lovely support helped with them and since over 2 years the system is running smooth and perfect. So local folder sync is a charm and I'm keeping all files in my own ecosystem, being the only one to blame if they get exposed.

@xannasavin: Really glad to hear it! :chuffed:

As also the others said: as long as Android does not support OPVault, the newer 1Password applications do not work for my setup, but since 1PW 7 will add the support to all plattforms, I will be happy to pay for another 3 licenses to upgrad this! (I hope there is a chance to test if this works first ;) )

Haha thanks for letting us know, and your willingness to support the work we do. Definitely check out the beta, as that's where new stuff will show up first. Cheers! :)

• titan0g
    titan0g
    Community Member

I wish I would've known about the lack of support of opvault in android before updating to the Windows 7 beta (it's been reported since 2016!). Without WLAN sync Now I have to forcefully use Dropbox or pay for 1password.com membership. Both options won't work for me and a lot of people I know with the same setup.

I guess I'll have to manually update all my new data to an old vault and return to v.4

This discussion has been closed.