Persistent "Database Exists But Is Invalid" alert on my Mac

dlobron
dlobron
Community Member

Hello AgileBits,

For the past few months, I've been getting a persistent error message from 1Password: "The 1Password Database could not be backed up. Database exists but is invalid. One or more keys files may be missing." I tried following the steps in the following article:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/61664/i-get-this-the-1password-database-could-not-be-backed-up-database-exists-but-is-invalid-one-or-mo

This works for me, but I find that the error comes back every time I restart my Mac. It goes away when I run that procedure, but then comes back as soon as I restart. Can you tell me how to fix the problem permanently?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.6.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

Hello @dlobron, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the helpful explanation of trouble you're having. Like qchivers in the other discussion you referred to, it sounds like you've got some leftovers from 1Password 3 on your Mac triggering the error message. If you're no longer using that version, here's what to do to get rid of the last few bits and ensure they won't interfere with 1Password 6. Doing it like this will not touch any of your 1Password data:

1. Open Finder and select Go to Folder… under the Go menu.

2. Enter this text (if you copy & paste, make sure to include the ~ tilde) and press the Return (Enter) key:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

3. In the Finder window that opens, delete this file:

ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist

4. Select Go > Go to Folder… again and enter:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password

5. In the Finder window, delete this folder:

Agent

6. Empty Trash, then restart your Mac.

Hopefully you won't see the error after that restart in the last step or ever again at all. If does still happen be sure to let us know and we'll help you figure out what to do so it permanently stops. :)

Cheers!

• dlobron
    dlobron
    Community Member

Wow, thank you for the fast reply! That seems to have fixed it! I will let you guys know if it recurs!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of sjk, you're very welcome! I'm glad to hear that helped. The problem shouldn't happen again, but if it does, or if you have other questions about 1Password, please be sure to let us know. Have a great day! :)

This discussion has been closed.