Will there be an alternative way of bringing local vaults into Teams?

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited June 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I still like to keep local vaults around, without going into detail here as I have been advised to keep discussions in one place. :) I also feel that the 1Password Extension for v6 is a jumbled mess compared to v4.

Perhaps a direct method?

1Password Version: v6.6.439
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 SP1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited June 2017

Hi @wkleem,

Thanks for writing in.

At the moment, we're not working on implementing support for local vaults in 1Password 6. Our main focus is to continue to build up 1Password 6 and 1Password.com support. 1Password 4 is the only version you can use with local vaults.

To answer your topic question, the Import feature can be used to migrate the data from local vaults to 1Password.com accounts.

We are working on improving 1Password mini in each 1Password 6 update but we'd love to know what we can do to improve it for you.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@MikeT,

I am hoping that 1PIF can be supported eventually. And having been a long time Mac (Moto 680x0, PPC) and Windows user, I like the menus and 1Password Extension contextual menus on Mac and for 1Password 4 a lot better than how 1Password 6 is appearing to be.

1Password 4 for Windows was more Mac-like appearance wise than 1Password 6 has been. The Password generation part of 1Password 4 is still better than 1Password 6. Tags worked better on the Mac than on Windows.

No Folder support but that won't appear in 1Password 6/1Password.com

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Yknow, I've always heard exactly the opposite: that the 1Password 4 Windows app was very different than the Mac version...but since you mentioned your history goes back to Classic Mac OS days, I can definitely see where you're coming from. That just sounds like a matter of preference though. ;)

While it won't be with your specific use case in mind (it sounds like you want to move back and forth between 1Password 4 and 6 freely), we will be adding 1PIF export to 1Password 6 in a future update.

Can you elaborate on what exactly you think is "better" about 1Password 4's tag support and password generation over 1Password 6? These are areas we'll continue to improve, and we're open to suggestions. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

Yknow, I've always heard exactly the opposite: that the 1Password 4 Windows app was very different than the Mac version...but since you mentioned your history goes back to Classic Mac OS days, I can definitely see where you're coming from. That just sounds like a matter of preference though. ;)

I suppose it's a matter of getting used to Tiles but I am still on Windows 7. I was actually thinking about the old Menu system (Up to Win 7, with Start), not the Metro-like UI of Windows 8/10.

In case you haven't noticed, Windows 8 was derided. Macs are different but are more "Classic" Style in my opinion.

The downside with 1Password 4 being not HiDPI compatible is that on a Hi Res 5K monitor, it will be practically unusable. I will worry about it when I get to the problem. I am on a 1920 x 1080 FHD display resolution.

Some features are still more preferable in 1Password v4 than in v6:
    The Password Generator from 1Password 4 goes to 45 out of a max. 64 characters before the earlier characters are blocked. With 1Password 6, it only goes to about 26 characters with no way to change width. I like how on iOS, the characters wrap around the width of the app.

In 1Password 4, the way the Logins appears in 1Password Extension are more sensible in my opinion.

It's more the Blocky UI in 1Password 6 for Windows And 1Password Extension that I dislike as opposed to the "Classic" Menu Bar. I find the old style Menu from the Extension worked better in selecting what's necessary - directly. From 1Password 6, if I wanted Password Generator, I would have to click on the Password Generator tab from which ever last tab I was in. Vaults/Login/Etc.

Tags can be improved on (following the Mac 1Password example). I haven't used tags for some time, deciding to use Folders which is now abandoned in v6.

Just for fun, you can see some Mac progression here:
    Most of the classic Mac OS stuff I've been through from 1.0 to 9.2.2 :)

toastytech.com/guis/indexapple.html

As Prime mentioned in another thread, thanks for putting up with us.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: To be fair, we've had about 15 years to get used to macOS (née OS X) after moving from Classic; and Windows 10, though better-received in spite of its similarities to Windows 8, has only been around for about two years now. Give it time. I think it'll grow on you. ;)

The Password Generator from 1Password 4 goes to 45 out of a max. 64 characters before the earlier characters are blocked. With 1Password 6, it only goes to about 26 characters with no way to change width. I like how on iOS, the characters wrap around the width of the app.

Interesting. Oddly, I don't think this has come up with 1Password for Mac. Off the top of my head, I guess it could be useful to see the full password in cases where you want to verify it does or does not contain certain characters due to website password restrictions...but you can always select the password (or use the arrow keys to move the cursor in it) to see the rest. Or did you have something else in mind entirely?

So while I don't think this is a pressing issue, I think this does highlight some other things we can improve in the new password generator. 1Password Mac version tops out at exactly 26 characters, as it uses a fixed-width font and colouring for digits and symbols. These are definitely things we should bring to Windows. Thanks for bringing this up!

In 1Password 4, the way the Logins appears in 1Password Extension are more sensible in my opinion. It's more the Blocky UI in 1Password 6 for Windows And 1Password Extension that I dislike as opposed to the "Classic" Menu Bar. I find the old style Menu from the Extension worked better in selecting what's necessary - directly. From 1Password 6, if I wanted Password Generator, I would have to click on the Password Generator tab from which ever last tab I was in. Vaults/Login/Etc.

Superficial preferences aside, you've definitely touched on a tricky subject here. The 1Password 4 Helper menu is really a bit of a hack, as Windows doesn't offer UI elements to do a menu like this the way macOS does. And, as a result, it has much worse performance than 1Password for Mac or the new Windows app on the same hardware. So we've taken a different approach with the new version. This design isn't final, so we'll continue to work to find ways to make it easier to use, but we're not going to be trying to reproduce macOS menuing again.

Tags can be improved on (following the Mac 1Password example). I haven't used tags for some time, deciding to use Folders which is now abandoned in v6.

Totally! it's something we're working on.

Just for fun, you can see some Mac progression here:
    Most of the classic Mac OS stuff I've been through from 1.0 to 9.2.2 :)
    toastytech.com/guis/indexapple.html

Awesome link! That was a real stroll down memory lane. :lol:

As Prime mentioned in another thread, thanks for putting up with us.

Always a pleasure. :chuffed:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Hi Brent

There was a feature, exclusive to 1Password 4, the App Login (iTunes, Skype etc) feature which now has been deprecated. Hopefully it will return at some point?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Good one! I can't make any promises now as it isn't something we're able to do at this time, but we absolutely want Auto-Type in the new Windows app in the future ourselves. Less important than browser integration, which is our current focus, but it's an incredibly useful feature.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Hi Brent

The idea with regard to 1Password Generator is to add manually e.g. hyphens to the password from the regular passwords without using Diceware or Pronounceable passwords. A lot of sites dislike these all alphabets or special characters!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah, it's hard to please everyone. But we have some ideas that we'd like to implement to make password generation a bit more flexible without making it too complex. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

:+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

;)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

There is a fundamental difference between Mac and Windows standalone versions which is that with 1Password 4 for Windows, If I have 2 separate vaults with distinct master passwords. Switching between the two means entering two different passwords.

In Mac and iOS and Teams, I enter the primary password for one and it unlocks all.

There are times having entered one password predominantly, I forgot the other master password!

• Hi @wkleem,

That's why we built 1Password 6 for Windows with a new codebase, in order to be consistent with the All Vaults feature in macOS version of 1Password 6. 1Password 4 for Windows was an upgrade to 1Password 1.x, which was built when 1Password 2-3 for Mac was available back in 2010. At that time, 1Password was handling each 1Password vault as its own file, it reads and writes to them directly. 1Password 4 for macOS was a rebuilt codebase to use an internal database to store all vaults you add to 1Password. That meant switching from writing/reading vault files to updating the database directly, which store all of the vaults you have. On Windows, 1Password 6 is the first to follow the database structure.

It's also why 1Password.com works better with multiple vaults, it is a database rather than individual vaults.

This discussion has been closed.