App-specific Master Password?

ultrasteve
ultrasteve
Community Member

I think I already know the answer to this question, but I'll ask it anyway!

When I moved from a standalone purchase to a 1password.com account I created a very strong (long) Master Password. I'm also moving to a new Mac. My old Mac is still linked to the old standalone Primary account, with the old password. I set up from scratch on the new Mac, using my 1Password.com account. Is there any way to change the password just for the Mac application, so that I can have something shorter and easier to enter to open the application, rather than using the main Master Password on the account?

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: 10.12.5
Sync Type: N/A

Comments

• @ultrasteve,

You could set the new mac up like the old one was. To do that just check the "allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password.com accounts" on the advanced tab in the preferences window and then make sure you have your saving vault set to be your 1Password.com personal vault.

Rudy

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ultrasteve,

I hope Rudy's suggestion was helpful! I just wanted to clarify that when you enable local vaults in 1Password on your new Mac, that will create a local Primary vault which has the same master password as your account. However, you can change the master password for just the Primary vault by going to 1Password > Preferences > Security > Change Master Password. The new master password you choose will be the one that unlocks the 1Password app on that Mac, but the master password for your 1Password.com account will remain the same as it is now.

Keep in mind that the Primary vault won't be part of your account so you won't want to save items in it. That's why Rudy mentioned making sure your 'Vault for Saving' (which is a setting in 1Password > Preferences > All Vaults) is set to your Personal account vault.

Please let us know if you have any questions about that. Cheers! :)

• ultrasteve
    ultrasteve
    Community Member

Thanks @rudy and @Drew_AG - that worked perfectly! Is there any way I can periodically sync the data in my Personal account to my Primary account as a means of backup?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, @ultrasteve!

Is there any way I can periodically sync the data in my Personal account to my Primary account as a means of backup?

Vaults aren't designed to be backups of each other, and they cannot sync with each other. However, you wouldn't need to do that because all the data in your account is automatically backed up on our servers. So, even if your Mac (or other local backup equipment) is lost, stolen, or damaged, you'll still be able to restore your 1Password data on another device (just sign into your account from the 1Password app). Your 1Password data is also stored locally on your Mac, so if you're backing up your Mac, that means you're also backing up your 1Password data.

If you need anything else, just let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.