Can I still use vault sharing if I have a 1Password license rather than a subscription?

lucasd
lucasd
Community Member
edited June 2017 in Mac

I have a license for 1Password for Mac. I used to be able to use vault sharing. But now the instructions for vault sharing seem to imply that one needs a subscription account Is it possible for me to use vault sharing with just a regular license? If so, where do I find the instructions?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:shared vault

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

Hi @lucasd,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help!

Without a 1Password Families (or 1Password Teams) subscription account, 1Password has never had its own vault sharing feature. However, if you're using a license and syncing vaults with Dropbox, it sounds like you were previously using the folder sharing feature of Dropbox to share vaults. That's still possible, and you can find the steps to set that up here: How to share a vault using Dropbox

Keep in mind that sharing a vault with another Dropbox account is handled entirely by Dropbox. The above article really just explains how to use the folder sharing feature of Dropbox (which you can also find on the Dropbox support site). The steps in that article which are specific to 1Password are the same steps you would take to sync any 1Password vault with Dropbox, regardless of whether or not you plan to share it with someone else. As far as 1Password knows, it's just syncing a vault with Dropbox like usual, and has no idea that the folder containing the sync file is being shared.

The reason I mention that is because if something goes wrong with the vault sharing, there's not much we can do because that part is handled 100% by Dropbox. For easier and more seamless vault sharing, you may want to try a 1Password Families account (there's a 30 day free trial when you sign up). There are also many other benefits to a 1Password.com account which you can read about here: What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have questions about any of that. Have a great weekend! :)

• lucasd
    lucasd
    Community Member

Thanks very much for the enlightening answer as well as the helpful link. Indeed, sharing via Dropbox must be what I was remembering (from back before 1Password Families existed). I will review the information and decide what makes sense. (It looks like Dropbox sharing will meet my needs, but I'll keep in mind the 1Password Families option.)

Have a great weekend too

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.