iCloud session expired [check "keep me signed in" when you log into iCloud to get more than 8 hours]

Options

Comments

• bluesky
    bluesky
    Community Member
    Options

A year and a half later, I'm having this same issue. I don't even use icloud with 1P. I sync with wifi.

• rudy
    Options

@bluesky,

are you sure you don't errantly also have iCloud sync turned on?

Rudy

• nedstark
    nedstark
    Community Member
    Options

This problem started for me a few days ago. It's annoying beyond words.

I've read the forum and tried unchecking sync, not deleting the data, and then adding it again with no joy. I've also checked "keep me signed in" on the iCloud page.

I'm running 6.8 build 680015 on Sierra 10.12.6.

• Hi @nedstark ,

It sounds like it's not honouring the "Keep me signed in" part, which is unusual. I'll look into that, but that might be on Apple's side of the fence. How often does it ask now that you've checked "Keep me signed in?"

Thanks,
    Kevin

• nedstark
    nedstark
    Community Member
    Options

It seems to happen again after about 4hrs, but I didn't take an accurate time.

• MwVm8JK
    MwVm8JK
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I have disabled and set up the iCloud sync again following the steps described in Agilebits' KB, yet I just got the same message saying that my session has expired.

I know I have had this issue before and it got resolved somehow, but this time it's taking longer.

Here is an example of a previous instance in which Agilebits acknowledged the issue and promised to contact Apple to get it resolved:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/65266/prompted-to-sign-in-to-apple-id-for-icloud-in-the-browser-url-idmsa-apple-com#latest

• Ben
    Options

Hi @MwVm8JK

Certainly if there is anything we can do on our end to improve the situation we'll investigate that route. Thanks for the feedback.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

I've merged two threads that were both on this same subject, so apologies for any confusion caused by that.

Thank you for the information @nedstark. We'll continue to investigate and see if there is anything we can do to improve this on our end.

Ben

• rogerlier24
    rogerlier24
    Community Member
    Options

I started getting the message, that my iCould session had expired on my Mac, and was taken to a Safari page asking me to sign in with my Apple ID. When I signed in I just got a spinning circle (not a colored ball). It never stops spinning. When I stopped syncing in 1P preferences and the started it again. It appeared to work because it said it last synced 1 second ago. But it asked me if I wanted to use 1P mini and I clicked OK, it took me to that same page asking for my Apple ID, and when I entered it, I again got the same spinning circle which never stopped. I just did a test and my iPhone is syncing with my Mac, even though the circle is still spinning on the Apple ID page.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback on this issue, @rogerlier24. I've merged your post into a more recent discussion on this topic. We're investigating the issue.

Ben

• foresme
    foresme
    Community Member
    Options

Seems like this happens every time I upgrade 1Password, (happening again now for the umpteenth time). Should I just expect this going forward with every release? Or, in other words, stop using iCloud and/or find a different password manager?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@foresme: As mentioned previously, this doesn't have anything to do with 1Password. So, similarly, it isn't related to 1Password updating either. Authentication is handled by iCloud, which is owned and operated exclusively by Apple. There are only three options:

1. Don't sign in to iCloud (and therefore don't use it to sync your 1Password data)
    2. Sign in to iCloud without checking the box to "remember" you (your session will expire after 8 hours and require authentication again)
    3. Sign into iCloud with the "remember" option checked, which will give you a much longer session expiration

I think that #3 is preferable, but you can always authenticate again, or use a different sync method. We don't have control over this, but you do have a choice. I hope this helps!

• rossstokes
    rossstokes
    Community Member
    Options

ditto on the message on macbook and iMac using chrome and safari - I've turned off the sync.
    As I'm using the families plan I don't need the iCloud syncing, right?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rossstokes: Correct, if you're only using a 1Password.com account for your data, you won't need to sync it with iCloud. If you have a Primary vault still though, you may want to consider removing it after you've migrated all of your data to the account, just to avoid confusion in the future. Cheers! :)

• ylouis
    ylouis
    Community Member
    Options

I have exactly the same concern described many times in this thread !

For me, since + 3 weeks, this happens every day from both platforms, a iMac and a Mac Book Pro. I'm running Sierra on both Mac and I didn't make any software upgrade recently.

1Password is aiming to save time retrieving the long list of passwords, which has been absolutely amazingly helpful up to now. However, this very annoying issue to have to sign in with the Apple ID every morning to be able to to continue to sync 1Password. I work constantly with 2 Macs (plus an iPhone, but I don't face any similar concern with iOS).

I was wondering if Agile couldn't get in touch directly with Apple engineers to find a efficient workaround, instead of each 1Password's user to try to find a solution. Can't you ping Apple directly ?

Back to a previous question listed in this thread, forgive me if I missed a previous answer. Agile suggested several times to set the synch for the primary vault to "none" to prevent the token to expire with iCloud. But as a result of that action, could you clarify what is the impact when you have several Mac and you add/change entries in 1Password ?

Thank you,

yves

• techtherapy
    techtherapy
    Community Member
    Options

I've been seeing the "iCloud Session Expired" box 5 or 6 times a day for the last few months, regardless of whether I tick the "remember" option. Running 6.8.1 on 10.12.6.

As others have suggested, please can AgileBits work with Apple to help resolve this? If you're offering iCloud as an option, do you not have some responsibility to resolve issues when it is not working, regardless of where the fault lies? Or, failing that, perhaps you could allow perpetual licence holders to use the 1Password sync. At the moment, some of your paying customers don't have a usable product.

As an aside, iCloud sync seems to work just fine from iOS devices, so what's different about the Mac version?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi folks,

We have indeed talked to Apple about this. Apple changed the timeout on accounts from 30 days down to 8 hours. Please note this only applies if you do not check the "keep me signed in" option when signing in to iCloud. If you check that box you should see this much less frequently.

If you are checking that box when you're signing in, and are still seeing this prompt, please keep track of how often it is happening (as accurately as reasonable) and let us know.

If you're offering iCloud as an option, do you not have some responsibility to resolve issues when it is not working, regardless of where the fault lies?

We don't have any control over how iCloud works. It is Apple's service, and it is up to them to decide how their service will operate, and then to make sure it operates in that fashion. We don't get to dictate to them how it should work. Just as I can't walk into your house and decide how things are going to work, I can't walk into Apple's and decide that either.

At the moment, some of your paying customers don't have a usable product.

You're welcome to try a different sync option if iCloud is not working for you:

Sync your 1Password data

Or, failing that, perhaps you could allow perpetual license holders to use the 1Password sync.

You are of course welcome to sign up for a membership and use our 1st party option. If you'd like help transitioning to that please send our sales team copies of any receipts for any 1Password purchases you've made in the past: sales@1password.com and they'll be able to help you. While we cannot offer this service without a recurring cost (as there is recurring cost to us to offer it), we'd be happy to help ease the transition if you've made 1Password purchases in the past.

As an aside, iCloud sync seems to work just fine from iOS devices, so what's different about the Mac version?

Apple offers different APIs on Mac than they do on iOS. The interface to iCloud is different, depending on which platform you're using.

Thanks.

Ben

• ylouis
    ylouis
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben - I will appreciate if you can provide a clarification - AgileBits suggested several times to set the synch for the primary vault to "none" to prevent the token to expire with iCloud. I'm very confused about this recommendation ! Could you clarify what is the impact of such setting when we have multiple Mac's and we add/change entries into 1Password from one of them, how other Mac are synch'ed afterward? thank you, yves

• Ben
    Options

@ylouis,

It seems you're missing the rest of the instructions. They are to temporarily set the sync type to none (to disable sync) and then to set it back to iCloud (to re-enable sync). While the sync type is set to none no syncing will happen. When iCloud is re-selected syncing should resume (ideally without this difficulty).

Ben

• ylouis
    ylouis
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben
    Got it.
    So unfortunately, there is no workaround. We have to re-authenticate every 8 hours ( for security reason I don't want to check the "keep me signed in" ) or use Dropbox :(

yves

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2017
    Options

@ylouis,

for security reason I don't want to check the "keep me signed in"

What security reasons are those?

Also - yes, you either need to check that box, authenticate every 8 hours, or choose a different sync option.

Ben

• ylouis
    ylouis
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben That's a global security rule, whatever application runs in my web browser, I never keep it signed in. Am becoming paranoiac with million of probes per day scaning for open back-doors, even-though I know iCloud is very secure, and that's the reason I prefer iCloud rather Dropbox. 1Password contains all my life :)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2017
    Options

I'd suggest that this could be an exception to that rule. Unlike most "remember me" options this isn't storing a cookie in your browser, but is instead telling the iCloud service that it is okay to issue your computer a longer session token (which is exactly what you want to do, and what the previous default behavior was).

Ben

• ylouis
    ylouis
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben got it, thank you!

• Ben
    Options

You're most welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us. :)

Ben

• VA_Yooper
    VA_Yooper
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    So everyday I use 1Password on any of my 3 computers, I get the iCloud session is expired.

I click "Remember me" every friggin time. But every day on every computer I have to sign into iCloud.

Any suggestions?

• Jason_Hinsch
    Jason_Hinsch
    Community Member
    Options

I keep getting an error message when launching the webpage extension. It says my iCloud Account has Expired. At the prompt a new page is launched requesting i relay into iCloud. This has been going on for the last several weeks, at first sporatically, now every time I launch the app. Why is this happening and how can I correct it?

1Password Version: 6.8 (680015)
    Extension Version: 4.6.9
    OS Version: OSX 10.12.6
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: forum-search:Every time I launch the webpage widget I get a message saying my iCloud Account has expired. Why

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I am SOOO happy I got my mom on my family subscription. I can hear the phone calls now "it logged me out again, what do I do?" Every few days :lol:

• amcd
    amcd
    Community Member
    Options

Every time I start my Mac the browser ( Firefox 55.0.3 (64-bit)) needs iCloud re-authentication.?

There are no problems for the rest of the session, but only on restart.

1Password Version: 6.8.1
    Extension Version: 4.6.10.90
    OS Version: macOS 10.1.2.6
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: forum-search:Everytime I start my Mac the browser needs icloud reauthentication

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@VA_Yooper: Definitely make sure that box is checked when submitting the login form. If you have saved your iCloud/Apple ID login in 1Password with the box unchecked, 1Password will try to clear that when filling too. Otherwise, if Apple is not giving you more than an 8 hour token when you authenticate even when choosing "keep me signed in", you'll need to contact them for assistance. AgileBits doesn't have any control over iCloud; it's owned and operated exclusively by Apple. Otherwise you can use another sync method.

This discussion has been closed.