iCloud session expired [check "keep me signed in" when you log into iCloud to get more than 8 hours]

13»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jason_Hinsch: You can check the box to "keep me signed in" to get an iCloud authentication token valid for longer than 8 hours.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

@prime: Me too. 1Password.com is much easier, since there's no sync configuration. Glad iCloud and Dropbox are still available though for those of us who use them. :)

• rudy
    edited September 2017

@amcd,

Apple recently changed the behavior of that login prompt. You need to check "Keep me signed in" to get it to save your access token for 30 days, if you don't check that box it will expire every 8 hours.

Rudy

• c0rky
    c0rky
    Community Member

This problem has plagued me for weeks. Every day on two macs I am badgered by iCloud sync issues. Enough. Decided to abandon iCloud sync and test via NAS folder. While it will limit sync then hopefully it will at least be functional.

• Hi @c0rky,

We do not support syncing 1Password to a NAS directly. You can set up Folder Sync, and then use a 3rd party tool to sync the data to the NAS, but 1Password expects the sync file to always be available. Since network disruptions can interrupt that you may end up in a bad state if you use Folder Sync directly to a NAS.

That said if you'd like to further troubleshoot the issue you were having with iCloud we'd be happy to help.

Thanks.

Ben

• riddl
    riddl
    Community Member

This iCloud issue is absolutely frustrating. If i could sync my iOS Device with a Cloud Service like Own/Nextcloud oder any other (not Dropbox) this would not be a problem, but because there is no way to do this i need to use iCloud. Is there any hope for a selfhosted Sync solution besides Wifi Sync?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @riddl

If i could sync my iOS Device with a Cloud Service like Own/Nextcloud oder any other (not Dropbox) this would not be a problem

In fact, you can! A 1Password membership not only gets you AgileBits own, stable and hassle-free sync solution, but a ton of other advantages as well. Best of all, it's got a 30-day free trial, and uses the 1Password apps for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android that you're already familiar with!

• mrstucci
    mrstucci
    Community Member

Hi-I am using a Mac running High Sierra but the issue started before I upgraded to High Sierra. I am using 1Password 6.8.2..

The issue I am having is that I keep getting a pop up window that says that my iCloud session has expired and that I need to sign into iCloud again. I click on Ok (I can't do anything until I click on OK) and I am sign in to my iCloud account and the next message is do I want to allow 1Password mini.com to run? I click Yes and it says Congratulations, now 1Password is syncing with iCloud. Then it says Signing in and a little circle goes around and around forever. I don't let it go for too long because it doesn't seem to be really doing anything.

I only use Apple devices (MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad) and I don't have a subscription, no Secret Key. In 1Password Preferences there is no account listed and under the Sync button it says iCloud and it was last synced 13 minutes ago (apparently after I signed into my iCloud account).

If I access 1Password on my iPhone6 there is no account listed under Settings--->1Password Accounts. iCloud is selected as my primary sync. I am running 11.0.1 on my iPhone.

What can I do to prevent that message popping up? I have a 1Password License. Thank you for any help, Judy

1Password Version: 6.8.2
    Extension Version: 4.6.11
    OS Version: 10.13
    Sync Type: iCloud

• _Mac
    _Mac
    Community Member

Hi
    Everyday I get this, very annoying! I have to sign in to the iCloud again because the "session has timed out" and the I need to allow 1Pswd Mini to run on my Mac. I guess it has to do with the syncing via iCloud?

Anyone else having this problem / know how to solve it (permanetly)?
    Thank's

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.2 (682003) AgileBits Store
    Extension Version: 4.6.11 (Safari)
    OS Version: Mac OSvX 10.12.6 (16G29)

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

So I got iCloud session timed out this morning immediately after using Safari extension to log into American Express.

I then got an Apple page to enter my Apple ID password, which went to a page with a spinner and an Apple logo in to upper left.

It's still spinning in the next tab over so I'm not sure if it's done it's thing or not, whatever it was.

1Password Version: 682003
    Extension Version: 4.6.11b1
    OS Version: 10.13

• @mrstucci, @TomWolsky, @_Mac,

When prompted to re-authorize the connection are you checking the checkbox on the web page that tells it to remember you?

If you don't tick that box the iCloud session will expire after 8 hours.
    if you do tick that box the iCloud session will expire after 30 days.

Rudy

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Thanks Rudy. It must be the 30 days. I don't remember seeing that before, but I probably did. Does this clock reset if you change your OS or update it?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@TomWolsky - Apple recently changed their authentication timeout for iCloud. It's not something you - or we - did. But checking the "Keep me signed in" box should fix the every-8-hours problem. Cheers!

• _Mac
    _Mac
    Community Member

@rudy, @TomWolsky
    Thanks for the info. In my case it seems to be 8h. Will check the box next time :)

• mrstucci
    mrstucci
    Community Member

Oh, ok. So if I use the standalone app (which I am using) I have to re-sign into iCloud every 30 days (8 hours) to authorize the sync to iCloud? Is that correct? BUT if I had a PAID membership then this wouldn't be an issue, correct? I looked at the benefits for a membership and because I only use Apple devices/Macs and I am only one person in my family using 1Password, I didn't see the benefit in paying for a membership. Maybe someone can tell me why I need to pay for a membership other than the fact that I have to sign into my iCloud every 30 days (8 hours). Doing that every 30 days (or 8 hours) seems to be a gentle nudge/annoyance that pushes one to think that a membership is the way to go... Perhaps? I look forward to reading some comments on why I 'need' a membership. Thank you!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@mstucci - I agree it's an annoyance, no question -- but since we didn't make this change in Apple's authentication timeout, I don't think it's quite accurate to suggest we planned this as a "nudge" to get people to move to a 1Password membership.

Having said that, it is indeed issues like this one which make a 1Password membership much easier and more reliable for most users -- and this is far from the only issue in that category. In fact, every single syncing/sharing issue you see on this forum is from someone using a manual form of sync. There are numerous potential trouble spots with local vaults and manual sync that simply don't exist with a 1Password account. If you'd like the full list of reasons a 1Password account is a better, easier solution for 99%+ of users, we’ve put one together for you.

That's not to say we're abandoning either local vaults or standalone licenses. In fact, we've committed to both in a blog post about the upcoming 1Password 7 because we understand some people who are experts in manual sync and local management of data and backups prefer this option. But for the vast majority of users who want a mission-critical piece of software like their password manager to "just work" as reliably as possible without having to manage and configure and update it themselves, a 1Password account is by far the better choice.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@_Mac - sounds good! Let us know if you have any problems (you shouldn't). Cheers! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

@mrstucci you can always use Dropbox to sync and you won’t have to keep signing into iCloud every 30 days.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@prime - true enough! I didn't mention that because I figured @mstucci already knew it, and she was asking specifically about 1Password memberships, but you're completely correct. If @mstucci is comfortable setting up Dropbox syncing, that's definitely an option as well!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks Rudy. It must be the 30 days. I don't remember seeing that before, but I probably did. Does this clock reset if you change your OS or update it?

@TomWolsky: From my own experience, I believe it does, since this happened to me on different Macs after updating to High Sierra over the weekend. That would make sense though, sort of how I have to sign into accounts again after updating or setting up a new iPhone.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Thank you brenty.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sure thing! Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. :)

• mrstucci
    mrstucci
    Community Member

I will have to check into Dropbox! I have an account so it should be easy. Thanks for the reminder for that option.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mstucci -- you're quite welcome! Good luck with it. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mrstucci: We also have a great guide for setting up 1Password to sync using Dropbox:

How to sync 1Password with Dropbox

1Password data doesn't take up much space at all, so unless you have a LOT of attachments you probably won't have to worry about storage either. Cheers! :)

• jaaaaaaassshhhhh
    jaaaaaaassshhhhh
    Community Member

Hi, This is happening to me multiple times a day. I check the "keep me logged in" button every time.

Has anyone found a resolution to this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Closing this discussion, as all updates will be posted in the announcement here:

iCloud Session Expired: New issue with repeated sign-in prompts when syncing with iCloud

This discussion has been closed.