A Present for Chrome OS and Linux Users [see Dave's first post for details]

18910111214»

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@taschetto - yep! We'll be in touch as quickly as possible. :)

• btaroli
    btaroli
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

Well, it's taken me long enough. I ran across this in September and just submitted the request form. I think the other thing that gave me a little pause was switching from standalone (which I've had for years) to a subscription account. I like the idea of more regularly supporting the effort with $. I'm not sure how keen I am on having data in a captive cloud; though arguments about Dropbox, etc aren't lost on me. My concern was assuaged somewhat by reading that data can be retrieved from cloud accounts even if a subscription is stopped. So, theoretically, I could transition back to standalone should the worst come. :smile: I have also kept a copy of my opvault as a time capsule just in case.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing what's possible! I haven't tried the web access to the vault, which would be a nice (re)addition -- after the JScript "anywhere" code was lost from the vaults many moons ago. So, over and above web access, what extra features will the extension add?

Finally, I'm not normally a Chrome user.. though I do use it. My main driver for browsers is Firefox. I know that Firefox is converging on the same extension approach that Chrome uses already. And I think that today's new shiny 57 release moves that transition further along. Is there any hope that this extension would also be usable in FF 57, or later?

I'll of course take a gander through the earlier posts in this thread, as I get some extra time. But these are the thoughts and questions I have at this moment.

Update: I've now officially jettisoned 1Password v4 from Wine on my Linux workstation. I'll muddle with my.1password.com for now, when I need it... until something newer and shinier comes along. :wink:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@btaroli: Good call on keeping your original vault. We're hoping you'll like 1Password.com (which stores everything encrypted, and only you ever have the "keys") but it's also important to us that you're not trapped. So, as you mentioned, even if the account is frozen you can still access your data to export it. The only caveat is that 1Password.com uses Documents instead of attachments, so those are not a simple copy/move operation to put them back into a local vault. Otherwise it's just a matter of a few clicks.

Regarding additional features of 1Password.com, the web interface is one, but Travel Mode and item history are really awesome. And while many of us may take this for granted now, there's something to be said for not having to deal with license management or sync configuration anymore — just sign in and you're good to go!

We do have hopes of porting this new extension to Firefox as well, but right now we're focused on Chrome as we can easily target both ChromeOS and Linux that way. It's coming along well though. :)

• rklingsten
    rklingsten
    Community Member

I got an invite on the 10th, but if I follow the link given, I get a "You don't have permission to do that" message...

• Sorry for the trouble, @rklingsten.

I need to twiddle a few bits to resolve this – you'll have access by the end of the day.

• blue73
    blue73
    Community Member

"Once we hear from you we'll grant you access to a private beta discussion group on these forums along with setup instructions."
    I had signed in everywhere, but where can I find this private beta discussion group?

• keeto
    keeto
    Community Member

Did the discussion group removed? I had access a while ago but I can't seem to find it now..

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @blue73 and @keeto,

Here are the two related discussion groups:

The first one is new. Also see this blog post:

1Password X: A look at the future of 1Password in the browser

Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Closing this discussion now that 1Password X is public. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.