A Present for Chrome OS and Linux Users [see Dave's first post for details]

Comments

• fizznab
    fizznab
    Community Member

Is google discontinuing chrome apps relevant here? https://blog.chromium.org/2016/08/from-chrome-apps-to-web.html

It seems like chrome apps will no longer be supported for most linux distributions with the exception of ChromeOS.

• joserodrigocoronel
    joserodrigocoronel
    Community Member

i Just tried to join the beta... i am a chromebook user and use 1password every day..... how long until i can try the beta?

• klieber
    klieber
    Community Member

Very excited about the beta and joined 1Password for Families just to be able to try it. Assuming it works well, you'll get a new subscription customer out of it. Previously, there wasn't any incentive for me to switch over from a standalone customer, but this makes it worth it.

Thank you for investing in Linux support!

• tru
    tru
    Community Member

I am refreshing my email constantly to see if the invite has arrived :)

• DFilipeS
    DFilipeS
    Community Member

This might be a game changer for me. On my work laptop I have Linux, it is the only thing holding me back from moving all my passwords to 1Password. If this new extension works well, it is a sell for me.

I've filled the form to get into the private beta. I would be really excited to try it out!

• GabrielZiegler
    GabrielZiegler
    Community Member

Hi, guys - I have a DropBox vault at the moment, and I realise the Linux beta is subscription only. What is the easiest way for me to participate?

• sangeth
    sangeth
    Community Member

Super excited by the news and can't wait for the beta invite!

• JimSangwine
    JimSangwine
    Community Member

Finally, some love for us Linux users, thank you :chuffed:

1Password was one of the few applications keeping me from ditching Apple for a long long time (years!) but a few months back I couldn't take it anymore and switched to LastPass so I could finally escape the big shiny walled garden. I've missed the 1Password polish though, and my account is still paid up so I really hope this extension proves to be good enough to let us Linux users come back.

Thanks again, and let me at that beta! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@forquare: As Dave mentioned in his origin post, this is a beta Chrome extension which we're targeting for ChromeOS and Linux, not a native app. So, long story short, while the Linux Compatibility Layer won't be relevant or helpful here, you may be able to use it in your browser on other platforms. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fizznab: Someone suggested a Chrome App earlier (either here or a different thread, I forget), but this is "just" an extension we're working on so it won't be affected. And I doubt Google will be killing extensions any time soon, especially with Mozilla moving to WebExtensions. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sangeth, @tru, @joserodrigocoronel: We'll get back to you as soon as we can. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@klieber: Thank you for the kind words and encouragement! Really excited to hear not only what you think of the beta, but also 1Password.com as well! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

This might be a game changer for me. On my work laptop I have Linux, it is the only thing holding me back from moving all my passwords to 1Password. If this new extension works well, it is a sell for me. I've filled the form to get into the private beta. I would be really excited to try it out!

@DFilipeS: Likewise, thank you for sharing your enthusiasm! Your excitement is infectious! Can't wait for your feedback! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hi, guys - I have a DropBox vault at the moment, and I realise the Linux beta is subscription only. What is the easiest way for me to participate?

@GabrielZiegler: Just sign up for a 1Password.com trial and enjoy! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Finally, some love for us Linux users, thank you :chuffed:

@JimSangwine: I'm not a full-time Linux user myself, but I know there are others here who have been waiting a long time for this too. ;)

I've missed the 1Password polish though, and my account is still paid up so I really hope this extension proves to be good enough to let us Linux users come back. Thanks again, and let me at that beta! :chuffed:

Keep in mind that it's still a beta, but we're really happy with how it's coming along already...and with feedback from you and others it's going to be even better by the time it's ready for everyone. We'll be in touch! :sunglasses:

• DFilipeS
    DFilipeS
    Community Member

@brenty: Any ETA of when beta invites are starting to roll out?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DFilipeS: As always, we reply to everyone on a first-come-first-served basis, so it's just a matter of getting back to others who contacted us before you. Don't worry, this isn't a "limited time offer". Thanks for your patience!

• Wacko42
    Wacko42
    Community Member

So excited to hear this news and have sent in my beta application. Have been using the standalone version since version 2 or 3 and switched to Lastpass a little while ago when I got a Chromebook. So happy to be able to switch back to 1password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Wacko42: Thanks for your support and encouragement! Glad to have you as part of the beta shortly. :)

• joserodrigocoronel
    joserodrigocoronel
    Community Member

@brenty perfect, i will be waiting anxiously :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• Zero2Cool
    Zero2Cool
    Community Member

i hope that i can test it, waiting so long for this

• DFilipeS
    DFilipeS
    Community Member

@brenty: Cool, looking forward for it!

• fizznab
    fizznab
    Community Member

Ah, thanks, I didn't know that chrome apps and extensions were distinguished concepts.

• sangeth
    sangeth
    Community Member

@brenty This makes me so happy. Congratulations on the hard work!

• DevFJD
    DevFJD
    Community Member

This makes me more happy than it should ;) . Can´t wait to use it!

• huppie
    huppie
    Community Member

I currently have the 1Password page linked as an app in my Chrome 'Shelf'. Would love to finally have native integration in Chrome Os :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, thanks, I didn't know that chrome apps and extensions were distinguished concepts.

@fizznab: Neither did I until recently. :lol: :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@huppie, @DevFJD, @sangeth, @Zero2Cool, @DFilipeS: I can't take the credit. @dteare, @beyer, and the design team are working hard and making great progress! If you haven't already received a reply, you will shortly. Can't wait til this is ready to be used by everyone. :chuffed:

• thiago_101
    thiago_101
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

Hi, I signed up for the beta a few days ago. When am I expected to receive an invite? :)

Regards,
    Thiago

This discussion has been closed.