Apply single Mac license to Android device

nhatch3
nhatch3
Community Member

I bought a "Single License" of "1Password 6 for Mac" directly from the AgileBits store on February 20, 2016. The licenses support page (https://agilebits.com/home/licenses) indicates that licenses are per person, not per device, so I should be able to apply this license to an Android device. I still have the email with the link to "Click here to Apply Your 1Password License", but (unsurprisingly) clicking it while on the Android device doesn't work. What is the preferred method for transferring a license from a Mac device to an Android device?

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.5, Android 6.0
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:apply license to android

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nhatch3: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! We haven't sold (and can't sell) Android "licenses" through the AgileBits Store. While licenses are not per-device, they are per platform. For example, you can use a 1Password for Mac license on as many Macs as you have, but 1Password for Mac will not run on Android and vice versa. It also isn't possible to "transfer" licenses between platforms, not least because Google Play simply won't honour purchases made elsewhere, and doesn't use licenses at all — the purchase is tied to your Google Account.

But if you'd just like to be able to use 1Password across all of your devices seamlessly, a 1Password.com membership makes that possible, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password.com

You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits](https://support.1password.com/why-account/), and if you'll shoot us an email at support@1password.com from your account's registered address with a copy of your receipt(s), post the Support ID you receive here and we'll see what we can do to help you make the transition. :)

• mrdawoudw
    mrdawoudw
    Community Member

So I have a question I have the 1password app or license for Mac and I have a vault set up. Does this allow me to use 1Password on iOS and Android or no? Kind of confused here as I have just gotten an android device and would like to be able to use 1Password on it as I do on my iPhone. Let me know what needs to be done. THX

• @mrdawoudw: 1Password for iOS and Android are "freemium" apps when used with a standalone vault you've created on Mac, so you can use their basic features for free and have the option to purchase the Pro Features (Android, iOS) via in-app purchase. If you instead choose a 1Password membership as brenty mentioned, these Pro Features are included with your subscription, along with any future upgrades to the apps on all platforms so long as your membership remains active. :+1:

• mrdawoudw
    mrdawoudw
    Community Member

Sorry maybe I am a bit slow but I am still a bit confused. I have the paid-for Mac OS X 1 Password 6 software application. I am using it on my MacBook Pro and as well on my iPhone. Can I add an android device to this work system? If so, how. If not what do I need to do? Buy a 'subscription'? If I already have the stand alone OS X app on my computer wouldn't buying a subscription be doubling what I already have? This is where I am confused. Thanks

• Hi @mrdawoudw. 1Password's Pro features are a separate purchase from the desktop license you have. 1Password for Android is free to use and has full functionality during its 30 day trial. After the trial period it becomes limited to a reader. This means that you can sync, view, and copy and paste your data, but you won't be able to add, edit, or fill items from Android without the Pro features or a 1Password membership. You can read more about it here:
    https://support.1password.com/pro-features-android/

You're welcome to use the standalone version on Android, provided you sync your data. However, if you want to switch to a membership, your data will sync automatically, and the Pro features on Android will be automatically unlocked, as will other platforms and major upgrades. You can find out more about the benefits of a membership here:
    https://support.1password.com/why-account/

• bsh269
    bsh269
    Community Member

I have a very similar situation as I'm switching to android and had purchased a mac license in early 2016. I understand what is noted above and have opened a 30 day membership trial. How do I sync my licensed password on mac to the trial account?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @bsh269 :)
    Congrats on your new 1Password account! Instructions on how to migrate your data to your new account can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Cheers!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bsh269: Indeed, and just to be clear, A license or sync settings won't be involved at all with a 1Password.com membership. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! We're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.