Are local vaults going to exist for the foreseeable future?

13»

Comments

• sglewis100
    sglewis100
    Community Member

Sorry, forgot to attribute that quote. It was published in Tidbits this past week.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sglewis100: Ah. I was just confused because you'd said that right after I'd been talking about how 1Password 4 supports local vaults and Dropbox sync.

Anyway, as you noted, 1Password 6 isn't complete, so we're not even thinking about a version 7 there yet. 1Password for Mac version 7 doesn't exist either, but Dave was willing to go out on a limb there since it's already an established codebase which does support local vaults.

Our Windows development team is tremendous and has made a ton of progress in a relatively short amount of time. Go ahead and download the first public release of 1Password 6. Then try the current version. But we're only human and there aren't enough hours in a day to make nearly 4 years (which is where 1Password for Mac is today) of progress in 10 months.

Not only are we supporting Windows users, we're doing so across two completely separate codebases with completely different vault and sync types. I'm sorry if you feel like you're stuck in the middle there. We're here to support you regardless of which version you use, so be sure to let us know if you need help.

• idontno
    idontno
    Community Member

@rickfillion: you said: "We don't typically discuss roadmaps."
    Other companies do - ibm ,microsoft - It isn't a commitment - its to provide guidance to your customers. You know, what your company is currently planning re the product you sold them.
    At Target it would be called customer service

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

Go ask Apple what thier roadmap is :lol:

Not all companies do stuff the same, and those companies listed aren't telling the whole roadmap either.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

@idontno: Indeed, but they're almost exclusively enterprise at this point. If in the future our customer base stops being majority end users and large companies are the ones supporting us, we'll have to reevaluate things. At that point you're not dealing with users at all; you're selling to a department that makes long term decisions for everyone in the company based primarily on a cost/feature matrix. It's a whole different ballgame. We're really quite happy to have users like us as customers who give us feedback every day, and we value being agile so we can make customer requests a reality. We still have to say no to a lot of things, but it's a matter of priority, rather than "well this isn't part of our 5 year roadmap". ;)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

Also, AgileBits does offer what Target offers, customer service. If I want to exchange a produce at Target, I can (same as here). If I want to return a product, I can... same as here. If I need help, I can... again same as here. I can't go to a Target and ask them what the plans are for the company. They are going to tell me they are going to build a store closer to me in the next 3-5 years, tell you they are going to selling a certain brand, or even remove a certain brand (until its 100% confirmed).

• sglewis100
    sglewis100
    Community Member

Go ask Apple their road map is a poor rebuttal. For Enterprise customers, they do executive briefings. And for people who map closest to those of us hear expressing concern, the parallel is the Pro user. The ones complaining that they focus only on consumer Macs and iOS devices. Who had an entire Tim Cook speech on their commitment to Pro, the Mac Pro isn't dead, we are working on a replacement, etc.

It's not quite the same as 'well forget the v6 Windows clients, we are still patching v4, nothing to worry about.'

Look, if someone reads all this and says 'yup, they are evenly committed. Fully committed. No concerns. Local vault and Windows and Android users are completely on equal footing with the cloud service and a Mac client, that's great. I just think you're completely wrong.'

Funny thing is I don't even use local sync. I switched to the cloud awhile ago. I just feel like this company is solely Mac focused and I have a mix of Mac, iOS, Android and Windows devices. Windows has always lagged. Android client was TERRIBLE for very long. It's ok, be a Mac company. But for those of us who either have mixed platforms, or don't want to subscribe to passwords, and prefer using a Dropbox and just choosing whether or not to upgrade, stop the lip service.

You could completely release by without access to your cloud, but with support for Dropbox, and charge $50 to upgrade. You could do a new version like that every year for 24.99 and I'd probably keep upgrading. But your Windows version for people who don't want a subscription service STINKS and had for years. It was frustrating when Windows 8 was modern, and it's no better now in Windows 10 era. Android got a bit better, but man, LastPass autofill is world's ahead.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

Ben actually posted in this thread about it

LastPass worlds ahead? That's all opinion. When I tried it, I felt it was laggy in my opinion.

Who had an entire Tim Cook speech on their commitment to Pro, the Mac Pro isn't dead, we are working on a replacement, etc.

There were so much on this issue, and they all said this was the 1st time Apple has ever did this (admitting they messed up, and a game plan. I wouldn't call it a road made due to no exact time frame). Some of the tech podcasts I listen too even said this (The Verge, and iMore to name a few).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sglewis100: That's all fair criticism. We are very much a Mac-first company, and we can't change that, even if we're no longer Mac-centric. We just have a much longer history there, and iOS benefits from that as well since it can share code with the Mac app. You're absolutely right that both Windows and Android lag behind, and it stings a bit to both hear and acknowledge that, because we care about Windows and Android users just as much as we do those on Apples platforms. But the silver lining here is that while we're not where we want to be yet, we're making great progress. And your assessment of the Android app no longer being "terrible" means that the effort we're putting in there shows, even if we're not to the point where you'll consider it "good". We're doing the same thing with Windows and will continue to work toward cross-platform feature parity. Again, we're not where we want to be yet, but this isn't lip service. We're making progress every day, and as you pointed out it shows. We just need to keep it up, and frankly we have no plans or desire to stop.

This discussion has been closed.