MoveFile failed: code 183 (Caused by MalwareBytes)

Options
dzuber
dzuber
Community Member
edited July 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I am attempting to download the latest version of 1Password for Windows. I am getting "An error occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory: MoveFile failed; code 183. Cannot create a file when that file already exists. Click Retry to try again, Ignore to skip this file (not recommended), or Abort to cancel installation." I have clicked Retry several times but I keep getting this message. I clicked Abort but now cannot access 1Password at all.

1Password Version: Don't know. Second-latest version.
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro Build 15063
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:MoveFile failed: code 183

Comments

• dzuber
    dzuber
    Community Member
    Options

After restarting, I was able to confirm that my 1Password version is 4.6.1.620.

• MikeT
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hi @dzuber,

Thanks for writing in.

Can you tell me what anti-malware solution are you using? We've seen this issue with MalwareBytes and McAfee users.

Just to be clear, you're only using 1Password 4, not 1Password 6 (1Password.com support)?

Try to restart your computer, do not start any other programs and open the main 1Password app, go to the Help Menu > Check for New Version. See if that'll install the update for you.

• dzuber
    dzuber
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT,

Thanks for your response. I am using MalwareBytes.

I've attached a screen shot of my 1Password plug-in. I have both the desktop version and the Chrome plug-in.

I'll attempt to update using your method and will let you know how that goes.

• Dawn
  • MikeT
    Options

Hi @dzuber,

If it is not too late, can you reproduce the issue with 1Password install with MalwareBytes first to generate additional logs within MalwareBytes. MalwareBytes is asking if you could send us your diagnostics from their product, so we can forward it to them.

When you finish reproducing, compress/zip the following file: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs\MBAMSERVICE.LOG (there may be archived logs by date, compress the logs from the days of the issue) and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

Thanks!

• dzuber
    dzuber
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike - I haven't tried upgrading yet, so I'll do that this morning and see if I get the same problem. I'll let you know as soon as I've done that - I am right in the middle of something involving my passwords now so I need to wait a few minutes. Thank you so much for trying so hard to help with this!

• dzuber
    dzuber
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,
    I wasn't able to reproduce the issue. 1Password upgraded without a hitch. However, I sent the MalwareBytes log file, anyway. I hope it's helpful.
    Thanks again for your help with resolving this!
    Dawn

• MikeT
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hi @dzuber,

Thanks for the file!

Unfortunately, we didn't see anything related to 1Password in the log file. We'll pass it on to MalwareBytes to see if there's anything they can find.

Thanks again!

ref: TDP-64541-774

• dzuber
    dzuber
    Community Member
    Options

:)

• MikeT
    Options

;)

• hanssonAnders
    hanssonAnders
    Community Member
    Options

Hi!

I'm having the same problem. I've used 1password 6. I uninstalled it and now I'm trying to reinstall it. While trying to install it I'm getting the same error. I'm also using Malwarebytes (the latest update).

Thankful for any help,
    Anders

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @hanssonAnders,

Thanks for writing in. MalwareBytes is still waiting for more logs to figure out what's going on. Can you reproduce the issue with 1Password install with MalwareBytes first to generate additional logs within MalwareBytes.

When you finish reproducing, compress/zip the following file: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs\MBAMSERVICE.LOG (there may be archived logs by date, compress the logs from the days of the issue) and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

After this, disable MalwareBytes to install 1Password.

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same error with 1pw6.

Is there a solution?

Larrt

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

I chose to abort the update and now 1pw will not come up.
    Larrt

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @lwmcmahon,

No solution from MalwareBytes team yet, we're still waiting to hear back from them.

Uninstall 1Password via the Control Panel, reboot, and download but do not install the latest update from here.

You'll need to disconnect the Internet, disable MalwareBytes, install 1Password and re-enable MalwareBytes/Internet after that.

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

So I rebooted w/o a problem. What was 1pw6 trying to do? I don't see any pending upgrade.
    Larry

• Hey @lwmcmahon! Have you already reinstalled as MikeT suggested? If so, you should now have the latest version and no need to update. If you see 6.7.451 in Settings > Options > Update, you're all set.

As for what 1Password 6 was trying to do, it was trying to replace files that Malwarebytes had locked. Since you aborted the update, it should have reverted to the version you had prior and may not display an update needed right away if it hasn't automatically checked for updates yet and/or you haven't manually checked for them in settings. If you're not yet seeing the right version in Settings > Options > Update, you'll still want to give MikeT's instructions above a try to make sure you're up-to-date. :chuffed:

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, No I did not.
    Initiallly 1pw6 got this error when pc started up. I did not request an update, it must have been automatic.
    I aborted. 1pw6 would not start up when requested.
    Restarted pc.
    1pw6 came up with no complaints and I saw no updates pending.

Larry

• Hey, @lwmcmahon! 1Password does update automatically while it's locked starting in version 6.6. If you don't see the proper version under Settings > Options > Updates as I noted before, you will want to follow MikeT's instructions to get updated. While updates aren't required, they're important to make sure you're getting access to the latest features and security fixes so we always recommend keeping 1Password up-to-date. :chuffed:

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

It is at 6.7.451.

Should I turn off automatic updates until this is resolved?

Larry

• @lwmcmahon If you're at 6.7.451, you're all good and the update was able to complete so nothing to worry about. :+1:

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

But what happened? I do not want this to happen w the next update.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @lwmcmahon,

When 1Password tried to replace its files during the update, it couldn't because the files were locked by MalwareBytes, most likely to scan it. Aborting doesn't help because the files are still locked in memory and the only solid method to clear the file locks is to reboot.

We are investigating for a way to require a reboot instead of halting the update with the file errors but according to our research, this only works if the app has admin rights. We would not like to do this but it may be an option in a future update.

• saerogenta
    saerogenta
    Community Member
    Options

I'm facing the same issue and I did the whole:

"Uninstall 1Password via the Control Panel, reboot, and download but do not install the latest update from here.

You'll need to disconnect the Internet, disable MalwareBytes, install 1Password and re-enable MalwareBytes/Internet after that."

The version of the 1password I installed is 6.7.454 and not 6.7.451. Is that ok?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @saerogenta,

Yes, that is the latest 1Password version, so it is okay.

Can you send us your MalwareBytes logs, so we can send it onto MalwareBytes' team who is investigating this? Here's how:

1. Open Windows File Explorer and go to: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs\
    2. Zip up the following files: all .bk files (from bk1 to bk10) and the most recent MBAMSERVICE.LOG files from the last two days.
    3. Email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com with a link to this thread and your forum username.

Let us know when you've sent the email, so we can confirm we got the email.

• dmegason
    dmegason
    Community Member
    Options

I've had all of the same issues as above and I have tried all the things that are listed above. During the update the previous version was wipped out and now I do not have access to my passwords.

• bundtkate
    edited September 2017
    Options

@dmegason: Your data is stored separately from the 1Password app itself, so uninstalling/updating will not erase your data. You likely just need to get things set up again. Could you let us know what version of 1Password for Windows you were using (1Password 4 or 1Password 6)? This will help us guide you through getting everything set up again. :+1:

• dmegason
    dmegason
    Community Member
    Options

IPassword 4. I can't even reinstall that verson.

• @dmegason: You definitely can reinstall 1Password 4. The link is right below 1Password 6 on our downloads page, but for ease of access, here is a direct link. If you installed 1Password 6, go ahead and uninstall it via Control Panel, then reinstall 1Password 4:

1. Reboot your PC.
    2. Download but do not install the latest version of 1Password 4 from the link above.
    3. Disconnect the Internet and disable MalwareBytes.
    4. Install 1Password.
    5. Re-enable MalwareBytes/Internet after that.

If 1Password 4 doesn't prompt you to open your vault automatically, make sure to choose Used 1Password before on the Welcome screen and you can then navigate to your existing vault in the resulting file explorer window. And, of course, let us know if you have questions or need help along the way. :+1:

• dmegason
    dmegason
    Community Member
    Options

Apparently i do not have MalwareBytes on this PC. I do have McAfee and i disabled that but i'm still having the same issues...

• @dmegason: You only mentioned disabling McAfee, so I have to ask -- did you follow that full process to reinstall 1Password 4? McAfee is known to cause the same problem as Malwarebytes, so the process should be the same as noted above. Also, when you say you're having the same issue, could you be provide some more detail here? Are you still seeing the MoveFile error? Is something not working properly? This will help us advise you about next steps. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.