1Password 6 crashing out after uninstalling Chrome and Firefox

Options

Yesterday I had a malware scare, and as part of recovering, I uninstalled both Firefox and Chrome, both of which had 1Password extensions.

Either because of that or for some other malware-caused reason, 1Password 6 now crashes immediately every time I try to open it. The top bar says "1Password 6 (Not Responding)", the lower left has a red error message urging me to click it to send you a report, and a dialogue box appears that says "1Password for Windows desktop has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program."

I uninstalled 1Password 6, restarted the computer, and used various virus programs to clean my computer as best I could. Then, trying to reinstall 1Password 6, I followed an old link and mistakenly downloaded 1Password 4. I noticed that it looked really different when I signed in, and so I uninstalled that too, and deleted the keychain in the "1Password" folder.

Then I reinstalled 1Password 6 and restarted the computer, but it still crashes out every time I try to open it.

Thinking that the lack of Chrome and Firefox was causing the issue, I have since reinstalled Chrome. But when I try to reinstall Firefox, I get the same malware-esque problems that led me to get rid of it yesterday (hijacked search URL that I can't switch away from).

Could the lack of a Firefox program on my computer be the issue with 1Password? My brief but disastrous attempt at installing 1Password 4? Some lingering malware? Something else?

Thanks for your time!

1Password Version: 6.6.439
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Home
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @leukothea,

I am sorry to hear about the situation you are in! Hopefully, you got rid of all the malware on your PC.

In order to find out what is going on with 1Password on your PC, please share a crash report with us. Here is how you can create it:

Save a crash report for 1Password 6 for Windows

Attach this report to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com and we will take a closer look.

Please do not post it here in the forums, but do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox. You should also receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Suapport ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Thank you very much in advance! We will be looking forward to your email.

Cheers,
    Greg

• leukothea
    leukothea
    Community Member
    Options

My ticket number is ANE-51359-818. Thanks!

• leukothea
    leukothea
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, I should mention that I only saved down the most recent error, but there were three different errors that all occurred in the same minute, and they were all different. I'll save the other two and send them as well.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

@leukothea: Thank you for the report!

I see that Heather has already replied to your email, so let's continue our conversation there. Thank you!

ref: VII-89721-389

This discussion has been closed.