To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

What is the difference between a Login and a Password?

Options
Dlevy
Dlevy
Community Member

I am a new user. I do not understand the difference between a Login and a Password. Why do both categories exist and what is the difference?

Does the 'login' category refer to temporarily saved logins/sign in?

Why are the new passwords that I have generated for accounts not saved in the password section?

How can I make sure that my passwords (or passwords stored in the 'logins' category) will be saved indefinitely?

I tried using the search function and didn't come up with anything answering my questions easily. I frankly don't understand why there is such a arbitrary and ambiguous predisposed denotation of something that appears as though it merely should all fall under the simple category of 'passwords'.

What am I missing/not understanding?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Dlevy
    Dlevy
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, and for what it's worth, I've just downloaded the latest version (whatever that is), and I'm on OS X.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @Dlevy - Thank you for contacting us and I'll do my best to help. Logins are typically items saved for websites or accounts you want to sign into with a username and password like Amazon.com for example. Passwords are just that, if you only have a password for a specific item with no website url address. For example, I use this category to save passwords for my devices this includes the password to unlock my iPhone and Mac. You also have the ability to convert passwords to a login. Logins and passwords are never altered unless you specifically make a change or delete it. You can always recover deleted items from the trash. I hope this helped clarify things a bit more. Let us know if you have any additional questions, we'll be happy to help. :smile:

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

But also, if my memory serves, you might want to change your password for some site, and that frequently has to be done on a page different from the login page. If you use 1PW's password generator to create and fill a new password, it will be saved in the Passwords category, so you can use it to create a login.

• Frank
    Options

Such a good point @danco, I forgot about that :+1: Thank you for sharing and for keeping me on my toes :wink: Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.