1Password for Families needs a guide on how to convince people to use a password manager

Manaburner
Manaburner
Community Member

This weekend I was on a mission to convince my parents to use a password manager and give 1P a shot. The mission was short-lived because I heard arguments like "I have nothing to hide" or "it's so complicated" when I told them they should use a good password to protect their data inside the password vault.
To be honest, I couldn't say much against that, because they are not as tech-savvy as I am and they don't understand that you have to give up some comfort to get much more security.
Is there a guide that helps someone like me to convince others to use a password manager, even if it seems to be complicated in the beginning? If not, it's time you write one ;)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Manaburner: Sadly many people will only see the value in security and privacy after they've suffered a very real setback — for example, identity theft, credit card fraud, or "only" account compromise. But you're right that there's probably more we can — and should — do in terms of education. If it were me, I'd start with money, because that affects everyone's bottom line — literally:

What's the password to your bank? WAIT! DON'T TELL ME! If you can remember it and are comfortable typing it to login, then it's going to be easy for someone to guess with the aid of technology. And if you're using that same password or something similar for other websites, someone stealing it from one of those will try it on others — and banks are a prime target.

If you ask me what my bank password is, I can't tell you. No, really: I don't know it! And that's not because I'm a super genius, but because I use this great app called 1Password. It creates passwords for me that no one can guess, a different one for each site, saves them for me securely, and can fill them so I don't have to try to type them out. And I only have to remember one password, my Master Password, to be able to do all of this.

Just a brainstorm. Let me know what you think. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

I guess you're pointing me in the right direction. Maybe I need to think about something that's more of a real life example than something abstract like "if you use the same password on every website, then all are at risk".
    Something people can relate to.
    Thank you for the idea @brenty

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

@Manaburner the "I have nothing to hide" I tell them we all have something to hide from strangers. I read a great article once on that very issue, and I wish I kept it.

I shall fine it!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

@Manaburner: Yeah, it's very much a personal thing, which is what makes it hard for us to have something that says "This is why you should care about your security and use 1Password." For me, I had known for a long time that reusing passwords was terrible for my security, but I didn't have a workable alternative until 1Password came along. So now I'm not only more secure, but I also spend a lot less time typing passwords over and over again. Given the length of my reply above and many others, I can only imagine 1Password is also helping me avoid RSI. :lol:

@prime: I'd be interested to read that too, as it doesn't sound familiar to me.

And that raises a great point. Even though many of us don't feel like we have a lot to hide security-wise, I think privacy is something we al value, even if it's something we often take for granted.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hi, I don't know if this is the article @prime was talking about, but it's still a good read : https://www.wired.com/2013/06/why-i-have-nothing-to-hide-is-the-wrong-way-to-think-about-surveillance/

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Manaburner that just might be it. THANKS,

• Cool, thanks for sharing!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.