New to the iMac

Options
Peter_Pappas
Peter_Pappas
Community Member

Just got a new 2017 i7 27". What a powerhouse. My first Mac, still very green on it.

I have some observances that may have solutions, otherwise I see them as something I don't like. Most of this is in relation to my continuing PC experience (which is still running 1P).

I may have this wrong, but I see 1PWD on the dock. It is not telling me if the program is running or not. If I click on it, it opens without asking fir a password. That is okay, that tells me the program is running. My problem is this - being so new to the Mac, people are offering to be "helpful" by logging in to my machine to show me this or show me that. When they do, first thing I check out of habit is to see that 1PWD is locked down. Maybe I am wrong, but I would first - expect there to be a dot under the icon to show it is running (open) and second, I expect to see a LOCK option right there to do a quick lock. Neither thing is happening. Am I wrong?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rudy
    Options

Hi @Peter_Pappas,

In the current version of 1Password on the Mac the process responsible for lock state and your data is actually 1Password mini. If you've chosen to keep it visible in the menubar then that's the easiest way to see that its running. The main application connects to mini to request data for display.

You'll want to open the main app, click on the menu in the top left of the screen that says 1Password 6 and select the Preferences… menu item. Once the preferences window opens you'll want to navigate to the Security tab where you'll find more options for defining when 1Password automatically locks. The main window in 1Password also has a lock icon in the top right of the window that you can click. Or additionally a global keyboard shortcut that lets you lock 1Password that you can define on the General tab in the Preferences window.

Let us know if you have any additional questions, we're happy to help.

Welcome to the Mac!

Rudy

• Peter_Pappas
    Peter_Pappas
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rudy,

Thanks, I didn't see the the icon on the top of the screen.

So, to get picky :) it still doesn't imply if it is open or not (like the PC that has a lock or unlock status). And it also takes 2 clicks to lock it by having ti go into the gear rather than it being on the first menu selection bar. I can see that is the way it is written, so that is actually feedback at this point :)

But I am glad to see how it operates in a way I didn't know before. Thanks for the help!

Peter

PS Just so I explained it right, having to go more than one step to lock it is not something I like, the PC method is much better.

• rudy
    Options

@Peter_Pappas,

Thanks for the feedback, i'm not sure what the plans for the mini menu might entail in the future. We'll have to see what happens there.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.