To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Questions before (eventually) moving to subscription

Options
jeremielebot
jeremielebot
Community Member

I'm a long time user of 1Password. A long time ago I purchased both Mac and Windows licence so I could use 1Password both on my personal Macintosh machines and my workplace windows base machines.

And it was great.

Seriously. And it still is.

No I've changed jobs and I'm no longer administrator on my work computer so I can't install 1Password 4 - even though I was able to install Dropbox which feels weird. Bummer.

So. Here, are my - unanswered so far - questions :

The huge selling point for 1Password to me was that in case of a Doomsday scenario (no internet, no more AgileBits, no more Dropbox) I still was able to open my vault on my computer without the app. At least on paper (mine gives a weird error message). Is is still possible ? Can I export a backup locally and be able to open it without the app, internet and agilebits. Just the backup file, my computer and I ?

In case my company gets finicky about the whole cloud based password storage. Can I use a separate locally stored vault on my windows computer ?

I don't really want to change it. But if at least I was sure that moving on to subscription still fits the bill I might do the jump.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jeremielebot

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'd be happy to try and help here...

The huge selling point for 1Password to me was that in case of a Doomsday scenario (no internet, no more AgileBits, no more Dropbox) I still was able to open my vault on my computer without the app.

I'm not sure I follow. How were you opening your vault without 1Password? Were you using a 3rd party utility?

The 1Password data format is open, and because of that it is possible for 3rd parties to create apps/utilities that can interact with 1Password data. Because we haven't vetted these apps we cannot recommend entering your Master Password into anything other than 1Password, but if you were in such a "doomsday scenario" you could certainly use such an app (or even write you own, if you're in a position to do so):

AgileBits Blog | You have secrets; we don’t. Why our data format is public

Can I export a backup locally and be able to open it without the app, internet and agilebits. Just the backup file, my computer and I ?

If you export an unencrypted 1PIF or CSV file those are (perhaps with a little formatting help) human readable. You can open it in any text editor, or app that can parse JSON/CSV, and view the contents of your vault.

In case my company gets finicky about the whole cloud based password storage. Can I use a separate locally stored vault on my windows computer ?

If you own a license for 1Password 4 for Windows (no longer being sold): yes. You can read more about local vaults on Windows and our current position here:

AgileBits Blog | Why We Love 1Password Memberships

I don't really want to change it. But if at least I was sure that moving on to subscription still fits the bill I might do the jump.

If you don't want to change you don't have to. If what you're using now works for you then you are welcome to continue using it. We're really excited about what 1Password memberships have to offer, but we built awesome apps for 10 years before there was such a thing and many people are still enjoying that awesomeness. That said there is a lot that comes with membership that isn't available otherwise:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• jeremielebot
    jeremielebot
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Ben !

My initial point refers to 1Password Anywhere which as I just discovered is no longer supported since 2016.

I guess I have two options now:

• Keep my standalone 1Password 4 licence that works like a charm for 80% of my needs and accept not being able to use it at the office because 1Password 4 required admin privileges on a machine.
    • Move to membership and make my life easier and embrace the change.

Last question. If I understand correctly if I move to 1Password membership and if - for example - one year from now I cancel my subscription I will still be able to connect and export my data from your website. The only difference being that apps won't open/sync anymore ?

And in that case could I go back using my standalone licence ? To be clear, I have no intention to do that and I perfectly understand that non-membership based licences are considered legacy but still, would it be possible ?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2017
    Options

My initial point refers to 1Password Anywhere which as I just discovered is no longer supported since 2016.

So... you still needed 1Password? :)

I guess I have two options now:

I think you've summarized your options fairly well, yes.

Last question. If I understand correctly if I move to 1Password membership and if - for example - one year from now I cancel my subscription I will still be able to connect and export my data from your website.

Yes. Absolutely. We don't believe in data lock in. If you're ever wanting to export your data you're able to do that.

The only difference being that apps won't open/sync anymore ?

No, this is not accurate. The apps will still open, and will still have the latest data (sync). But if your account is frozen you cannot make changes to that data or add new items:

If your 1Password account is frozen - 1Password Support

And in that case could I go back using my standalone licence ? To be clear, I have no intention to do that and I perfectly understand that non-membership based licences are considered legacy but still, would it be possible ?

Your standalone license isn't invalidated just because you sign up for a membership. :) You are welcome to continue using what you purchased for as long as it works for you.

:)

Ben

• jeremielebot
    jeremielebot
    Community Member
    Options

So... you still needed 1Password? :)

Yes 8-) What seemed like a big selling point turned out to not be a big using point as I've never actually needed it.

Thanks again ! This board and the effort you guys put into answering questions from the community is exactly why I love 1Password... and turns out to be an even bigger selling point.

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. Happy to help! :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.