Alarming flip between current and previous passwords

Options
jonboyd
jonboyd
Community Member

I've just seen an alarming apparent loss of a password on one machine, which then synced (via Dropbox) to other Macs and an iOS device. (Is it coincidence that I just upgraded 1Password this morning? Might be….) I've never seen anything like this before in my years of 1Password use, but 1Password didn't have my current password for a critical web service but showed one I recognized to be an old one (10 months old or so). But then the current one was displayed down in the "Previous Passwords" section! (So that's a happy ending, actually, because I was able to recover it from there.)

Is there any known issue like this? Any way to discover whether other items in my Vaults might suffer this fate (other than manually going through and trying them all)?

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jonboyd,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

It sounds as though the date/time settings on one or more of your devices may be incorrect, if new data is being overwritten with old. Can you please verify that all of your devices are set to properly sync their clocks with the internet and that they are all set for the same timezone? Is the date & time accurate on all of them?

Please let us know how it turns out.

Ben

• jonboyd
    jonboyd
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

That's an interesting suggestion — but alas, they're all correct. (I use macOS's server-based time setting.) And numerous other passwords that I've changed recently are all okay.

I realize this is a maddeningly unique problem to try to troubleshoot! Mostly I just wanted you to hear about my problem in case either (a) you'd been hearing about anything like this already or (b) a pattern emerges as you hear from others.

• Jacob
    Options

@jonboyd Ah, thanks for clarifying. There are certainly a few things you can try to perhaps get things working smoothly in the future. I'd recommend resetting your Dropbox data as a start, to see if that affects this behavior.

This discussion has been closed.