To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How long will the stand-alone version be supported. I do not want my vault stored on your servers!

allen_holub
allen_holub
Community Member

I hate the idea of my vault being stored on your servers. That means that both the vault and the password will be in the same place, which is both easy to hack and vulnerable to internal access by you. It effectively makes my vault password much more vulnerable than it is now. Consequently, I plan to stop using One Password once this becomes mandatory. To be clear, it's not the subscription I'm objecting to, it's the single-point-of-vulnerability issue. I'd happily pay a small monthly payment if I can keep control of my own vault. My questions all surround this issue:

(1) Will I be forced into the subscription model at some point, or will my stand-alone app continue to work?
(2) How long will my existing stand-alone app be supported?
(3) I worry that upgrades that come from you will force me to give up my private vaults, so I've stopped installing them because I worry about the upgrade forcing me into a change I don't want. Is it safe for me to install patches/upgrades or will I suddenly find myself without a password manager that I trust because you have moved my data to your server without my permission?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how long will old version be supported

Comments

• Hi @allen_holub - Thank you for reaching out us. Have you read our recent blog post which addresses most of your questions?

(1) Will I be forced into the subscription model at some point, or will my stand-alone app continue to work?

You're free to continuing using your standalone license for as long as you want. There have been no changes to the way you currently use 1Password.

(2) How long will my existing stand-alone app be supported?

Your standalone license is yours to keep. We have made no changes other than providing an alternative for new customers. As long as your operating system continues to support the current version of 1Password that you're using, you can keep rocking 1Password just as you do right now.

(3) I worry that upgrades that come from you will force me to give up my private vaults, so I've stopped installing them because I worry about the upgrade forcing me into a change I don't want. Is it safe for me to install patches/upgrades or will I suddenly find myself without a password manager that I trust because you have moved my data to your server without my permission?

1Password for Mac and iOS continue to support standalone vaults. We have made no changes and in fact in the blog post we mentioned the next version 1Password will continue to provide support for standalone vaults.

I hope this helped a bit and I strongly recommend reading the blog post. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

• n86cxvR7
    n86cxvR7
    Community Member

I'm in complete agreement here, more or less. As a happy customer for years, I will gladly pay generously for a subscription but I cannot have my data stored on your servers, even if it is encrypted. It's against my organization's security policy, and for very good reasons! I hope this does not become the sole way 1Password does business, and that customers like us can remain customers.

• Hi @n86cxvR7 - It's great to hear you've been using 1Password for years :smile: We appreciate the support and I hope you continue to enjoy it in the years to come. I completely understand where you're coming from in regards to company policy and we continue to support standalone vaults if you're rocking 1Password on a Mac. As we stated in the blog post, the next version of 1Password will include standalone vault support. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us in the forum to share your thoughts on the subject :smile: I hope to chat with you again in the future.

• luv314159
    luv314159
    Community Member

I found the cloud model unnerving, but we've been using LastPass enterprise for a few years now which has always worked this way. It's been great, so I finally gave in to the cloud model (but sticking with 1Password for my own use, which I like better). The way I look at it now, I would ask (1) do you trust encryption, because if you do, you realize it's not your "data" on the servers but some unrecognizable gibberish, or if you don't trust encryption, is it really that safe on your own computer? And (2), do you trust 1Password, because if you don't trust them, you shouldn't be using them at all! Even with standalone vaults, if they went rogue, they could write code to exfiltrate your data after you unlocked the vault. So I think it's really a matter of choosing the right companies to do business with rather than eschewing the cloud altogether, which is just going to get more and more difficult in the future anyways.

• HI @luv314159 - You definitely make some great points. You're right "trust" plays a huge role in choosing a password manager. 1Password is funded by you not advertisers or investors. We have sustainable prices, so we can serve you for years to come without exploiting you or your data. It’s possible for a company to cut corners on pricing, but then they might need investors’ money, a buyer with deeper pockets, or — worst of all — advertising money at the expense of your privacy. We have gone out of our way to build 1Password so that we have no information about your data or about how you use 1Password. :+1:

• sloppydogdrool
    sloppydogdrool
    Community Member

Love the product. I bought the standalone piece about a year ago and have been using it more and more. I cam to the point I was ready to roll it out office wide and then found out it is no longer a viable product with an unknown end date. So I have put that on hold and have my staff continuing to use their excel sheets to manage passwords. I realize you are switching to this fee base service so you have on going revenue stream. That is fine but your pricing yourself out of the market. Most people and especially businesses won't pay the annual fee. It's just o much. There are other companies charging only $12 per year and that is the way I will move when your product no longer functions. Just my 2 cents. I hope you take it into consideration.

• Hi @sloppydogdrool

Thanks for the feedback. Have you had a look at our 1Password Teams service?

Certainly we feel 1Password is a premium product, and it is priced as such. If you're shopping on price alone there are other less expensive (or even free!) options out there.

We want AgileBits to continue to be a sustainable business over the long term so that we can continue to deliver the quality of software and service that folks have come to expect from that name. As such we have to charge a price that allows us to do that.

There are obviously a lot of folks out there that feel 1Password provides value commensurate with the price, otherwise we wouldn't be here to have this conversation. :) But at the end of the day it is up to each individual to decide what value 1Password offers them, and if it is worth while.

Even if you ultimately end up with a solution other than 1Password I hope you won't give up on password management. It is just too important in today's world. A spreadsheet just doesn't cut it. Secure unique passwords are a necessity. I hope you give the 1Password membership service a try and fall in love, but if you don't I hope you're able to find a password management solution that you're comfortable with and confident in. :)

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.