Can't use 1Password with Opera...

Using the solution on your trouble shooting doesn't work for me. AM I supposed to abandon Opera as my default browser? It seems like every time there is an update, 1Password stops working.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member

Procedure that I tried with the comment above..

What you should do
    If you see this message right after updating 1Password, it doesn’t mean your browser lacks support for native messaging.
    First try restarting your browser. If you still see the message after that, follow these steps:
    1. Open Terminal, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
    2. Copy and paste the following command and press Return:
mkdir -p ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome

4. Open 1Password and click the 1Password menu. Hold down the Control and Option keys on your keyboard. While holding the Control and Option keys, select “Quit 1Password and 1Password mini”.

5. Open 1Password again.

6. Now follow the additional steps for each browser you’re using.

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member

Re my posts above,

Switching to FireFox seems to work fine with 1Password. However I prefer Opera, but NOT if I'm going to have to deal with this hassle every time I want to use 1Password...

Does Opera just not want to play nice with 1Password?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Starflyer: I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your posts to the browser filling category of the forums since this doesn't seem to relate to accounts.

The steps you mentioned taking seem different than this support article. Is that what you're referring to?

It sounds like there may be a deeper issue since the latest version of Opera seems to work here. So it may be that yours is out of date, or something else is different with your setup.

Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, are you receiving an error message of some kind? 1Password is now (as of version 6.8) using Native Messaging with Chrome-based browsers, but there have been some hiccups with the alternative browser vendors not implementing this fully. That's why Firefox won't be affected at all. Let me know what you find and we'll get this sorted out!

• rickpdx
    rickpdx
    Community Member

I was having this same problem - using the latest version of Opera and the extension stopped working. The icon was there but clicking on it did nothing. However, after wasting lots of time trying to figure this out, including deleting and reinstalling the extension, I came across this post and just closed and restarted the browser. Boom, now it's working. Wish I had thought of this simple step on my own.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @rickpdx,

It's easy to kick yourself in hindsight and we've all done it. Even after all the time we spend in support we still sometimes forget to try the really easy stuff. Your post reminds us though that the great bit about the forums is we may not just be helping the person that posted, but many others who find the post and resolve their issue without ever sticking a hand up :smile:

Glad to hear Opera is working for you again.

• HarryL
    HarryL
    Community Member

Hi, I can't seem to find the 1password extension in the Opera, any idea's?
    Info:
    Version: 46.0.2597.57 - Opera is up to date
    Update stream: Stable
    System: Mac OS X 10.12.6 64-bit

• HarryL
    HarryL
    Community Member

On that note I can't seem to find 1password in Firefox (on MacOs) either! Please help...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @HarryL,

So we can better understand, are you saying the icon is not visible in the toolbar where it should be, that it isn't showing as being installed on the browser's extension manager page or that you're having trouble locating the extension to install it?

• HarryL
    HarryL
    Community Member

It was not showing up in the list of extensions Opera has to offer. I went back to the AB site a few minutes ago and was able to download it from there. It seems to work.
    Being new to 1Password and coming from LastPass, is it the idea that once you open a site with login fields does 1Password automatically fill it in if it's in the list? Just curious...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @HarryL,

No, 1Password does not automatically fill fields as soon the the page is loaded, we only fill when the user instructs 1Password to do so. If you're new to 1Password you might find our support page Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC instructional as to how the extension works. If you have any questions please do ask.

• HarryL
    HarryL
    Community Member

Thank you very much, you've been most helpful.

• HarryL
    HarryL
    Community Member

I just tried it.... wow that is so cool! CMD + \ and using 1pwd as a secure bookmarklist. Glad I made the switch :-)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:lol: Glad we could impress :smile: the ⌘\ is a very handy keyboard shortcut but next up there I find is ⌥⌘\. This activates the 1Password mini menu much like clicking the 1Password Browser Extension button in your browser's toolbar. It's handy if you want to access 1Password mini, something ⌘\ won't allow you to do if there is a single matching Login item (as 1Password jumps straight to trying to fill).

If you're a fan of keyboard shortcuts then our page 1Password keyboard shortcuts could be a handy reference.

This discussion has been closed.