Open sourcing all of 1Password [not currently planned]

Comments

• My1
    My1
    Community Member

stupid ideas running wild again...

but when financing yourselves over a cloud subscription, the software itself could also easily enough become open-source especially because no matter how open source a software is, without the subscription there would be no 1pw cloud access.

• Not a stupid idea. It is unlikely that the entirety of 1Password will be open sourced, but some components of it already are, and it is possible that other components will be made available in the future. :)

Ben

• My1
    My1
    Community Member

nice to know. one thing I already know that's pretty open (at least on the mac) is the super long wordlist, which is really nice.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the kind words! We're also pretty proud of the 1Password iOS extension, which many apps integrate and other password managers have implemented as well. :chuffed:

• My1
    My1
    Community Member

in my opinion autofilling is a feature that should be supported by the OS instead of needing apps to integrate with certain managers and thereby giving those password managers a possibly unfair advantage.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's definitely an interesting conversation, but I've split this off into a separate discussion since we're getting way off topic here. :)

1Password doesn't "autofill". This is something browsers do, and squirting sensitive information into forms without user interaction has well-documented security and privacy risks. But as far as filling on demand, just because it's useful doesn't make it "unfair; we've put a lot of work into it, and I think it's fundamentally fair if it's a competitive advantage as a result. But, as I mentioned above, on iOS, we've open sourced the 1Password extension, so even our competitors can use it. It isn't, however, possible for us to integrate 1Password into apps themselves, as iOS is sandboxed and secure as a result. I think it's useful for many users who don't use a password manager that browser and OS vendors offer some password saving/filling features themselves, but if you've ever tried to get some saved credentials out of the browser or OS you'll know that 1Password makes it much easier to manage data securely, especially across multiple platforms.

Going "cloud-only" and open sourcing to become essentially a services company is something that's definitely become more popular in recent years, with even Microsoft going this route to some extent. We don't have any plans to do that, but who knows what the future will bring. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.