Tons of New Password Entries Generated

I am going through the process of changing all of my logins to randomly generated ones. I noticed this morning that I suddenly have a ton of new entries in the "Passwords" section of my vault (not logins) that are identical to the new login passwords I am generating. These password entries contain only "Account", "Vault", "Password", "Last Modified", and "Created" fields. They are not associated with a web site address in any way that I can see. Is this known/expected behavior? I can certainly mostly ignore the behavior as the logins are updated and work fine. This is only a problem when I need to retrieve a password (from password, not logins) and have a sea of these generic entries - which again, I can deal with by just searching. Ideally I'd like to know if it is safe to delete these entries. I have experimented with deleting a few and then seeing if the logins that share the same password are ok. They logins are fine and work as expected. So basically, is it safe to delete these entries that are showing up in "Passwords" as long as the logins are updated properly and work as expected?

Thanks for any input!

-- JP

1Password Version: 6.6439d
Extension Version: 4.6.7.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1703
Sync Type: 1password.com account

Comments

• neil_jordan
    edited July 2017

Hi @jpdalamar,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

They are not associated with a web site address in any way that I can see. Is this known/expected behavior?

It is a known issue right now, we will add the ability to record the website or frontmost application when you generate a new password.

So basically, is it safe to delete these entries that are showing up in "Passwords" as long as the logins are updated properly and work as expected?

Yes, the passwords are safe to remove. This is intentional to ensure you always have a copy of every new password you generate with 1Password password generator in the rare case that 1Password extension does not prompt you to update your existing Login item.

We do have plans to implement an automatic cleanup in a future update, so that 1Password can remove the password items when it detects a Login item was saved with the same website and password combination.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have other questions or concerns.

• jpdalamar
    jpdalamar
    Community Member

Copy that! Thanks so much!

• You're welcome, @jpdalamar. Glad to help!

This discussion has been closed.