Exception on auto upgrade

zendnez
zendnez
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm on the beta train. I believe 1Password is attempting to auto update to today's beta release. I'm seeing the attached exception.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited July 2017

Hi @zendnez,

Thanks for reporting this. Yes, we have released a new beta update today and that's a first time we've seen that file was being locked by something else.

Can you tell me what anti-malware solution you're using?

If you can still reproduce it, please follow this guide to see what's locking that file (search for abstractions): http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/resource-monitor-find-process-locked-file-windows-7/

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response, @MikeT.

I didn't explicitly initiate the update - it happened automatically. I might have recently used the Chrome extension to fill a web form. In any case, after the exception occurred, i looked in the systray and 1Password was running (while the exception was being displayed). I quit 1Password from the right-click menu on the systray 1Password icon. I then clicked Ignore, and the update completed.

I think somehow the 1Password updater hadn't quit 1Password and that's why the file was locked.

I'm not running any 3rd party malware/AV software - just Defender. This is on a Surface Pro 5 / Win 10 Pro release branch.

• Hi @zendnez,

Thanks for the details, that is strange. 1Password only auto-updates when it is locked and idling, so clicking on 1Password in Chrome shouldn't allow it to proceed.

In addition, the installer does force the shutdown of all relevant 1Password processes but if you click on 1Password in Chrome (after the install is starting), it will relaunch the 1Password process. We have a system in place to prevent that, the 1Password extension is told in advance and disables itself for 20 seconds while it installs.

We'll try to reproduce it and see if we can add additional detection before the auto-update.

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member

Thanks, @MikeT. I've upgraded on four computers and this is the only one on which it happened. If it does happen again, I'll let you guys know.

• MikeT
    edited July 2017

Great, thanks and it would be great if you can quickly review the file handles in Resource Monitor to rule out that it is not a third party locking the file.

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member

Thanks. If it happens again, I'll confirm which process is actually locking the file.

• Great, thanks.

• rikkyde
    rikkyde
    Community Member

I received this same error today.

I am NOT a beta user; have been using 1PW for many years.

It seems the install completed, but, now having multiple problems;

• does not minimize to the tray (I've confirmed I do have System tray option checked)
    • somehow removed from the Windows autostart list; manually put back in.
    • Chrome extension stays greyed out. I've tried deleting and re-installing.
    • And yes, have rebooted

Running on Win 10; 1PW version 4.6.2.625, Chrome extension version 4.6.9.90

• rikkyde
    rikkyde
    Community Member

uninstalled, reinstalled, all is good now

• Hey @rikkyde! I'm glad the reinstall sorted things out for you. If we can do anything else to help, please let us know. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.