Problems syncing via Dropbox with Mac App Store version of 1Password [Answered]

Mark S.
edited September 2011 in iOS
proven-solution-20110803-121213.png

The simplest way to resolve this is to just click the "Stop Using Dropbox" button, wait for Dropbox to finish syncing, and then click the "Use Dropbox" button.

It is important to let Dropbox finishing syncing after you click "Stop Using Dropbox" and before you click "Use Dropbox" again.

If you are still having trouble, please try resetting Dropbox syncing on your iOS device:

1Password > Settings > Sync > Dropbox > Account > Reset

I have 1Password for Mac (purchased from Mac App Store) and 1Password Pro for iPhone and iPad (not currently installed on iPad).

Following the 1Password installation guide, I setup the Mac version first, waited for Dropbox to finish syncing, then setup the iPhone app. The problem occurs when the iPhone tries to sync. I get an error message telling me:

"Cannot find 1Password data file in Dropbox. Please make sure you are using the latest version of 1Password on your Mac or Windows desktop. Also make sure that Dropbox is fully synced on your desktop."

Going into the Dropbox app on the iPhone I see the 1Password folder and all the same files as I see in Dropbox on my Mac so Dropbox is syncing correctly. I've added entries to 1Password and Dropbox has synced the changes between devices just fine.

I assume I'm using the latest versions of both apps as I bought them both today, September 8, 2011.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled both apps several times. I've used the same Mastercode for both apps and I've tried changing them. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling Dropbox on both devices. Except for the Dropbox sync message above I receive no other error messages on either the Mac or the iPhone. The Mac is running Lion and the iPhone is running the most recent iOS 4 update (whatever number that is).

UPDATE: Just tried the iPad app and same problem. Can't find 1Password data file on Dropbox even though the Mac version finds it just fine and the iPad Dropbox app shows the files. Thinking it's an issue with the Mac App Store version.

Please help.

Mark
Houston, TX

Comments

• I've got exactly the same problem. 1Password from the MAc App store and on iOS. on the iPhone app it can't find the file in the dropbox to sync with even though it's there - very frustrating.
  • Mark S.
    edited September 2011
    Ok so I've figured out how to make it work. It's a work around for a problem that comes from the Mac App Store version on a new user install not putting the 1Password.agilekeychain file in the right place in Dropbox. Unfortunately with Apple's sandboxing there's no way to tell 1Password desktop to look in a different place. So.....

1. Install 1Password from Mac App Store and create a database file and setup to use Dropbox.

2. Go into Dropbox and create a folder named '1Password'. Copy, not move, the 1password.agilekeychain file into the new '1Password' folder.

3. Download the 1Password uninstaller from here: uninstaller application.

4. Run the application and check all boxes. Run the uninstall process. Empty the trash can.

Note: I completely removed 1Password and reinstalled a clean copy but you may be able to restart the 1Password.app from this point and create a new database. I don't know. If so, skip 5.

5. Delete the 1Password.app from the Applications folder. Empty trash can. If you can't empty the trash, restart, then empty.

6. Reinstall 1Password and/or restart the app. When it asks you if you're a new or existing user, choose existing and point 1Password to the 1password.agilekeychain file inside the '1Password' folder you created in Dropbox.

7. Sync iPhone and iPad.
  • I'm a new 1password customer and just bought the MAS and iOS (Pro) versions today. I am trying to sync my database through Dropbox and the MAS version has successfully saved a file in the root of my Dropbox folder. On iOS, however, after logging in with my Dropbox credentials, I'm told it can't locate the database file on Dropbox, and suggests I check to see if I have the latest version of the OS X version. Thanks for your help.
  • I'm experiencing the exact same issue.
  • I'm having this problem as well. I'm a brand new 1Password user, having just bought both the MAS desktop version and the iPhone/iPad version. I'm slightly annoyed since I just spent $35 on a pair of apps that can't talk to each other apparently!

I'm wary to use the workaround mentioned. Is there any official word from the developers that this is a recognized problem with a fix coming soon?

(Otherwise, awesome app, I'm really excited to start using it.)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2011
    Welcome to the forums, folks. I'm sorry for the trouble.

The simplest way to resolve this may be to just click the "Stop Using Dropbox" button, wait for Dropbox to finish syncing and then click the "Use Dropbox" button. Again, wait for it to finish the sync before checking on the iOS devices.

If you are still having trouble, can you confirm for me the path listed in 1Password's preferences:
    20110909-p8tgwwq39i9fxkhkjxmq5ckcuq.png
    My path as shown in the screenshot is Users > khad > Dropbox > 1Password.agilekeychain. Could you let me know what your path is?

Also, could you verify for me what the contents of the following file are? It is located in the root of your Dropbox folder:

.ws.agile.1Password.settings

The easiest way to view the file's contents (since it is normally hidden in OS X) is via the Dropbox website. Log into the Dropbox website, and then click on ".ws.agile.1Password.settings" in the top level of your Dropbox account. When I click on mine, it shows the contents to be:

1Password.agilekeychain

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks!
  • Bowie
    Bowie
    Community Member
    Got the same problem as described above. Using Lion on MAC and all apps are up to and dropbox is synced. Are there any OFFICIAL workarounds/fix for this?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Bowie. I just merged two threads together. Please see my post which is now just above yours and let me know how it turns out.
  • khad,

The problem is that the mobile version of 1P is not looking for:

Users > xxxxx > Dropbox > 1Password.agilekeychain

It is looking for:

Users > xxxxx > Dropbox > 1 Password > 1Password.agilekeychain

I know this is the case because I created a folder in Dropbox called 1Password and then copied 1Password.agilekeychain into it. My mobile version was then able to sync with no problem.

Of course, this is not a good long-term solution, because every time I make a change to my passwords, I have to copy the root file into the subfolder or vice versa to keep everything in sync.
  • I have the same problem, the path in 1Password preferences is correct, but the Dropbox file isn't correct dear Khad.
  • Bowie
    Bowie
    Community Member
    Khad
    My settings are exactly like the ones you got and the file content is the same as well.

Br,
    Bowie
  • Just bought both the Mac App Store version and iPhone version yesterday. LOVE the Mac app, it is great. However, iPhone app is useless to me until I get the Dropbox sync to work. I'm sincerely hoping a fix comes out soon to one app or the other that will allow the Dropbox sync to function correctly. User sam_g described the problem perfectly, it was obvious to me immediately this was the issue and it does seem like a rather glaring oversight....

Still I love the program and can't wait for it to have full functionality syncing to my iPhone.
  • khad, I tried turning dropbox syncing off and on in the desktop app -- and it worked! Odd since the path didn't change, but for whatever reason the iPhone app is now syncing without problem.

Thanks!
  • I did the same thing and it is now working too. Weird, but I'm happy! :)
  • Very strange. I decided to turn Dropbox sync on one more time and it is now working. This app is totally haunted.
  • [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I've been having this same problem. Create a file .ws.agile.1Password.settings (I used textedit so I had to go to dropbox and remove .rtf extension). Rerunning the Mac app. And then resetting dropbox sync on the iPhone fixed my problem. Really strange. I am using 1Password Pro on my iPhone. I started with the iPhone app first and much later installed and started using 1Password on the Mac. Hopefully this will help you debug this. This forum is excelled - just discovered it - and it really helped we get up and running again. Overall I love 1password.[/font]
  • Hi,

Tried the uninstaller trick above - still no joy.

Can the Lion 1Password not handle the config file being in a 1password subdirectory under Dropbox now? Is that the issue?

Regards,
    Chris
  • JimtownSteve
    JimtownSteve
    Community Member
    Admin,

I was able to get my Ipad to sync by following your instructions. However, the keychain file was put in the top level DropBox folder. I would like to have my keychain in a sub-folder (making less likely that I will accidentally delete it). Is it possible to have the keychain in a sub-folder of DropBox? If yes, please provide step-by-step instructions. (What I tried didn't work.)

Thanks.
  • I was experiencing the exact same problem, so I tried turning off Dropbox sync and then turned it right back on. Bingo! Works like a charm now. Strange though, since the file path didn't change.

Thanks!
  • The workaround to disable Dropbox sync on the Mac and re-enable it worked for me on iPhone and iPad. Strange.
  • Hello natecammon and Eric,

Thank you both for updating the thread with your resolutions. Hopefully, other users will benefit from your success stories.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • Same problem here. Syncing with iPhone/iPad was working properly until upgrading to Mac App Store version.

I have tried all the solutions listed in this topic, restarting the Mac and iOS devices, but still no luck.

Sync on iOs starts ("Searching for data file on Dropbox") and, after a few seconds, ends with error:

Failed to begin Dropbox sync. Unknown error: (null)
    Ticket: <OAServiceTicket: status=server error. code=0 body:>

My keychain (1Password.agilekeychain) was inside Dropbox/1Password folder inside my OS X user folder originally. After trying the solutions in this topic, it has been moved by 1Password now to the root of Dropbox/ folder.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2011
    Please try resetting Dropbox syncing on your iOS device:

It looks like some kind of authentication error when 1Password on your iOS device is trying to connect to Dropbox servers.
  • khad wrote:

Please try resetting Dropbox syncing on your iOS device:

It looks like some kind of authentication error when 1Password on your iOS device is trying to connect to Dropbox servers.
    This solution finally worked, but adding a few more steps
    1. Reset drobbox syncing on iOs
    2. Wait until sync error appears
    3. Exit 1password and kill the process (double click on home button, long press and remove 1password
    4. Open 1password again, enter settings and enable dropbox sync
    5. Configure dropbox sync data (user and password, etc.) and wait for a full sync
This discussion has been closed.