Upgrade failed until reboot for the last two releases.

Xavier Michelon
Xavier Michelon
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi.

For the last two updates (6.7.447 -> 6.7.448 and 6.7.448 -> 6.7.450), I experienced an annoying issue. The upgrade failed because the installer could not close some applications. I got the following error message:

For the first upgrade, I immediately rebooted. The upgrade then installed properly. For the second upgrade, I decided to shutdown as many background app (using the system tray and Process Explorer), but I still got the same error message. Again, after a reboot, everything upgraded successfully.

I use BitDefender 2017 (which I disabled for the 2nd upgrade), and Glasswire.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Xavier Michelon,

Thanks for reporting this. Is this the first time you reported this issue?

Unfortunately, we’ve been seeing a few reports where AVs like BitDefender can cause the install to fail and in rare condition, damage the app. That’s why we’re being a bit more aggressive about blocking the install if we can not replace files in use. We are investigating for a better solution.

It is only the web browsers with 1Password extension that you need to shut down but it depends on the anti-malware programs running as well.

Can you email us your 1Password install logs, so we can take a look at why it can’t shut down the programs. Here’s how to grab the logs:

1. Open Windows File Explorer and enter the following in the address bar: %TEMP%\1Password.
    2. Zip up the recent 2-3 log files.
    3. Email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com with your forum username and the link to this thread.

Please let me know when you’ve sent the email.

• Xavier Michelon
    Xavier Michelon
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT

I have sent the file (and got an automated reply from BitBot ;)). I'm not sure there usable information in there, as I could perform installation after rebooting. Next time the problem occurs, I will make sure to save the log file before rebooting.

I have no anti-malware installed permanently on my computer in addition to Bitdefender.

• MikeT
    edited July 2017

Thanks, we'll look into it and reply to your email. We'll timestamp our install logs, so they're not replaced by successful installs.

ref: WIX-62819-933

This discussion has been closed.