Best practice for pushing updates to standard users?

Options

Hi, We're an MSP, we've been using 1PW for years internally and recommending it to our clients. A number of them have adopted it for their teams as well.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm not finding it in the search...
What is the recommended procedure for pushing updates for 1PW to Mac and Windows computers when end users do not have administration rights to manually run the update?

Mac: I expect this is easy enough. We can probably just download the latest 1PW version and push it to the users /Applications directory using Apple Remote Desktop or any of the RMM tools out there. Do you know if the end user will be prompted for admin credentials on the next launch? Would this be the recommended method?

Windows: We update most of our 3rd party windows apps using Ninite. I have requested 1Password be added to their app list, but I'm not holding my breath. Most other business class apps have command line tools we can use to remotely trigger an update as an administrator. How do we push updates in volume to standard users on Windows machines?

PS: If you use ninite, please recommend that they add 1PW. Scroll to bottom of ninite.com and click "Show suggestion form" add add your request.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Frank
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hi @method_chris - Thank you for reaching out to us and I appreciate the details you sent our way.

As for the Mac, you can download 1Password for Mac using the .zip vs .PKG method, deploying to the user application directory will work. You won't need admin credentials on first run. :+1:

1Password 6 for Windows doesn't require admin rights. It will prompt you at the end of the set up but it can be denied and still work. In addition, we use inno-setup for our installer/update. You can use this guide to manage it: http://www.jrsoftware.org/ishelp/

I hope this helped and let us if you have any additional questions. We'll be here to help. :smile: Have a great weekend.

• method_chris
    method_chris
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Thanks @Frank - I'll see what I can do with the inno-setup.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad that helped! We're here if you have any other questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.