To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Confused about vault hierarchy and synchronization

waldhaus1
waldhaus1
Community Member

I am a long time one password user - I believe 8-10 years. Last year I converted to the family account. Family is my wife and I. I no longer recall all the details of the conversion but there are now 4 vaults in our family account: primary, personal, wife personal, and shared. In my mind the way this should work is for the primary vault to contain up to date versions of everything stored in 1Password and manageable by the administrator (me in this case.) My personal and wife personal vaults should contain the information I or my wife need on an ongoing basis, with the shared vault containing those things either of us might want to have access to from time to time, but not generally cluttering up our machines except when we need the information.
My experience is leading me to believe their is no synchronization between any of the vaults. If I change an item in my personal vault it doesn't seem to change in the primary vault leading me to wonder why there is a primary and personal vault. Also changes don't seem to carry from either personal vault to the shared vault. I am not certain of that as I have yet to do a rigorous test. I wouldn't expect changes in my personal vault to be reflected in my wife's personal vault, but I would expect changes to be reflected in the shared vault and also to show up in the primary vault. Otherwise it seems preventing discrepancies will be a nightmare.
Am I totally misunderstanding how this should work?

1Password Version: 6.8 agile bits store
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: OSX 10.12.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Hi @waldhaus1 - Sorry for the confusion and I'll do my best to clarify :smile: Once you have migrated all your existing data over to your Personal vault, you can then delete your Primary vault. Going forward your Personal vault will replace your Primary vault since we take care of all the syncing on our end. When you add a new item to your Personal or Shared vault, the item will sync across your devices (as long as you're signed into the account) in addition to the web app.

You have two actions available - you can move or copy items over to the Shared vault. When you "move" an item from your Personal vault over to the Shared vault, the original item will be moved over to the Shared vault. Any changes made to the item will sync across your devices in addition to the web app. When you "copy" an item from your Personal vault over to the Shared vault, the original item will remain in your Personal vault while a copy of the item will be added to the Shared vault. Any changes you make to the original item within your Personal vault will not sync over to the copy in the Shared vault. Copies do not sync across vaults.

I hope this helped and let me know if you have any additional questions. Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.