1password 6 not appearing in Win 10 x64

Options

Hello,

I've switched over from 1Password 4 to trialing 1password for families. I have already migrated my vault over to 1Password for Families. The problems i'm having are a couple.

1. chrome extension is not working. Every time I click on it to login to a site I see the following in order:

I'm not sure why this is happening. I've tried uninstalling the extension and reinstalling. Restarting my computer several times.

another (possibly unrelated) issue I have is I can't find 1Password 6 on my computer even though I've installed it (several times). It's not in my windows Start menu, not in my programs list nor does it show up in Control Panel under listed programs.

1Password Version: 1password 6 for families
Extension Version: 4.6.8.90
OS Version: windows 10 pro x 64 bit
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello there @raahh,

Thank you for reaching out! I am sorry for the troubles with 1Password.

The thing is that 1Password extension will not work without 1Password app, because it doesn't have any info about your account. The extension needs the app to communicate with. If you do not see 1Password 6 in the list of the installed apps on your PC, it means that it is not installed there. Could you please specify what do you see when you try to install it? I am sure we will get to the bottom of this together, so I will be looking forward to your reply.

Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,

When I run the .exe to install the 1Password 6 desktop app I see 'install and 'cancel'. I click 'install' and it runs through it, extracts the files, installs it then it opens up prompting me to enter 'master password'. I enter it and can login to my vaults. but I can't launch the program again afterwards. It's like it wasn't even installed in the first place. I've tried to 'run as administrator' to install it but that didn't make a difference.

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

How do I know it's installed or where is the default install location?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @raahh,

That doesn't sound right, do you use any anti-malware solutions? Did you try rebooting your computer? One user said a reboot magically made it start working normally.

Do you see the 1Password icon in your notification area?

You can find the install location at %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password, you can enter this in the address bar of Windows File Explorer.

Note: do not run the 1Password installer as an admin, that can result into unexpected side effects.

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT

I have ESET Internet security 10.0.390.0 installed. I did try rebooting and that usually solves ~80% of windows problems :) but not this time.

I did see 1Password icon in my notification area but only right after installing it and if I kept it open. If I exit out of the program or reboot/turn off my computer it's not there anymore and I don't know how to get it back anymore. Except to re-install it again and go through the process all over again.

I tried entering %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password in the win explorer and saw this...

what sort of 'unexpected side effects' and now that I've installed it as admin, is there anything I need to be conerned
    about or do to reverse the side effects?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @raahh,

If you go back up or %LOCALAPPDATA%, you do not see 1Password folder?

Are you using a work computer where they may reset your user profile directory after logging out? It looks like something is resetting your user profile after every reboot.

Try this:

1. Install 1Password 6 as a normal user, confirm 1Password folder exists in your %LOCALAPPDATA% folder
    2. Reboot, confirm it is gone but check your Event Logs to see who is resetting this; here's how:
    3. Click on Start Menu, search for Event Viewer and open it
    4. On the left sidebar, expand Custom Views on the top and then click on Administrative Events
    5. Sort it by date with newest on top, go through to see if you can find anything related to 1Password

One more thing, can you access %TEMP%\1Password to see a recent installer log from today. If yes, look at the log, does it mention any errors at the very end?

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT

I don't see a 1Password folder at that path. Only an 'AgileBits' folder. I'm using this computer for work but I work from home and it's a laptop. No one else touches the computer but me.

Good news, I did as you instructed and the install seemed to have 'stuck' this time. I see 1password in my Win program list and in the control panel. Icon appears in the notification area. I rebooted twice just to make sure. I didn't see any error logs in the event viewer or in the recent installer log.

I'm not sure what the issue was. I didn't do anything different this time than the first time I installed it. Strange. Anyway, thanks for the quick response and the help! much appreciated.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@raahh: What a strange situation! We are glad to hear that the issue has resolved itself and you now have an installed version of 1Password 6. Does the extension work for you now? Please let us know. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Greg
    yes, the extension works fine now. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Greg and Mike, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.