How to do local only on Windows? [Not available in 1Password 6]

Options
ftwilson
ftwilson
Community Member
edited August 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello,

I talked my cousin into buying 1Password, but so far we have only regrets. I've used 1Password on my Mac and iPhone happily for years, but the Windows version is impenetrable to her or to me.

In particular, she does not want to have her passwords stored anywhere but on her Windows computer (and, perhaps eventually, her iPhone) over a LAN in her home. This is what I do. However, on a version of 1Password she downloaded only weeks ago, she cannot figure out how to access preferences and I cannot figure out how to help her. Using videoconferencing, neither of us could see any "gear" icon anywhere to access preferences and control her syncing preferences (and set to local only).

So, with that general complaint for how much less friendly the Windows version is:

1) Where can she find the preferences for the latest Windows version of 1Password (preferably with an image) and
2) How can she set her settings so that her vault(s) stay(s) only on her computer and/or synced only across her local network?

Thanks,

Todd

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @ftwilson,

Thank you for taking time to contact us! I am sorry for the confusion with 1Password on Windows. Let me try to explain everything.

It sounds that you have been using 1Password with a local vault on your Mac, but the situation is different on Windows. 1Password 6 for Windows, which you cousin seems to be using, does not support local vaults at the moment, it is focused on our subscription-based 1Password.com accounts.

The local vaults are making a comeback in 1Password 7 for Windows, but if you want to use local vaults now, you will need to use 1Password 4 for Windows, not 1Password 6. We no longer market it on our website, but please shoot us a message to support+windows@agilebits.com and we will check what we can do for you.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Suapport ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly.

Again, I am sorry for these troubles, we had no intentions to confuse you or your cousin. I will be looking forward to your email.

Cheers,
    Greg

• ftwilson
    ftwilson
    Community Member
    Options

Greg,

Thanks for the explanation. But it leaves my cousin in a pickle. If the local only vaults capacity in 1Password 7 for Windows is coming relatively soon, she might wait. But, if it's going to be a "long time", she might look to another company's solution. She's asked me to ask you: "how soon will 1Password 7 be coming?"

Thanks,

Todd

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ftwilson: Unfortunately, we do not have any timeframes for you at this point. It is hard to make any forecasts with software, so we try not to do that.

Is there a specific reason why you prefer local vaults with WLAN Server sync over 1Password accounts? I thought that you could start using a family account with your cousin and get all the benefits that come with it. I am using one myself and it is very convenient. :) Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• ftwilson
    ftwilson
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

I have sent a direct email to your support email address, as referenced above. The support ID is [#XRS-11369-793].

Thanks,

Todd

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

@ftwilson: Thank you for email! We'll get back to you as soon as possible. :+1:

ref: XRS-11369-793

This discussion has been closed.