Brave Browser(Chrome core) (feature request)

Options

I know for sure, main focus is on Chrome/ChromeOS/Chromium, but sometimes pop up in mind and you just need to share.

There is this other browser which has privacy as a main focus.
Currently It ships with the 1password Helper extension, I think they could fully benefit this plugin.

Also because I believe that just living inside the browser without the need of ports opened up between applications makes it stronger and more secure.

So, IMHO this could replace the helper, also because it's easier to maintain as I'm guessing it'll work out-of-the-box.
Of coarse didn't test this because of the beta state.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Also because I believe that just living inside the browser without the need of ports opened up between applications makes it stronger and more secure.

So, IMHO this could replace the helper, also because it's easier to maintain as I'm guessing it'll work out-of-the-box.

Firstly, you are one smart person for thinking about this (like we have)! I can't go into any of our super secret plans, but I will say I'm super excited about the future of 1Password. :)

As for our new baby becoming friends with Brave, that might be something we can consider in the future, but it's not possible while we are a beta. My biggest concern is more security focused, but also from a development standpoint, it's pretty hard to support Brave. We aren't in control of the code they ship which means that when we make a change we rely on Brave to push it as well. Here's a recent example:

1Password (6.8.BETA-4) No Longer Works in Brave - Help Me! - The Brave Community

In the end of the day, we will do our best to support everything we can. <3

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• srcoder
    srcoder
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, they c/should also improve on that! Like I said; sharing is caring, nothing to rush :-)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Well said. :) :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I was just reading about this browser and it seems cool! So it doesn't work with 1Password?

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

@prime: Although Brave is a Chrome based browser, it doesn't natively support installing Chrome browser extensions. There are a handful of extensions that Brave supports, including our browser extension that communicates directly with the 1Password native apps (on Windows and Mac). These extensions are all packaged and added to the browser by the Brave team.

In the future to get 1Password for Chrome added to Brave, there would need to be enough community interest, and the Brave team would be responsible for pushing out updates.

It's certainly an interesting question, but as I mentioned previously, this isn't something we are worried about until after we are finished with our private beta. For those that are determined to use Brave, there might be an unsupported workaround if you want to take matters into your own hands.

I hope you all have a great weekend!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• dsjr2006
    dsjr2006
    Community Member
    Options

Guess we should also be contacting Brave about allowing 3rd party extensions?

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dsjr2006: Brave has a whole support section dedicated to extension requests. Once we are talking about 1Password for Chrome more publically, that would be the place to give a +1. :)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.