Disable Autofill in Firefox for specific sites

Hi, I use 1Password with Firefox. In this I use the shortcut Ctrl \ to fill in the login. Generally this works without any problems, I know there have been some recent tweaks to the way things are selected.

There are a few web sites that I have multiple login's for the same site. All 4 logins have the same website entered in the entry. Usually when the website is in multiple login entries, the box pop's up and asks you to select which one, unfortunately, it is just picking one at random and entering it.

Any ideas how I can disable this for logins that have the exact same website in them? I just want it to ask me which login to use on the websites that are in multiple logins.

I hope this makes sense...

1Password Version: 6.7.454
Extension Version: 4.6.9.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Spaldo,

That certainly doesn't sound right and it may be we need to attract the attention of the Windows dev team as this would be an issue with the 1Password application itself. Just before we do so though I'd like to learn a little more about the website field and the stored value. When you say they have the same do you mean the xxxx.com bit is the same or are talking about the entire URL, protocol and all being the same?

The reason I ask is although they belong to the same domain something like google.com is technically different from www.google.com just as we also see accounts.google.com being different. This is what we call the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) and if you have one Login item that matches the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) of the open page we would automatically use it in favour of those that matched the registered domain bit of google.com. This is typically the number one cause of odd Login item ordering or not automatically being asked to choose and so on. If you were to copy the URL for the login page and replace the stored website field in all 4 Login items do you start getting asked which to choose or is it still filling with one? If it is we'll definitely want to get the Windows dev team involved and see what might be happening.

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables ,

Thanks for the quick reply. All 4 entries have https://www.icloud.com/ in them

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Spaldo,

So this is odd. I went through the steps to downgrade to the latest stable (I'd been testing the beta) and for me the keyboard shortcut to fill the open page popped up the helper menu as I had 6 test items for iCloud already in my vault from previous experimentation. It means I'm unsure why we're seeing different results.

Can you try something for me please. You'll probably need to replace two to see if there is any difference but can you try creating new Login items using the steps outlined on our page How to save a Login manually in your browser. The two is to ensure 1Password should be asking given we know it isn't for the existing four.

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables,

As soon as I added another login using the above method, it now pops up with the box. The box has the original login that it kept using and the new login I created using the above link listed as 'exact match' then the other 3 remaining logins as 'close match'

It is very strange that they are coming up as close match when they all have that website in it. They also have https://appleid.apple.com/ & https://itunesconnect.apple.com/ in the login if that makes any difference?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Spaldo,

Let's look more closely at one of the ones that 1Password is claiming is a close but not exact match. Can you copy and paste each website field into a reply please and in the same order they appear in the Login item. Also, is the order of the website fields the same across all three close matches? Maybe there's some weird bug that isn't easily triggered that you've somehow stumbled upon.

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017

Hi @Spaldo,

So it seems the ordering of the website fields matters in 1Password 6 for Windows but doesn't in the likes of 1Password for Mac. I will file a report as that doesn't seem right. I can also confirm that the title of the website field doesn't matter and that is consistent over the two platforms.

One thing I find interesting is not one of those Login items match what I would have expected to see. Hopefully it's because you tweaked the new Login item after saving it. A freshly saved Login item, saved while on the Cloud web page should only have had two fields, one for www.icloud.com and another referencing idmsa.apple.com. So I'm hoping you tell us the new Login item was Login 2 and that you added the other fields after saving it.

At least we've isolated the cause of this odd behaviour and hopefully we'll see a fix. As an immediate workaround, if you play a bit of a copy and paste dance so that all the Logins display the same website field ordering you should find 1Password treats them equally.

ref: OPW6-1337

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables ,

Yep, it was a while ago, but, from memory I think I had to add them as those sites required them one day when I was logging in. I think as you mentioned, it only adds 1-2 by default. I think it also adds different thinks if you add it via the iOS app (from memory). Unless that is what caused it?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Spaldo,

Due to the use of iframes we won't work on iOS devices as we don't have the same scope to work in as we do in macOS or Windows. The downloadable extension can interact with frames on a page which is why we can fill on www.icloud.com but as we can't see inside the iframe on iOS we just don't understand there are fields to fill. Sadly we're limited to copy and paste in circumstances like that. I think if you like to tweak the Login items that this likely explains what we're seeing.

With a little editing do all four now always show as exact matches?

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables,

Your thinking was correct. If I change the order of the websites to match (1st, 2nd, etc) each login, then it comes up as exact matches. However, if they are in another order, regardless of what they are called, then they only come up as close matches.

My way of thinking is that this might be a little bug / oversight?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Spaldo,

Oh I agree completely and a bug report has already been filed. My personal belief is users won't expect 1Password to do that and unless there is a solid reason for doing so we shouldn't. At least we got things working for you now with the current version of 1Password 6 for Windows while we look to resolving this.

This discussion has been closed.