To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Would love to employ separate passwords for each vault I create. Must I create separate accounts?

Options
rjr
rjr
Community Member

Recently joined 1Password after having years of success using a mental algorithm to remember hundreds of passwords. I'm a little freaked out having only one password and would like the added security of having a second password to unlock individual vaults but can't seem to figure out how to do this without adding accounts which I don't need.

1Password Version: 6.8 (680015)
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Would love to employ separate passwords for each vault I create. Must I create separate accounts?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

@rjr: 1Password is designed with the use of one password to unlock, both the apps and the 1Password.com service. Even if you use multiple 1Password.com accounts/vault in the app, you'll only be unlocking with the Master Password for the first one. The only scenarios where you can use different Master Passwords in the apps setup in different OS user accounts, or different browsers.

I understand this is a big shift for you, but I think it's important to consider a few important things:

1. A single long, strong, unique password is easier to memorize and, with practice, enter manually.
    2. Computers are much better at patterns than we are, so the most difficult pattern you can establish will not be difficult for a computer to work out — and frankly people can often take advantage of this too.
    3. Using multiple passwords that you have to remember also encourages you to use weaker ones for each, not only due to the cognitive load, but also because of a sense of false security: "If someone guesses this one, they still don't know the others!" I'm not saying that this is true for you necessarily, but it is a human weakness.

In reality, this is making more work for ourselves without adding an additional layer of security. And a single long password will be exponentially harder to guess than multiple passwords adding up to the same length. Put another way, it's like everyone hiding their money in their houses rather than a single impenetrable vault inside a bank. It's just more doors to knock down, rather than being more secure.

Definitely consider using a randomly generated, word-based Master Password. These are easy to memorize and type, and only 4 words is very strong. I'd recommend 5 or more to "future proof" it, so you won't have to change it for the foreseeable future. Just something to consider.

• rjr
    rjr
    Community Member
    Options

All your points are valid and I agree with each of them, still I feel I'll have certain vaults that need not be opened but once a year, if that. I am taking the leap and will try to overcome my apprehension of having to unlock all my vaults each time when I'm normally accessing only a few. For this reason I'm thinking the travel mode, even when not traveling, may be an approach towards these concerns. Thanks for your prompt reply. Much appreciated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hey, I'm right there with you. It's tough to change habits. Using Travel Mode is actually a really cool idea. I hadn't thought of using it for that purpose! Definitely if you're only using these vaults once a year I can see it being a problem to have to remember another Master Password for something so rarely needed. Glad to help, and we're here if you have any other questions at all. Cheers! :chuffed:

• anonymouse
    anonymouse
    Community Member
    Options

I came here with a similar question. I'm just trying out the Family plan.

For normal passwords I'm happy with the ease of use of TouchID (and soon FaceID). However I have some passwords that are "more secure" than others. I want to protect them very well. I don't want them available at a touch of a thumbprint. I don't want them revealed easily if my device is grabbed while 1password is in normal use.

I was hoping 1password would let me create three vaults:

• My stuff - unlocked by my TouchID
    • Family shared stuff - unlocked by family members' TouchID
    • Bank codes, nuclear launch codes etc - requires TouchID AND a long password to open

I am sure you have plenty of users who have a small subset of data they want to protect with extra security. Any chance of this becoming a future feature?

• @anonymouse: We tried something similar to this years ago and it turned out to create more problems than it solved. That said, we do totally understand why folks are asking for this and as things change this may become a more feasible idea. In the meantime, I have a suggestion that doesn't quite mirror what you're asking for, but may still accomplish what you'd like. You could mark all vaults except those most sensitive vaults as Safe for Travel and then enable Travel Mode at all times. This will keep those vaults off your devices unless you sign in via 1Password.com (using your Master Password since Touch ID/Face ID won't work there) and disable Travel Mode. I know this is much more of a fuss than you're looking for since it won't allow opening these vaults directly within the apps, but it may work for you if your need for these items is extremely rare. Just a thought and I'll certainly pass along your feedback regardless. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.