Chrome extension icon greyed out

Options

The Chrome extension is icon greyed out and doesn't work when clicked (brings up a dropdown menu for 1Password). Occasionally, it brightens for a second, then goes grey again.

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: 4.6.8.90
OS Version: OS 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Chrome extension icon greyed out

Comments

• bradybarrows
    bradybarrows
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Same issue. Anyone have a solution?
    1Password Version: 6.8
    Extension Version: 4.6.8.90
    OS Version: OS 10.12.6 (16G29)
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• bradybarrows
    bradybarrows
    Community Member
    Options

So I went to Chrome > About Google Chrome
    then clicked on RELAUNCH CHROME and voila! 1Password icon became active.
    Chrome Version 60.0.3112.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• rohitspujari
    rohitspujari
    Community Member
    Options

Hello folks,

My chrome extension this morning greyed out, it doesn't recognize my primary vault. I'm using mac and the latest version of chrome extension.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @timfl2448 and @rohitspujari,

Can you try what @bradybarrows did to get the 1Password extension working with Chrome and see if that works for you, too?

So I went to Chrome > About Google Chrome
    then clicked on RELAUNCH CHROME and voila! 1Password icon became active

Hi @bradybarrows, and thanks for returning to let us know how you resolved this. :+1::smile:

Chrome was recently updated to version 60.0.3112.90 so relaunching, if it was still open with the previous version, is what it took to get the update cooperating with 1Password.

• timfl2448
    timfl2448
    Community Member
    Options

Yup that was it. I saw a little icon at the top of my browser that said I needed to update. Did the trick

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear that did the trick for you, @timfl2448. When something's not working properly in a web browser one of the troubleshooting steps is "restart browser", although I can be guilty of not doing that right away when Safari has 'glitches' even if I know it's overdue to be restarted. :)

• all9lives
    all9lives
    Community Member
    Options

I'm experiencing the same issue. I've tried @bradybarrows solution, but it's still greyed out. I've restarted chrome, removed and re-installed the extension. When I try to access the 1PW icon, I just the following.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/2dm95pj1uqxqh3v/2017-08-08 at 10.01.png

I've tried on Safari and it's working fine there, but that's not my main browser. I have moved my vaults and had a set them up again in the main 1PW app and 1PW Mini, but those are working fine. Help is appreciated.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi @all9lives,

I think we need to review a diagnostic report. This link will guide you through the steps and has sections for the various supported versions of 1Password.

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+extension@agilebits.com.

Once you've sent the report you should received an automated response from us with a ticket ID. Can you post that ID here please. With access to the report hopefully we can figure this out.

ref: SAH-17396-874

• frankmeisner
    frankmeisner
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue with Firefox 54.0.1.

Restarting the browser doesn't solve the issue.

Thank you for your help.

• mgol
    mgol
    Community Member
    Options

@frankmeisner This is a Chrome-related thread; see https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/80908/firefox-extension-nonfunctional-button-greyed-out for the Firefox-related one.

Most likely you just need to update your 1Password to the latest version available.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

@frankmeisner I hope the thread @mgol linked to helps. If not, feel free to start a new thread and include your various version numbers (1Password, 1Password extension, browser, operating system, etc) in the post so we can understand the situation better. :+1:

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• heffeljc
    heffeljc
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I had the same problem in Chrome then installed the latest version of 1PW.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry for the hiccup there! Glad that updating to the current version helped!

Most folks won’t notice, but a fairly large change has happened with 1Password to support browser integration going forward behind the scenes.

In case it helps anyone else, you will need to be on the latest version of 1Password, the browser, and extension for all of them to be compatible with each other. So just install the latest browser, 1Password, and extension releases so they can all talk to each other:

https://firefox.com
    https://1password.com/downloads/
    https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

That should do the trick, but be sure to let us know if you encounter any further issues! :)

• binarystatic
    binarystatic
    Community Member
    Options

I was also having this problem with Chrome on a Mac. Everything (Chrome, 1Pass, and 1Pass extension) was up to date but the extension icon was still greyed out and non-functional. I also had a problem where I couldn't sign in to the Mac app store. The solution to that problem also fixed my problem with the 1Pass extension:

• Sign out of the Mac App Store (if you're signed in)
    • Close the Mac App Store
    • Sign out of the iTunes store from iTunes then close iTunes
    • Log out of your user account then log back in
    • Sign in to the Mac App Store
    • Sign in to the iTunes Store

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @binarystatic,

I'm glad to hear you resolved the issue. What I can't figure is what those steps were correcting. If a receipt needed refreshed maybe that would help but I can't understand why that would alter the ability of 1Password to connect to the extension. That is very strange indeed.

Do let us know if any odd behaviour returns.

• liamnichols
    liamnichols
    Community Member
    Options

@binarystatic's instructions resolved my issue as well although I wasn't signed into iTunes. I have a feeling that it was just logging out and logging in that might have resolved the issue

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That is so strange! I'm going to save this thread and make sure our Mac developer that worked on the recent changes to the connection from the browser extension sees it just in case it rings a bell with him. He's well versed in the vagaries of the Mac App Store, sandboxing, and that kind of thing, so this may make perfect sense to him where it's just baffling to me…

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Fort Worth, Texas

• REBELinBLUE
    REBELinBLUE
    Community Member
    Options

I was having the same issue, restarting chrome didn't help nor did reinstalling the extension. The latest version was installed but I had to open the main 1password app to get the chrome extension to work, afterwards it now works fine

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

@REBELinBlue: There is a small window of time after updating 1Password that you may see the 1Password logo gray out (as we reset the connection to our extension), but from your description, this may not have been your issue.

We've recently started using native messaging, which has led to minor hiccups for some users. The good news is it sounds like everything is working for you now, but please let us know if that changes.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• random_username1
    random_username1
    Community Member
    Options

@beyer I'm still having this issue. Chrome 60.0.3112.113, 1Pass 6.8.1, 1Pass Extension 4.6.10.90. I've tried reinstalling 1Pass, and the extension. I've tried restarting Chrome and my computer, and still when I install the extension it appears active for a few seconds and then greys out. I'd love a solution! Cheers.

• SDMacTech
    SDMacTech
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue
    Latest chrome Version 60.0.3112.113
    Mac OS 10.11.6
    Greyed out - relaunch chrome doesn't fix. No update to 1Password.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@random_username1 & @SDMacTech,

Please send in a diagnostic report so we can take a look and see what might be causing the issue for each of you. This link will guide you through the steps and has sections for the various supported versions of 1Password.

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+extension@agilebits.com.

Once you've sent the report you should received an automated response from us with a ticket ID. Can you post that ticket ID so we can more easily locate your email and we'll take a look.

• random_username1
    random_username1
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables I've sent mine. Ticket #QQF-53884-462. Thanks!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @random_username1. We'll review and be in touch.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Fort Worth, Texas

ref: QQF-53884-462

• random_username1
    random_username1
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777 I actually just did all 3 of the repair options in the Troubleshooting app (permissions, extended attributes, and launch services) and it seems to have solved it. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Jamie, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well now. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• rohitspujari
    rohitspujari
    Community Member
    Options

I'm facing the same problem, it has greyed out second time in last 30 days. There is no error that tells what might be an issue.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

@rohitspujari Are you seeing it come back after being disabled for a while or does it simply stay disabled? In most cases, you should see it return to active within about 30s. If you're still seeing issues please let us know the version numbers of 1Password, the 1Password extension, your browser, and your operating system so we can know better how to help.

Thanks!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Fort Worth, Texas

• jsimsa
    jsimsa
    Community Member
    Options

I am also experiencing similar issue on OS X

MacOS version 10.12.6
    Chrome version 61.0.3163.79
    1Password version 6.8.1
    1Password extension version 4.6.10.90

The extension button is greyed out most of the time. Every now and then it becomes active for a split second, before going grey again.

As you can imagine, this is very inconvenient.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It sounds like there is an issue with the extension connecting. If you've tried all the usual steps of updating and restarting all the apps involved, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/388871#Comment_388871
    • Your forum username: jsimsa

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.