1Password button in Firefox greyed out not working

Options
13»

Comments

• @alembic: That screen is from 1Password 6 for Windows. If you're having trouble on Mac, it's likely something different. Could you share some more detail about the problem you're encountering? Is the icon in Firefox greyed out entirely? Flickering? Any error messages? This will help narrow down the possible causes. Thanks! :chuffed:

• alembic
    alembic
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate, sorry for the cross-post; I was hoping an answer to my query was somehow related to this issue:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/84138/browser-plugin-problem-with-firefox-57

• @alembic: D'oh, I should have remembered I saw your name earlier! I'll admit, I skipped over you earlier there (sorry!) as you're in much more capable hands with Rudy. 1Password for Mac doesn't have explicit settings for native messaging the way 1Password for Windows does, so, unfortunately, you'll not find anything illuminating in that screenshot. I assure you, you're in good hands with Rudy, but I'll pop over to that other thread real quick and give it a closer read. Perhaps I'll be able to pick up where he left off to get some movement there before he's back on Monday. :chuffed:

• bbulkow
    bbulkow
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! This post is the #1 google result for this problem. My situation was fixed - after a lot of reinstalling and cursing - by enabling Native Messaging. Hopefully you can get that solution more visible across your website and, although you can't control google, make sure the other topics are well-seen?

Thanks for having a great product and solution when I needed it!

• I'm glad to hear 1Password is working well for you now, @bbulkow, despite the frustration you experienced. Unfortunately, when it comes to connection issues with the 1Password extension, the source doesn't always revolve around native messaging. Hopefully you found this thread helpful, nonetheless. :)

• Endareth
    Endareth
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to add that switching to Native Messaging (as found on this thread) also resolved things for me. Any chance of you guys adding in some automatic detection for when this is needed?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Native Messaging will be the only option going forward, but that transition isn't fully complete yet. Looking forward to it though, as things stabilize in the browser ecosystem. :)

• Raccoon
    Raccoon
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hello there. I am using Windows 10, latest release. Yesterday I got myself 1Password 6 (Version 6.8.496) and imported everything from 1Password 4. Then I went ahead and removed the old version including the browser extention. Then I rebooted my PC and reinstalled the browser extension (Version 4.6.12.90) for Firefox (Version 58.0) . Unfortunately, after going through all the entries here and double-checking everything including if Native Messaging is enabled (in FirefoxManifest.json), I can not get the browser extension to work (greyed out) . Can it be that my browser is too new? Does anyone else still have the problem? Thanks :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Raccoon I'd like to ask you for a little bit of information to help us dig into this further. First, check your Firefox Browser Console and copy any logs you see there.

Next, create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• The logs from Firefox
    • A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/80897/1password-button-in-firefox-greyed-out-not-working/p3
    • Your forum username: Raccoon

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• Raccoon
    Raccoon
    Community Member
    Options

Here is my Support ID Number #WAB-28921-271

Thank you for your help.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon
    Community Member
    Options

Here is my Support ID Number #WAB-28921-271

Thank you for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Raccoon: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: WAB-28921-271

• Joshua Sosa
    Joshua Sosa
    Community Member
    Options

I use 1Pass 4 and the extension is grayed out. I installed 1Pass 6 from the downloads page, but it appears to be for an online subscription service, which is not what I want. The extension is now solid, but looks like it's seeing the 1Pass 6 and not my local vault. How do I get it to see my local stuff?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Joshua Sosa: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password for Windows version 6 works only with a 1Password.com account, so if you'd prefer to stick with using the standalone app with local vaults, you'll need to uninstall that. Just install the version you purchased from your license email and you'll be all set with that. Just keep in mind you'll need to be up to date through at least version 4 in order for it to work with Firefox, as they made some significant changes there last year. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Joshua Sosa
    Joshua Sosa
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick response! I uninstalled version 6 and still have version 4 working normally. It works well with Chrome, but remains grayed out in Firefox. I uninstalled the Firefox 1Password extension and used the Preferences > Install button from the version 4 app to reinstall, but the button is still grayed out in Firefox and unusable.

The 1Password 4 applications says it is 4.6.2.626 with no new updates.
    The 1Password Firefox extension says it is 4.7.0.90
    Firefox says it is 59.0.2 with no new updates.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Joshua Sosa,

Can you check one of 1Password 4's settings for me please. Check to see if the menu option Help > Advanced > Use Native Messaging protocol is enabled. If it isn't please select it. You will need to restart Firefox if it is already running. If the problem persists there is something else we should check but it does depend on what version of Windows you're running, can you let us know what version you have please.

• Joshua Sosa
    Joshua Sosa
    Community Member
    Options

That worked! Thanks for the help!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent :smile:

This discussion has been closed.