Updated to 6.8 and PIN was saved in password field, so password was "lost". Grr

Options

Just updated to 6.8 and tried to log into an account that requires both a password and a PIN. The PIN was saved in the password field and the password was "lost". Had to reset password using password generator, then the "copy to clipbaoard" function didn't work and had to reset again, generating a new password, which I copied and pasted into a Word doc.

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Updated to 6.8 and PIN was saved in password field, so password was "lost". Grr

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @M2,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please let us know what the URL to the login page for this site is?

Thanks.

Ben

• M2
    M2
    Community Member
    Options
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@M2 Did you use the password generator for the initial Login? 1Password saves all generated passwords as a safety net to guard against this situation.

As for the issue itself, was this on the USAA change password page or just the regular sign in page? The main page there only asks for a username and password, so I'm thinking it was the change password page. If so, could you save the page as a web archive file in Safari and send to us at support+extension@agilebits.com? I'd like to take a look at the page and see if there's a way we can improve. Don't post that file here since it could potentially contain some of your personal information such as your username, even if you can't see it on the screen.

Thanks!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• M2
    M2
    Community Member
    Options

It was on the regular sign in page. The way USAA's sign in system works, the user ID and password are required to get through the first screen and the PIN is required to get through the second. On the first screen, 1Password populated my user ID correctly but put my PIN into the password field.

Once I determined 1Password didn't have my USAA password stored anywhere, I used the password generator. I selected "copy to clipboard before filling", but when I went back to 1Password to update my USAA record by pasting it in, it hadn't saved the password. I had to go through the process again, but this time I manually (i.e., ctrl-c) copied the password from the generator to a Word doc, from which I updated my USAA record. I've had this problem before with 1Password. In fact, I usually remember to manually copy the password because I've had to duplicate the process before.

You asked for the file from Safari, but I use Chrome. Could that make a difference?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for that description, @M2, but I'm still not 100% clear on how the PIN was stored in your item. Do you remember how you went about saving your item initially; was it in the main application or in the browser extension? If saved from the browser, that main sign in form only shows a username and password field, so adding the PIN would have been a separate step somewhere. I'm sorry for not understanding better, but it's important to be clear on this point so we can better understand the problem you had.

I asked for the Safari file only because Safari's Web Archive format downloads the page in a way that most closely replicates how it functions in the browser including images, scripts, styling, etc. Chrome could be somewhat useful, but I want us to fully understand how the PIN came to be in the Login so we can know best which page might have contributed to the problem. I previously speculated that the change password page might have been involved, but it wasn't clear to me from your answer whether this was in play or not.

Thanks for helping us put the pieces together. :)

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

This discussion has been closed.