Auto update failed, now won't uninstall or reinstall

Options

Windows 10, current build, all updates done

G'day,

Yesterday I got notified about an update, which I told to install, and which failed, and supposedly rolled back.

After a reboot this morning, I had no integration with either Firefox or Chrome (both current builds).

I downloaded the current Windows version of 1Password and install failed as per the update.

On uninstalling 1Password, it said it couldn't uninstall due to file "Agile1pAgent.exe"

It will also not reinstall because of the same file, which Windows won't let me delete, nor will it let me delete "1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe".

So currently I'm stuck without 1Password, which is basically completely crippling my internet usage.

Any suggestions?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: W10 current
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@juiceman: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It sounds like you're using 1Password 4, which does not have automatic updates. It sounds like when you tired to install the latest version, Windows or some other software had those files locked so they could not be updated. Please restart Windows and install the latest version from our website:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4

If you're still having trouble, it may help to boot into safe mode to install, if you're not able to stop something else from hanging things that 1Password needs to update. Let me know how you get along!

• bobatbob
    bobatbob
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar issue but have 6.2.333 loaded on a Windows 10 laptop. I am being asked continually to Update to 6.7.454 and it looks like it downloads the file but then just closes the 1Password App and I have to restart to the same version and get the same update message all the time. Will not fill in websites as the Firefox extension also not working. I am still able to use 1Password normally on my Android Tablet and sync this to the main Vault.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bobatbob: Indeed, sorry about that. You're far enough behind on updates (last year) that we've changed the process since then. Just to be on the safe side, please update to 6.4 and then make sure you can update to the latest version (6.7) from within the app normally under Settings > Options > Updates. That will get you compatibility with the latest browser extensions. Let me know how it turns out!

• bobatbob
    bobatbob
    Community Member
    Options

Done and done. Both Windows and Firefox now updated and working. Thanks. Not sure how I was so far behind on the Windows version though. I have only had this computer for a few months and have checked for Updates regularly. And, no, I don't want to update automatically. But many thanks for such a quick and simple solution. I am travelling so thought it might have been a problem in the Hotel.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

First off, thanks for letting me know! Sounds like you're in good shape. Indeed, network conditions can make it pretty difficult, and older versions of 1Password were less tolerant of these issues...so it may have been a bit of a Catch-22. The good news is that if you're up to date now, the update process much quicker and more robust. But if you do run into any further issues, we're here for you! :)

• juiceman
    juiceman
    Community Member
    Options

Booting into safe mode allowed me to delete those files, and then it installed, and now works, so all good. Should have thought about that myself, sorry about that.

And I think we're looking at "automatic updates" a little differently - I was using it in terms of saying "why, yes, just install that for me now seeing as you're asking."

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@juiceman: Good news! :+1: We are glad to hear you've figured it out. We have automatic (background) updates in 1Password 6, but not in 1Password 4, hence the confusion. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Thanks! :)

Cheers,
    Greg

• bobatbob
    bobatbob
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe the same issue or maybe something different.. I think 1Password tried an automatic update this morning in Asia - I got a message 'Error occurred trying to rename a file in a destination directory - Code 183'. Now I cannot access the laptop version again - either the Windows App or the Firefox extension but the Android App still working.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey there @bobatbob,

I am sorry to hear about your troubles! Do you happen to have an AV/anti-malware software on your PC? We had similar reports from the users of McAfee and Malwarebytes, so please let us know. Thank you! :+1:

• bobatbob
    bobatbob
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I have McAfee Total Protection installed and running. Bob

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bobatbob: Please try to do the following:

1) Uninstall 1Password 6/1Password 4 via the Control Panel (if it is installed).
    2) Reboot.
    3) Download the latest version from here, but DO NOT install it yet: https://1password.com/downloads/
    4) Disconnect the Internet and disable McAfee temporarily.
    5) Install 1Password 6/1Password 4.
    6) Re-enable McAfee/Internet after that.

Let me know if it works. Thanks!

• bobatbob
    bobatbob
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that. I am at work overseas on a live project so cannot do this for a few hours but will report back within 24 hours.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem. We're here any time. Good luck with the project! :)

• bobatbob
    bobatbob
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks; I think I have done as suggested above. I guess I will not know for a few days. Hopefully, you will not hear from me for a while.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bobatbob: Please let us know if the issue remains. We are always here for you. :+1: :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.