1Password extension in Firefox not working with 1Password 4 for Windows

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Firefox Extension Nonfunctional - Button Greyed Out.

Comments

• mintern
    mintern
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this same issue, except I'm using the 4.6.2.625 1Password for Windows client. I'm on Firefox 54, and I have version 4.6.9 of the extension. The extension had been working just fine, but it has been greyed out and unclickable for a day or two now. The Chrome extension is still working just fine.

It doesn't look like I've upgraded Firefox in the last 10 days. I refreshed my Firefox profile, so I have reinstalled all extensions. I've restarted my computer and the 1Password Helper multiple times. Any ideas for what else I can try?

• mgol
    mgol
    Community Member
    Options

@mintern have you made sure your 1Password (the app, not the extension) is up-to-date? The Firefox version used doesn't matter here, it's the extension that got the update.

• mintern
    mintern
    Community Member
    Options

As I mentioned, I'm using 4.6.2.625, which is the latest 1Password 4 (standalone) version that's available. I confirmed today that I have the latest version; I believe it was released within the last month.

• mintern
    mintern
    Community Member
    Options

I just downgraded the Firefox extension to 4.6.8, and it's working correctly again. I'm guessing that 4.6.9 doesn't support the 1Password 4 client?

For now at least, I've disabled automatic updates for the add-on.

Thanks for helping!

• kgscott
    kgscott
    Community Member
    Options

@minterm - I think I'm in the same situation you were in. Where did you find the 4.6.8 extension to download?

• kgscott
    kgscott
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to grab it from this URL: https://cache.agilebits.com/dist/1P/ext/1Password-4.6.8.xpi

But I had to find a machine with an older version of IE to download it. Windows 10 with current browsers threw a certificate fit I couldn't bypass.

Fixed my issue, thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @mintern & @kgscott,

1Password 4 for Windows (4.6.2.624 & 4.6.2.625 but we recommend the latter) does work with the new WebExtensions Firefox extension so hopefully it will be a matter of an option being enabled or us looking to see what isn't working. Sticking with an older version of the extension isn't a practical solution because the release of Firefox 57 later this year will mean the older extension will not work at all.

1Password 4 for Windows does have a new requirement, that of Microsoft .NET 4.6.2 or later so this might be one reason it isn't working. The installer doesn't make this requirement known so it could be cause. The other thing to check is an option in 1Password 4 for Windows. In the menu Help > Advanced is
    Use WebSocket protocol enabled or is Use Native Messaging protocol enabled. It needs to be the latter rather than the former.

If you find the new Firefox extension still isn't working let us know. We may need to move the support to email and request a diagnostic report but we'll see if anything above resolves it first.

• cactus55
    cactus55
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I have this problem on my iMac running macOS 10.12.6. The 1Password button has suddenly become greyed out and refreshing Firefox, reinstalling the 1password add-on etc doesnt cure it.

Any ideas anyone?

Edit: Discovered there is an update to 1P 6.8 in the App Store. Once updated problem solved :)

• Carl131
    Carl131
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, this was a problem for me after Firefox autoupgraded to 55.0.1 today. However, the switch to 'Use Native Messaging protocol' fixed it for me. The (i) is not longer greyed out, and works! Thanks littlebobbytables!

• saturnleia
    saturnleia
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this issue too. 1Password 4 on Windows 8.1, Firefox 54.0.1 (it says it's up to date with the latest release), 1Password extension just downloaded from this site and reinstalled a couple of times. It was working a day or two ago, but now no go - it's not grayed out, but it's not clickable at all.

• saturnleia
    saturnleia
    Community Member
    Options

Nevermind, updated 1Password 4 to the latest version and that fixed the browser extension issue. Hope that helps someone else!

• seedy
    seedy
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Similar issue here. Updated 1Password for Windows (Windows 6.2.9200) yesterday to version 4.6.2.625 after receiving a prompt via the auto-update check. However, my FF (54.0.1) extension (v4.6.9) works, albeit very slowly - the button is also greyed out. I sometimes wait 5 seconds or so for the extension dropdown to respond but once it does, it works fine. The above .NET update is already installed on my machine.
    (I already have "Use Native Messaging protocol" set).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @seedy,

Just to ensure I correctly understand, the extension is technically working in that it is communicating with 1Password and pages are filling, the issue is that 1Password is slow to respond?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dahanbn,

The transition with Firefox made this problematic based on how 1Password 4 works in this regard. With Chrome we could support a slightly easier transition but with Firefox we went from one version of the extension that could only communicate via WebSockets to one that could only use Native Messaging. I don't know for certain but there is the chance that a minor update to 1Password 4 for Windows will now remove the menu option entirely given we've completed the switch in the two supported browsers (Chrome and Firefox). I'll leave it to those more experienced with 1Password 4 for Windows to address though.

• seedy
    seedy
    Community Member
    Options

Yes @littlebobbytables the extension does respond, does form fill and appears so far to be working as expected - apart from its initial response time. The icon is greyed out - it wasn't previously - and the drop down menu takes approx 5 seconds to appear whenever it is clicked.

• fonebone42
    fonebone42
    Community Member
    Options

For me it also helped going back to the previous version of the plug-in.
    When looking at the browser console when trying to use the 4.6.9. plug-in, I could see the following:

This extension does not have permission to use native application 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password (or the application is not installed) NativeMessaging.jsm:216
    this.NativeApp</this.startupPromise< resource://gre/modules/NativeMessaging.jsm:216:9

• fonebone42
    fonebone42
    Community Member
    Options

I've just seen the note above

In the menu Help > Advanced is
    Use WebSocket protocol enabled or is Use Native Messaging protocol enabled. It needs to be the latter rather than the former.

and after having switched to native messaging protocol, everything is fine again with the plug-in version 4.6.9!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@seedy: That's really odd. Native Messaging has been much faster for me than WebSockets ever was. What you're describing sounds like 1Password 4 is just trying to load the data, which won't depend on the communication method used. Are you saying it's faster if you switch back to 4.6.8 and WebSockets? Or are you perhaps using an OPVault and having performance issues because of its higher overhead?

• seedy
    seedy
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

@brenty I've switched back to 4.6.8 and Native Messaging - works fine now. (incidentally, 4.6.9 wasn't working as well as I'd first thought, eg: https://www.razorsbydorco.co.uk/customer/account/login/ wasn't auto-filling.

@kgscott Thanks for the link for v.4.6.8

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@seedy: Do you mean WebSockets? I don't believe that there's any way to use 4.6.8 with Native Messaging in Firefox, as only 4.6.9 and newer is the new WebExtension.

It sounds like things are working for you now either way, but be sure to let us know if you encounter any further issues!

• seedy
    seedy
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty
    No, I have 'Use Native Messaging protocol' selected in the 1Password for Windows (4.6.2.625) client and my FF (54.0.1) 1Password extension is version 4.6.8 and all is working fine.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @seedy,

1Password extension 4.6.8 does not support Native Messaging in Firefox, so it falls back to Websocket in your case. It means that we still need to find out why 4.6.9 doesn't behave well on your machine. Could you please try to reproduce the issue and then share a diagnostics report with us? It will be really helpful.

Once you send the report, you should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Suapport ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. Thank you! We will be looking forward to your email.

Cheers,
    Greg

• seedy
    seedy
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

@Greg
    Hi Greg. Apologies if this is not much help but I've taken the plunge after being very satisfied with 1Password and opten for an account and upgraded to 1Password 6.

Incidentally, the FF add-on icon is still greyed out - which I assume is correct behaviour - but all is working well.
    Thank you

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @seedy,

It should not be grayed at all, that would mean that it cannot connect to 1Password. However, I just replied to your newer thread, which suggested that 1Password is working now in Firefox for you? Please let us know.

• seedy
    seedy
    Community Member
    Options

It's still greyed, but strangely - by what you say - working well.

• seedy
    seedy
    Community Member
    Options

Just adding a screenshot of the icon to clarify how it looks - pretty sure the grey area was clear on previous versions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@seedy: Ah, indeed. We have changed the icon relatively recently to stand out more, especially with Firefox "dark mode". Sorry for the confusion that's caused you.

• seedy
    seedy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for clarifying @brenty

This discussion has been closed.